Its Been a Long Time

Its been about 15 years since I built a computer and recently I decided to do it again and set a budget of £800 (that did not last long) and ended up paying just over £1000. I just finished a build with the intention of using it for photography, video editing and a little gaming on the side. 

Case: Corsair Carbide spec delta

PSU: EVGA 750 BQ

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

MOBO: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite

RAM: 32GB HyperX Fury 3200

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 6GB oc

SSD: Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2

This is all running stock with no plans to overclock but a couple of upgrades are in the works. 

So other than being ripped off on the price, how did I do?

(I know the GPU mounting screws are missing in the picture, I did put them in after the pic was taken)

20200627_062512.jpg

20200627_062410.jpg

20200627_062631.jpg

14 minutes ago, Alltheshots said:

-snip-

That's a fine rig you've got there, and welcome back to PC building! I'd say your next logical upgrade would be a dedicated CPU cooler, a better GPU, and CableMod cables (although you somehow managed to avoid the ketchup+mustard cables, good on you)

Quote or mention me or I won't be notified of your reply!

Main Rig: R7 3700x New!, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB, ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming New!, Corsair RGB 2x16GB 3200MHz New!, 512GB Crucial P5, 120GB Samsung SSD, 1TB Segate SSHD, 2TB Barracuda HDD

MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Max, 32GB RAM)

Links: My beautiful sketchy case | My website

2 minutes ago, ImAlsoRan said:

That's a fine rig you've got there, and welcome back to PC building! I'd say your next logical upgrade would be a dedicated CPU cooler, a better GPU, and CableMod cables (although you somehow managed to avoid the ketchup+mustard cables, good on you)

Thanks, im looking at getting an AIO for the CPU (50c on idle seems a bit high to me) but it would either need to be a 120mm on the back or a 280/360 on the front. Aparently there is room up top for a 240mm but it looks a little tight for space. 

Options so far are 

360mm Coolermaster ML360 r RGB

360mm Arctic liquid freezer 2

120mm NZXT Kraken M22

Cant really decide between them for 2 reasons

1. 360mm seems overkill as I'm not planning to overclock

2. It turns out I'm an RGB whore. I've been saying for years how dumb RGB is but here I am, first build in a while and the case I bought has RGB. I'm so disappointed in myself lol. 

Side note* I'm swapping out the case fans for some ARGB ones in a couple of days 😂 

Looks pretty nice so far for what you got. Also, welcome to the forums!! Yeah you pretty much set a budget on gaming hardware and manage to go over it by 100-200 USD. 🤔🤔 (Looking at myself)

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

5 hours ago, CommanderAlex said:

Looks pretty nice so far for what you got. Also, welcome to the forums!! Yeah you pretty much set a budget on gaming hardware and manage to go over it by 100-200 USD. 🤔🤔 (Looking at myself)

And then tax comes in...

Main Rig: R7 3700x New!, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB, ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming New!, Corsair RGB 2x16GB 3200MHz New!, 512GB Crucial P5, 120GB Samsung SSD, 1TB Segate SSHD, 2TB Barracuda HDD

• 2 weeks later...

So this build took a little sidestep.  Its current condition is not good but not critical.

Airflow is pretty poor in the case i have (corsair spec-delta carbide) so I drilled holes in the front cover to try and help things along but that made little difference. I then decided to get a 240mm aio (Deep Cool captain 240pro V2) to install in the top of the case which according to the case specs I should be able to fit. Turns out it might fit if I removed my ram or took the fans off the rad but it would still be very tight for length.

While removing the stock heatsink I've managed to dribble thermal paste across the motherboard and have also gotten some paste on the cpu pins. I've cleaned it all up as best I could but the paste in the cpu pins is still there so I'll be going to work on that soon with some isopropyl alcohol and a soft toothbrush. I've also ordered a Sahara P75 case for my build which will hopefully have no issues with space.

The moral of this story is... Don't be a me, really think about your build before you buy the parts and also think about future upgrades or you might end up with this...

20200711_185325.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2020 at 11:00 AM, Alltheshots said:

-snip-

Oh no, sorry to hear that! Is the build doing fine now?

10 hours ago, ImAlsoRan said:

Oh no, sorry to hear that! Is the build doing fine now?

Almost, I've rebuilt in a new case: 

But I also have what seems to be a faulty external HDD: