ME MONEY WHAT DO

Okay so, I hope you didn't get a stroke reading that title. I have about 1k€ that I can spend on something nice. Been saving up a while and I can finally go for it, but I'm having a really hard time picking what makes the most sense atm. There's 3 options:

A TV, VR or a PC Upgrade (Plus monitor) for 1440p 144hz gaming.

TV: I am still using a 1080p Grundig that I bought 11 years ago and it's about time that one gets replaced. OLED would be preferable, but I'm up for anything, as long as I get some really nice blacks and decent HDR. I do play games on it, but up until now it only has been Nintendo consoles, so input lag isn't too much of a dealbreaker. Although I might actually get the PS5, so I dunno. Can't be horrible, let's leave it at that.

VR: I think my current desktop PC should be able to run any VR goggles. (Ryzen 7 2700X, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM) Or at least I hope so. Although I do not like the concept of these goggles to be bound to the PC, I'm not entirely sure if the mobile ones are worth the money. I get easily motionsick too, so yeah.

PC: With what I mentioned above I think 144hz in 1440p is out of the picture and I already talked to a buddy of mine who said that this is not something I can achieve with that kind of money. Even with selling the "old" parts and including that into the price. Maybe there is a way?

WWYD? :D

My gut is very torn between the TV and the VR. PC upgrade is a bit behind simply cause of the discussion with my friend. TV would get rid of some really old tech, but not used quite as much as the VR goggles. I haven't tried VR yet, but I see myself getting heavily invested into it. If I find one in my price range that doesn't cause headaches after 5 minutes. But it would also get me to move more again, lose a few of those extra pounds. Beatsaber might actually save me from a heart attack, haha.Then again, I remember that old TV being the first Full HD screen I ever had and watching Planet Earth on it absolutely boggled my mind back then. From what I've seen in shops I am sure that I'll get that excitement back with 4K.

This isn't supposed to be a recommendation thread for specific hardware, I just want some opinions, if ya'll don't mind. (I hope this is the right place to discuss this, if not, I apologize for making the mods move it.) I'll ask for specifics in the other forums here, once I made up my mind.
Cheers!

I would do whichever was more beneficial, if you use the TV a lot and its starting to bother you, or if you play on your computer a lot and want to have a better experience. Whichever on you plan on using the most and it would actually be worth you putting the money into.

VR:

If you get easily motion sick you should stay away from VR. I would definitely recommend waiting to pull the trigger on it until after you have tried it out.

P.S. Mobile VR sucks. If you do end up getting VR get it for your PC, like the Vive or the Rift S.

4k TV:

You can get a 50" 4k smart TV with HDR for less than 500€, so if you want to get one it's definitely within your budget.

Upgrade PC and get 1440p 144hz monitor:

Getting a 1440p 144hz monitor and a GPU that can handle it wouldn't be out of your budget so idk what your buddy was on about. A 2070 Super is 550€ and a 1440p 144hz monitor is 300€ to 450€. So you are looking at spending pretty much all of it but it's not out of your budget.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

It's a little difficult testing out VR at the moment. There is nothing set up at the electronics shops here anymore due to covid. I probably could just order one, test it out a few hours and send it back, but that's a lot of hassle, haha. Yeah, you are probably right then. It's not like I'm never gonna treat myself again, maybe VR should be further down the line. The more I think about it, the more I would love a mobile version. And if they suck right now, I should probably wait.

Considering that I would sell the 2060 after it, too, I can totally squeeze that in. He said I'd need a 2080 Ti to play new games with that resolution and refresh rate. Which would have blown the budget. Oh well, I gotta give this a good think again then.

TV seems the safest bet at the moment.

Thank you! I don't have to make a choice soon, but this helped clear it up a bit 😃

if you are going to go for a pc upgrade you might want to wait till rysen 4000, radeon big navi and nvidias ampere come out 

Please excuse my spelling

3 hours ago, Fipsmeister said:

He said I'd need a 2080 Ti to play new games with that resolution and refresh rate. Which would have blown the budget.

Unless you plan on playing with ultra high settings, you probably don't need a 2080 TI. You will be fine for some medium (in some cases even high) setting gaming with an RX 5700 or even a 2070 Super.

https://www.gpucheck.com/compare/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-vs-nvidia-geforce-rtx-2070-super/amd-ryzen-7-2700-vs-amd-ryzen-7-2700/ 

It is worth noting that the 2070 Super is a very power hungry card and requires a decent power supply unit. So, you might have to get a new one(check pcpartpicker to see how much you need) In terms of memory, the RTX 2070 Super's 8 GB VRAM is more than enough for modern games and should not cause any bottlenecks. Even 4K gaming is joyous on this card , and with a little tweaking to your AA settings, it'd be hard to imagine a title not capable of 60 fps on average. 

If you want to do the pc upgrade wait for the new nvidia cards to come out. 1440p 144hz is with blowing the money on if you use your pc all the time. I recently moved from 1080p to 1440p, I wish I would of done it years ago

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

57 minutes ago, Raina21 said:

Unless you plan on playing with ultra high settings, you probably don't need a 2080 TI. You will be fine for some medium (in some cases even high) setting gaming with an RX 5700 or even a 2070 Super.

https://www.gpucheck.com/compare/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-vs-nvidia-geforce-rtx-2070-super/amd-ryzen-7-2700-vs-amd-ryzen-7-2700/ 

It is worth noting that the 2070 Super is a very power hungry card and requires a decent power supply unit. So, you might have to get a new one(check pcpartpicker to see how much you need) In terms of memory, the RTX 2070 Super's 8 GB VRAM is more than enough for modern games and should not cause any bottlenecks. Even 4K gaming is joyous on this card , and with a little tweaking to your AA settings, it'd be hard to imagine a title not capable of 60 fps on average. 

Okay, I also just checked the size of the card and it'll mean I'd have to get a new case, too. Yeah, and with what DarthEoin said, I think I better just wait a bit longer for that upgrade. What I have is fairly new anyway and it served me quite nicely during the last year.

A TV it is! I've been eyeing the LG C9 ever since LTT posted the video on it. I'll have a look around the forum to see if that is still the TV I should buy. I'm sure there are plenty of discussions about that one and it's competitors already.