Amd GPU Drivers Not Installing Properly On Pop! OS

Go to solution Solved by Master Disaster,
1 hour ago, SteamBakedPotato said:

Sorry For the late reply, but here's what that outputs:

Screenshot from 2020-06-23 14-57-53.png

So I just spent half an hour playing around on my Ubuntu install to see if I could replicate your issue and you're correct. By default Blender does not use my 5700 XT.

I did some digging and again you're correct, you do need the pro driver to fix the issue but its not as simple as just installing the driver. You need to specify that you want it to install OpenCL.

If you've already installed the Pro driver you need to uninstall first (obviously skip this is you haven't installed it yet)

Open terminal

Issue cd /usr/bin

Issue ./amdgpu-pro-uninstall -y

When its finished reboot

To fix blender

Download the driver

Extract it

Open terminal

Change directory to the root of the driver

Issue ./amdgpu-pro-install -y --opencl=legacy,pal

When its finished reboot

Now in Blender you can go in to Preferences and enable OpenCL rendering. I should note this worked with my 5700XT but since my card is a Navi and yours is an Islands based card I cannot guarantee this will work for you (though theres no reason why it shouldn't).

Insert other media

Specs:

i5 7400

RX 480 4GB

Latest Version of Pop! OS

I was recently attempting to install amd gpu drivers on a new installation of pop! os when these errors occured. I have created a fresh copy of pop! os and attempted to install again with the same result. Keep in mind I am relatively new to linux so I may have missed obvious troubleshooting steps or even steps to install in the first place. Thanks In advance :)

Screenshot from 2020-06-23 00-25-51.png

| 1440P 144hz 27" | RX 480 | i5-7400 | 8Gb DDR4 2666mhz | Audiotechnica ATH-AD700X |

Open Source > Ajar Source > Closed Source

They are, but applications like blender do not detect a GPU, So I would assume installing the pro drivers would fix that, though it might be some other error

| 1440P 144hz 27" | RX 480 | i5-7400 | 8Gb DDR4 2666mhz | Audiotechnica ATH-AD700X |

54 minutes ago, SteamBakedPotato said:

They are, but applications like blender do not detect a GPU, So I would assume installing the pro drivers would fix that, though it might be some other error

Before we do anything please do lshw -c video in console so we can check the existing driver is still in a working state.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

11 minutes ago, SteamBakedPotato said:

You must have another issue because that is totally normal and the GPU Pro driver from AMD is only designed to work with Fire Pro cards. Installing it with your GPU will do nothing.

In case you want to try anyway it should be as simple as download the driver, extract it, open terminal, CD into the driver folder then issue ./amdgpu-pro-install and follow the installer through.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, SteamBakedPotato said:

So I just spent half an hour playing around on my Ubuntu install to see if I could replicate your issue and you're correct. By default Blender does not use my 5700 XT.

I did some digging and again you're correct, you do need the pro driver to fix the issue but its not as simple as just installing the driver. You need to specify that you want it to install OpenCL.

If you've already installed the Pro driver you need to uninstall first (obviously skip this is you haven't installed it yet)

Open terminal

Issue cd /usr/bin

Issue ./amdgpu-pro-uninstall -y

When its finished reboot

To fix blender

Download the driver

Extract it

Open terminal

Change directory to the root of the driver

Issue ./amdgpu-pro-install -y --opencl=legacy,pal

When its finished reboot

Now in Blender you can go in to Preferences and enable OpenCL rendering. I should note this worked with my 5700XT but since my card is a Navi and yours is an Islands based card I cannot guarantee this will work for you (though theres no reason why it shouldn't).