RGB Desk lighting - Case integration or stand alone

The_Ellimist

Hi Folks,

I'm hoping someone has had a crack at this and has some good input. I recently built a new case and well RGB has come a long way in 5 years. I'm using a corsair AIO now so my case will go down the corsair route but the rest of the lighting in the room that i use regularly at night I'd like some opinions on.

I'm looking at using the icue lighting strips on the back of the monitor. Although in the pics it looks like its well lit its actually quite dull at night due to the distance between the monitor and wall. I'm also thinking about using the icue LS100 strips around the underside of the desk so I can manage different patterns.

Currently the bookcase is done using modified ikea lights that are on a tradfri controller so that was the other option I was thinking of for lighting up the desk. The desk is sit stand so any cables that go to the any lights need to either be powered by a controller mounted on the desk or cables need to be able to be really long for an umbilical.

All in all I'd like to ask what people are currently using for RGB around the workstation and what they found works and doesn't. Also if anyone is using the corsair kits if you wouldn't mind weighing in so I can get an idea of what they are like real world as I need a few kits to get it the way I want.

For the case I'm thinking about using the QL120's and a commander pro system as iCue has been pretty good overall and modding car based cold cathodes just doesn't need to be done anymore it seems.

Thanks,

IMG_0708.JPG

IMG_0709.JPG

5 hours ago, The_Ellimist said:

Hi Folks,

I'm hoping someone has had a crack at this and has some good input. I recently built a new case and well RGB has come a long way in 5 years. I'm using a corsair AIO now so my case will go down the corsair route but the rest of the lighting in the room that i use regularly at night I'd like some opinions on.

I'm looking at using the icue lighting strips on the back of the monitor. Although in the pics it looks like its well lit its actually quite dull at night due to the distance between the monitor and wall. I'm also thinking about using the icue LS100 strips around the underside of the desk so I can manage different patterns.

Currently the bookcase is done using modified ikea lights that are on a tradfri controller so that was the other option I was thinking of for lighting up the desk. The desk is sit stand so any cables that go to the any lights need to either be powered by a controller mounted on the desk or cables need to be able to be really long for an umbilical.

All in all I'd like to ask what people are currently using for RGB around the workstation and what they found works and doesn't. Also if anyone is using the corsair kits if you wouldn't mind weighing in so I can get an idea of what they are like real world as I need a few kits to get it the way I want.

For the case I'm thinking about using the QL120's and a commander pro system as iCue has been pretty good overall and modding car based cold cathodes just doesn't need to be done anymore it seems.

Thanks,

IMG_0708.JPG

IMG_0709.JPG

so first off you need a lot of corsair strips and they cost alot and they also have only 10 leds per strip and can only do 4 strips off of 1 header so if you need something longer then 4 strips yu have to run another cable from the controller to run another strip but you also said you wanted like zones so maby that fine.

so if you want to use icue you need in hooked to your pc so for that you have to find a way to get the usb and sata power out side or get the data out and get power from some ware els. i have not tryed this but and external usb adapter for the controller might or might not work.

as for what strips are best here a video about strips. keep in mind then you have to get an adapter to connect it to corsair.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

ahhh so corsair do an ambient lighting kit https://www.corsair.com/ww/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-|-Parts/iCUE-CONTROLLERS/iCUE-LS100-Smart-Lighting-Strip-Starter-Kit-(AU)/p/CD-9010001-AU

They also have extensions for said kit. You aren't wrong about the cost but you can just hook it up to a spare USB port like one in the monitor or something. Thanks for the vid I'm checking that out as an option as well.