Windows 10 SMB 1.0 CIFS file sharing support repeatedly disables :

Dzaxis

Hello.

Just recently over the last couple of weeks it seems windows randomly decides to turn off installed features for no apparant reason at all.
the main one being The SMB 1.0 CIFS file sharing support. (screenshot) which pretty much makes my computer unable to see networked drives until i go back into the control panel and turn it back on. restart my pc and everything works but randomly a couple ofdays later it decides to switch it off again and i have no idea why.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro, Version 2004, build number 19041.329. and prior to the last couple of weeks have never experienced this issue before.

any ideas?

thanks

Untitled.png

i think thats mostlikely a 2004 bug that should be fixed in new updates

It could be deliberate. MS deprecated SMBv1 years ago (2014), they've been recommending users stop using it for just as long and it was actually the protocol used by WannaCry to spread itself internally around networks.

For me the bigger issue is the fact your server is still reliant on SMBv1. These days its a very insecure protocol (its been around since the mid 1980s) and the server really needs to be updated to use at least SMBV2 (preferrably SMBv3). This not only will protect the client but it means you don't need to run the out of date and insecure protocol on the server either.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Are your shares on Windows XP machines? There shouldn't be a reason to run SMB V1 otherwise...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

Are your shares on Windows XP machines? There shouldn't be a reason to run SMB V1 otherwise...

Various I have an old nas that still runs security cameras in my garage. An admiteddly getting dated debian linux pc which acts as a tv pvr / print server as well as networking my scanner..

some of it just hasnt been updated yet or doesnt really get used frequently enough to justify the expense at the moment. think the kids use the scanner more for homework than i ever do. especially with schools closed scanning and emailing there work is a much easier than trying to take a photo of it.

i did have acouple of projects in mind in way of new builds / upgrades but they're kinda on hold for the time being till work picks back up from this corvid stuff