Laptop screen only turns on when running Linux

RollTime

Sorry if this is the wrong section, it seemed the most relevant. 

My laptop (Lenovo Yoga 730 13”) has a very strange issue. When turning the laptop on, the screen is black, the backlight stays off. It remains this way for ~15s, which is the amount of time GRUB takes to automatically select Ubuntu to boot into. Then the laptop starts as normal, with Linux working fine. By manually changing the boot order in the BIOS, I was able to get windows to boot. Windows (and the BIOS itself) will only output to an external display. I thought it might be a driver issue, so I checked device manager, but windows doesn’t even recognize the laptop screen as a connected device. 

This all started with a bios update which broke my boot order. After fixing that and getting windows working again, I did the thing I had been trying to do, which was swap the SSD. Somewhere in that process this error occurred. 

I have since swapped back to the original SSD, but the issue persists. 

I tried to restore a backup I made before the issue started, but the restore fails. Thanks Acronis.

I have reflashed and reset the bios as well as cleared the CMOS by unplugging the battery. 

Anything that could go wrong seems to have. Any ideas?

it's time