What should I do?

Budget (including currency): $1200ish USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mostly SketchUp + Vray, Revit and Photoshop (Archviz, video editing). As for games, to be honest I just want to be able to run any good AAA at 100+ fps on 1080p at least.

A little bit of background: I just graduated (Bachelor) architecture and I'm looking to build a good PC in which I could do freelance projects and do gaming on the side. I'm in no rush since I'm on vacation from now and would like to know if I should wait for next gen stuff (if it's out in 1-2 months) or just try to find good deals on components and start buying them part by part. I also want to be able to use this for at least 2-3 years without having to make a huge upgrade. I'm investing in an SFF case as my working space is not really big (and I'd also like the chance to move my pc if necessary) and I know SFF parts are a tad bit higher price now but I'm accepting that tradeoff.

Let me find a build list i put together that should be good for this, then I'll edit based on what you need to have prioritized

SFF parts aren’t just a tad more expensive they’re harder to get in the supply chain environment and can be a real PITA to cool if you pick a really small one.  if you already have a aer you need to name it so we can make stuff fit.

100+ fps basically means 120fps (or144) both of which are near enough to 2k.  CPU won’t matter much for AAA games.  GPU will though  Photoshop likes threads.  I don’t know about the rest of them.  Photoshop REAALLY likes memory of you make big photos.  It’s commonly used for video touch up though and iirc that likes memory too.  It also likes some of the Nvidia stuff specifically CUDA and 10 bit color.  So lots of cores and single thread unknown.  Tempted to go with the evga 2060ko here because while its special tricks won’t work on games it might work on some of the other stuff.  Machine wants Nvidia anyway though and 2060 is 2k.  If it does work it’s effectively a 2080 for some stuff which would be out of budget expensive.

PcPartPicker seems to work in Mexico and uses pesos but has the USD sign for em which is a bit frightening. What’s your budget in pesos?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, ACEHACK said:

She’s apparently got some SFF on and may have a case already :/

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Ok so the build I originally had didn't work, but I think I have a new build list that's Micro atx that should be good. Also added lots of initial storage because IDK how big projects in architecture can get.  https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Itsmaverick11/saved/#view=8Hhht6

Good power gpu and great cpu for whatever you need really, and unless ryzen 4000 desktop crazily outpreforms 3rd gen, then this is good for awhile. 3600mhz ram, up to 128gb if you ever need that option, and all within 1200$.

27 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

SFF parts aren’t just a tad more expensive they’re harder to get in the supply chain environment and can be a real PITA to cool if you pick a really small one.  if you already have a aer you need to name it so we can make stuff fit.

100+ fps basically means 120fps (or144) both of which are near enough to 2k.  CPU won’t matter much for AAA games.  GPU will though  Photoshop likes threads.  I don’t know about the rest of them.  Photoshop REAALLY likes memory of you make big photos.  It’s commonly used for video touch up though and iirc that likes memory too.  It also likes some of the Nvidia stuff specifically CUDA and 10 bit color.  So lots of cores and single thread unknown.  Tempted to go with the evga 2060ko here because while its special tricks won’t work on games it might work on some of the other stuff.  Machine wants Nvidia anyway though and 2060 is 2k.  If it does work it’s effectively a 2080 for some stuff which would be out of budget expensive.

PcPartPicker seems to work in Mexico and uses pesos but has the USD sign for em which is a bit frightening. What’s your budget in pesos?

The pesos things doesn't really matter, I'm still going to do all my shopping in USD from Newegg or whatever store has the better prices in the US/Canada

24 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

She’s apparently got some SFF on and may have a case already :/

Yeah, I'm gonna get a Formd T1, if not I'm going for a Ghost S1 or an Ncase M1 V6.

Also I'm a guy HAHA

1 minute ago, Biscuit Boy said:

Ok so the build I originally had didn't work, but I think I have a new build list that's Micro atx that should be good. Also added lots of initial storage because IDK how big projects in architecture can get.  https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Itsmaverick11/saved/#view=8Hhht6

Good power gpu and great cpu for whatever you need really, and unless ryzen 4000 desktop crazily outpreforms 3rd gen, then this is good for awhile. 3600mhz ram, up to 128gb if you ever need that option, and all within 1200$.

Looks like Ryzen 3600 is agreed upon as the best value here then, that's a start, I've seen the Ryzen 3600XT specs and I can't really justify waiting for it (or even getting it) for that small of a speed bump. Projects/files are not that big, but when you start building a portfolio they do get big. I will mainly use photoshop for post-render editing and adjustments, so not really BIG big files/pictures, but still would like a snappy experience.

1 minute ago, flowermoon said:

Looks like Ryzen 3600 is agreed upon as the best value here then, that's a start, I've seen the Ryzen 3600XT specs and I can't really justify waiting for it (or even getting it) for that small of a speed bump. Projects/files are not that big, but when you start building a portfolio they do get big. I will mainly use photoshop for post-render editing and adjustments, so not really BIG big files/pictures, but still would like a snappy experience.

I'll adjust the extra storage if you want to include a 1tb ssd so fast and big storage, or you could go with the 4 tb of storage for that bigger profile you talked about. Really up to you at this point for storage

3 minutes ago, flowermoon said:

The pesos things doesn't really matter, I'm still going to do all my shopping in USD from Newegg or whatever store has the better prices in the US/Canada

Yeah, I'm gonna get a Formd T1, if not I'm going for a Ghost S1 or an Ncase M1 V6.

Also I'm a guy HAHA

Gah.  So you are.  I’m really old I guess.  Ok.  USD us market is doable.  Used to be architecture stuff was really really picky about GPUs.  Had a nasty tendency to require quadro for no good reason. CAD doesn’t care about latency but likes big screens.  Is a monitor picked out?  A big monitor will make transport a pain though which makes the SFF thing a bit pointless. 

The only case even mentioned on pcpartpicker was the ncase m1. It’s got type C 3.1 gen2 in front.  B450 doesn’t do that at all.  X570 might. Good chance a motherboard that does it is going to be Uber pricey

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Gah.  So you are.  I’m really old I guess.  Ok.  USD us market is doable.  Used to be architecture stuff was really really picky about GPUs.  Had a nasty tendency to require quadro for no good reason. CAD doesn’t care about latency but likes big screens.  Is a monitor picked out?  A big monitor will make transport a pain though which makes the SFF thing a bit pointless. 

I've already got a Samsung CJ791 and peripherals, so no spending on that really. I don't see the point on getting a Quadro since I wont be really rendering super high quality archviz for a living, but I would like to be able to work and not get crashes/hiccups/slow performance overall.

I had made a parts list earlier, but I'm not really sure if those are the "best" parts for what I want to do, maybe you guys can help me confirm on some of them so I don't make an uninformed purchase:

4 minutes ago, flowermoon said:

I've already got a Samsung CJ791 and peripherals, so no spending on that really. I don't see the point on getting a Quadro since I wont be really rendering super high quality archviz for a living, but I would like to be able to work and not get crashes/hiccups/slow performance overall.

I had made a parts list earlier, but I'm not really sure if those are the "best" parts for what I want to do, maybe you guys can help me confirm on some of them so I don't make an uninformed purchase:

That motherboard doesn’t have 3.1 gen2 headers either.  Looking at z490 and 10600 atm I don’t know if that will work either.  Is an Uber case with that front i/o, but if he motherboard won’t do it the I/o won’t work.

Here’s what I got.  Motherboard has the headers for the I/o PSU tierlist doesn’t touch SFX PSUs so I kinda guessed

rl=https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cj7dQq]PCPartPicker Part List[/url]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($166.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard  ($229.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  ($149.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Team GX2 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate Desktop HDD 4 TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($80.81 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB KO ULTRA GAMING Video Card  ($323.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: NCASE M1 Mini ITX Tower Case 
Power Supply: Fractal Design Ion SFX-L 500 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply  ($169.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1211.74
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-19 01:04 EDT-0400

you want to add an aftermarket cpu cooler it might not be the worst idea.  Maybe $30

if you’ve got another Benjamin around a 3770x wouldn’t be the worst idea either.

im guessing going with the pretty tiny case cost you about $300