PC wont power on. Help

mandrigald

Sorry, I did not know where to post this topic. Soo I just got done upgrading a few parts in my PC (new mobo, new CPU, new PSU). I've just constructed it and it will not power on. I read in the instruction manual where the power switch plugin is on the motherboard, so I know its in the right spot. The power switch on my PSU is on too.  Motherboard/CPU power is fully in, PSU plugged in. Could somebody please help?

Is it on at the wall?

Case: Corsair 460X RGB bby, CPU: I5 8600K, Motherboard: MSI B360M PRO-VDH, RAM: 8GB Hyper X 2400MHz , Graphics Card: GTX1060 6GB, PSU: Corsair RM750x,

Cooler: BEQuiet!  Pure Rock Slim SSD: Kingston 240GB, HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda

Have you tried shorting the header pins that the power switch connect to? Might be a dead switch like my R4 had.

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

I had this problem when I plugged in the case fans into the motherboard, but when I plugged directly into the power supply the PC starts.

Sorry, I did not know where to post this topic. Soo I just got done upgrading a few parts in my PC (new mobo, new CPU, new PSU). I've just constructed it and it will not power on. I read in the instruction manual where the power switch plugin is on the motherboard, so I know its in the right spot. The power switch on my PSU is on too.  Motherboard/CPU power is fully in, PSU plugged in. Could somebody please help?

any lights on at all ?. no fans or anything might be a dead psu

any lights on at all ?. no fans or anything might be a dead psu

Nothing, when I press the power button nothing happens

most modern MBs will have some LEDs that will light up when the MB is getting power. do you have any lit LEDs on the MB at all?

This isn't exactly a new motherboard though (I did buy it brand new though). I just needed a decent microATX AM3+ option. The motherboard is the Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3

Have you tried shorting the header pins that the power switch connect to? Might be a dead switch like my R4 had.

How exactly would I go about doing that?

Nothing, when I press the power button nothing happens

did you plug the proper cables to the case on/off button ?

did you plug the proper cables to the case on/off button ?

I plugged the cable for the power switch into the correct spot on the motherboard if thats what your asking

I plugged the cable for the power switch into the correct spot on the motherboard if thats what your asking

are you sure?. it might be someting wrong with the connectors. try to short it. google ur psu mod number and then short it if it doesnt turn on then youknow what the problem is :P

are you sure?. it might be someting wrong with the connectors. try to short it. google ur psu mod number and then short it if it doesnt turn on then youknow what the problem is :P

Pretty sure, I looked in the manual where to plug it into. And how do I short my PSU? Sorry if thats a dumb question

Pretty sure, I looked in the manual where to plug it into. And how do I short my PSU? Sorry if thats a dumb question

usualy by taking two wires and shortcircuit it abit risky if u dont know what you are doing. if i were you i would go over every wire, and connection you made just in case its done the wrong way. i got into this problem once where the gpu cables were done the "wrong" way.

What are your other system specs?

MB model, CPU...etc

Mobo: Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3

CPU: AMD FX-8320

PSU: EVGA 600b 

GPU: Radeon 3870 X2 (will be upgraded to GTX 770 next month)

usualy by taking two wires and shortcircuit it abit risky if u dont know what you are doing. if i were you i would go over every wire, and connection you made just in case its done the wrong way. i got into this problem once where the gpu cables were done the "wrong" way.

I jumpstarted my PSU with a paperclip and the fan spun up, which leads me to believe that the PSU is not the issue. What do you think I should do now?

Did you try taking your MB out of your case and try testing it that way?

Also did you use the motherboard stand offs that came with your case(making sure only the ones that line up with the holes in your MB are screwed in on the case) ? Not using these can/will cause your MB to short out and not power up as well and using one that does not line up with the holes on your mb can short it out as well(aka a stand off touching the back of the MB where no hole is).

IMG_6805.jpg

Yes, I am using the motherboard standoffs

I jumpstarted my PSU with a paperclip and the fan spun up, which leads me to believe that the PSU is not the issue. What do you think I should do now?

check if its anyting else ? failsearching basicly

take the MB out of your case and build it up out side of it. leave the CPU/cpu cooler on the MB. take every thing else out (ram and video card). Use the top of your MB box (without that anti-static bag) as the place to build this up on.

you can start your PC out side of the case by touching the tip of a screwdriver between the 2 pins of the front panel connector labeled PW+ & PW- (http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-78lmt-usb3_v.4.1_e.pdf) see page 18.

if it powers up then power it down and add the ram. and keep adding stuff until it wont power up anymore.

if it still wont power up grab your old PSU and test with that one. if it still wont power up then your MB is most likely bad and I would exchange it for a new one or call Gigabyte to RMA it.

Yeah that works. Hell, it even worked when I used the cases power cable attached to it outside of the case. Then I tried rebuilding it in the case, and it wouldnt power up. I dont get it, the cases power button worked when I connected it to the mb when built OUTSIDE the case, whats the difference inside?

I would try using the screwdriver trick when the MB is in your case to see if it powers up that way. if it does then its something to do with the power switch. if it doesn't then your MB is getting shorted out on 

It isn't powering up from the screwdriver trick when in the case. So I'm assuming its shorting out on something (like you said), what do you propose I do about that?

Reading up above have you made absolutely sure that all the standoffs are in the right places with no extra ones?

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

What case do you have?

Currently I am temporarily using the Raidmax Super Hurricane (cheap little thing I will be using until next month when I will be buying a Define R4 along with a new GPU and possibly an SSD)

Bridge the 2 pins where you plug the case power on button with a screwdriver. If it powers on its your case.

It does not power on. It cant be my PSU either because I jumpstarted it and it worked fine. Plus when I built it outside of the case not only did the screwdriver trick work, but it also worked when I plugged the cable for the power button into it too (when built outside the case). It only seems to not work when it is built IN the case, this other guy thinks something is shorting my motherboard.

It does not power on. It cant be my PSU either because I jumpstarted it and it worked fine. Plus when I built it outside of the case not only did the screwdriver trick work, but it also worked when I plugged the cable for the power button into it too (when built outside the case). It only seems to not work when it is built IN the case, this other guy thinks something is shorting my motherboard.

It seems like hes right. I would take it out, make sure it works, and reassemble it in the case.