ps3 running linux for gaming?

I have an old ps3 thats jailbroken to 4.82 dex and i know its possible to have a ps3 running linux. ive never messed around with linux before and i dont even know how to install linux on a ps3 or if my ps3 being jailbroken would affect anything. It would be preferable if i could basically have my ps3 running something like pop os just so i could use it as a regular desktop pc and game on it using steam. ANY help is appreciated! 

4 minutes ago, Slad said:

I have an old ps3 thats jailbroken to 4.82 dex and i know its possible to have a ps3 running linux. ive never messed around with linux before and i dont even know how to install linux on a ps3 or if my ps3 being jailbroken would affect anything. It would be preferable if i could basically have my ps3 running something like pop os just so i could use it as a regular desktop pc and game on it using steam. ANY help is appreciated! 

I don't have a lot of knowledge on using a ps3 as a linux machine but I would assume you may have some serious driver issues trying to run steam games.

I had a PS3 phat that fully supported Linux.  I looked into making a Linux partition but the usability was minimal. 

What games do you want to play on that old of a system?  

2 minutes ago, PyroTheWise said:

I had a PS3 phat that fully supported Linux.  I looked into making a Linux partition but the usability was minimal. 

What games do you want to play on that old of a system?  

probably games like borderlands 2, gta v, csgo, rocket league. i dont expect much performance out of it, if any lol. 

Just now, Slad said:

probably games like borderlands 2, gta v, csgo, rocket league. i dont expect much performance out of it, if any lol. 

Problem is they're all built for x86 machines, not PowerPC.

1 minute ago, Slad said:

Even if somehow they were to work the ps3 wouldn't be able to run it as well it's really not that powerful. The only reason gta V even runs on it is because of very very extensive optimization for the ps3. Also you can already run 2 of those on the ps3.

Also it's powerpc basically nothing runs on that.

2 minutes ago, Slad said:

You won't.  Remember how small amount of memory and resources the PS3 had.   You won't have much memory left for games after you have loaded all the drivers to get that Cell Processor working.

3 minutes ago, PyroTheWise said:

You won't.  Remember how small amount of memory and resources the PS3 had.   You won't have much memory left for games after you have loaded all the drivers to get that Cell Processor working.

i didnt even think about that dammit