Higher benchmark than expected. Not sure to upgrade

Go to solution Solved by Haro,
11 minutes ago, Twi5tedw3lsh said:

was looking at a 1650s

How about the 1660 super ?

12 minutes ago, Twi5tedw3lsh said:

The pc has been tested over the last 2 days using stress tests, benchmark and gaming, temp doesn't exceed 76(one burst into 80 for about 5 seconds until the fans went into a faster cycle)

Dont mind stress tests

You will never encounter such workloads as a casual user

If you happy with the current performance keep it and wait for next gen 

My gtx 970 has benchmarked at 58.6 on userbenchmark I only use 1080 on a 144mhz monitor. As a future upgrade I was looking at a 1650s but its average bench is 58.3. Does that mean there is unlikely to be any improvement or are the percentages relative to each card?

The pc has been tested over the last 2 days using stress tests, benchmark and gaming, temp doesn't exceed 76(one burst into 80 for about 5 seconds until the fans went into a faster cycle)

Benchmarks below:

UserBenchmarks:

Game 58%, Desk 74%, Work 58%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G - 74.5%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 970 - 58.6%
SSD: Kingston SSDNow UV400 120GB - 78.1%
SSD: SK hynix SC401 SATA 512GB - 93.2%
HDD: Toshiba P300 1TB - 103.6%
RAM: Samsung M378A1G43DB0-CPB Micron 16ATF1G64AZ-2G1A1 16GB - 78%
MBD: Gigabyte GA-A320M-H-CF
(The mobo and cpu will be next upgrades,especiallyif gpu upgrade can be skipped)

20200614_155034.jpg

20200614_154942.jpg

Benchmarks are just a sign of raw performance.   I don't really trust User Benchmarks and their results.   I would use something like 3DMark from Steam (the demo version is free and provides solid tests).

However, what you really should be looking into is how it performs for how you are using the machine.    If the games you are playing are at the FPS/quality levels you want, then no need to upgrade.

If you want better gaming performance, then you should look at upgrading parts of your system.  The main gaming genre you play will determine if a GPU upgrade or CPU upgrade is needed.  

1650 super is not a big enough upgrade from a 970, you should consider the 1660 super or RX 5600 XT if you want to get some reasonable gains.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

11 minutes ago, Twi5tedw3lsh said:

was looking at a 1650s

12 minutes ago, Twi5tedw3lsh said:

Dont mind stress tests

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

5600xt was my longer term thought. Would the cpu bottleneck badly then tho? Maybe a ryzen 5 3600?

3 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Dont mind stress tests

Next gen would be great- I've been buying and selling to slowly upgrade at a lower cost. Was working well but this benchmark just took me by surprise- top 1% totally shocked. 

13 minutes ago, PyroTheWise said:

Benchmarks are just a sign of raw performance.   I don't really trust User Benchmarks and their results.   I would use something like 3DMark from Steam (the demo version is free and provides solid tests).

However, what you really should be looking into is how it performs for how you are using the machine.    If the games you are playing are at the FPS/quality levels you want, then no need to upgrade.

If you want better gaming performance, then you should look at upgrading parts of your system.  The main gaming genre you play will determine if a GPU upgrade or CPU upgrade is needed.  

Fps have increased by about 30% over my rx 470(I was half expecting them to drop because of the lower memory) they are way over what's needed for esports games even on high. and sits at 60+fps in high settings in AAA's all day. I suppose im looking to get the pc ready for next gen at the lowest possible cost.

22 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

1650 super is not a big enough upgrade from a 970, you should consider the 1660 super or RX 5600 XT if you want to get some reasonable gains.

5600xt or 5700 was my longer term thought. Would the cpu bottleneck badly then tho? Maybe a ryzen 5 3600?

20 minutes ago, Twi5tedw3lsh said:

5600xt was my longer term thought. Would the cpu bottleneck badly then tho? Maybe a ryzen 5 3600?

No it should be fine 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, Twi5tedw3lsh said:

5600xt or 5700 was my longer term thought. Would the cpu bottleneck badly then tho? Maybe a ryzen 5 3600?

for your motherboard, the best I'd recommend is a Ryzen 3 3300X or Ryzen 3 3100. You would likely face some power throttling on a 6 core CPU and for 144fps gameplay, these quad cores are pretty reasonable.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

for your motherboard, the best I'd recommend is a Ryzen 3 3300X or Ryzen 3 3100. You would likely face some power throttling on a 6 core CPU and for 144fps gameplay, these quad cores are pretty reasonable.

^ this or if you can't afford both a 

5600xt and a 3300x/ 3100 

Get a 3300x and a 1660 super and it should still be a worthy upgrade

Build Log: 

3 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

^ this or if you can't afford both a u

5600xt and a 3300x/ 3100 

Get a 3300x and a 1660 super and it should still be a worthy upgrade

They all look viable, thanks. Will use all options in my quest for cheap upgrades. The more options the more bargains I could get. Gonna have to work out my steps now

Just now, Twi5tedw3lsh said:

Gonna have to work out my steps now

Good luck ;)

Build Log: 

15 minutes ago, Twi5tedw3lsh said:

Fps have increased by about 30% over my rx 470(I was half expecting them to drop because of the lower memory) they are way over what's needed for esports games even on high. and sits at 60+fps in high settings in AAA's all day. I suppose im looking to get the pc ready for next gen at the lowest possible cost.

Greater VRAM does have an impact, but it seems to only matter when the lower card hits the max. If you have both a 4gb and 8gb card using 3gb of VRAM, then the difference is negligible.

If you're happy with your current FPS and are just waiting for next gen, I would suggest picking up a x570 or b550 mobo. The b550's will be released by the 16th. They will support the 4000 series Ryzen CPUs and if AMD continues to invest in Zen 3 then it would include those processors as well. These new mobos also will have PCIe gen 4 and much faster memory support. The only downside is that the b550 would not support the 3200g. The x570 would though. It is possible I'm looking at an old source. There has been a lot of talk about "X" chipset allowing "Y" processor, so it might be possible that they will support it.

Overall, a mobo upgrade would likely set you up well to pick up the future Ryzen 4000 series, the upcoming RDNA2 GPU from AMD or the 3080/3090 from Nvidia, and some high speed ram if seen necessary. (Many need new PSU upgrade. These cards seem hungry.) If I had to guess there would be some lower end cards released at a close time to these as well.

Edit: This only applies if you are happy with your current FPS. A mobo upgrade won't help you too much to increase that.

7 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

The mobo was an option to upgrade but I dont intend to get a new monitor so looks like I've found my path. Thank you

5 minutes ago, Fluvous said:

Greater VRAM does have an impact, but it seems to only matter when the lower card hits the max. If you have both a 4gb and 8gb card using 3gb of VRAM, then the difference is negligible.

If you're happy with your current FPS and are just waiting for next gen, I would suggest picking up a x570 or b550 mobo. The b550's will be released by the 16th. They will support the 4000 series Ryzen CPUs and if AMD continues to invest in Zen 3 then it would include those processors as well. These new mobos also will have PCIe gen 4 and much faster memory support. The only downside is that the b550 would not support the 3200g. The x570 would though. It is possible I'm looking at an old source. There has been a lot of talk about "X" chipset allowing "Y" processor, so it might be possible that they will support it.

Overall, a mobo upgrade would likely set you up well to pick up the future Ryzen 4000 series, the upcoming RDNA2 GPU from AMD or the 3080/3090 from Nvidia, and some high speed ram if seen necessary. (Many need new PSU upgrade. These cards seem hungry.) If I had to guess there would be some lower end cards released at a close time to these as well.

Edit: This only applies if you are happy with your current FPS. A mobo upgrade won't help you too much to increase that.

Happy with fps. Definitely dont have the money for that sort of jump, but between all the options I've been given I think I've found a good few routes to next gen. Ending with the higher end you've suggested.  Thanks