What to do with a defective GPU?

So we had to replace my buddy's RX 580 as his screen kept going black for a solid second or 2 during gaming every so often, replacement worked thankfully. However now we have a bad card on our hands. We tried every hotfix in the book to get it working to. No we cant return it or anything sadly... and its not that old of a card. Any thoughts on what to do with said card to maybe squeeze some kinda value or something outa it?

If it can display an image try ddu 

And if there is any oc on it get rid of it 

1 minute ago, AntiHero said:

maybe squeeze some kinda value or something outa it?

I mean if nothing worked and it is a dead card just put it on the shelf or something nor sell it for dirt cheap 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

If it can display an image try ddu 

And if there is any oc on it get rid of it 

I tried a list of drivers, overclocking, underclocking, slideclocking (thats a joke), everything i could think of and everything the net could offer... goose egg -_- . maybe i will just have to shelf it for a "just in case" situation.

I would use SRB Polaris to edit the bios (you can download the bios with the standard ati/amd flash tool) and reduce the power budget by some percentage. For example, change it from 225-250w power budget to something like 175w , basically bring it down to RX 570 levels.

This could solve the problem if the issue is caused by the gpu chip or vrm not handling too much power consumption.

Something else you could do would be to reduce the ram frequency by something like 50-100 Hz and raise the memory timings just in case there's some ram chip that's weaker (the bios has a list of timings for various frequencies, you can get the timings for 1750 Mhz - 2000 Mhz which are more relaxed and overwrite the timings that are tighter.

You could also reduce the default gpu clock frequency by a few hz ... basically downclock it.

Save the original bios before any edits and you can always revert.

* after editing the bios and uploading it in video card, you have to use atikmdag-patcher-1.4.8.zip to patch the drivers and make them ignore the fact that bios is modified (checksum is incorrect if you edit it and driver will refuse to let the card work)

Here's the page : AMD/ATI Pixel Clock Patcher

SRB Polaris bios editor : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1882656.0

I've used this software with my RX 570 cards during the mining craze , edited the bios to set the default ram frequency lower with tighter timings (because mining likes low latency but cares less about frequency, while games benefit from frequency and care less about timings) and also raised the minimum fan temperatures to keep cards cooler by default.

There's also PBE which is open source, but i never used it so can't vouch for it : GitHub - caa82437/PolarisBiosEditor

The AMD/ATI download/upload tool is on techpowerup : https://www.techpowerup.com/download/bios-flashing/

44 minutes ago, AntiHero said:

So we had to replace my buddy's RX 580 as his screen kept going black for a solid second or 2 during gaming every so often, replacement worked thankfully. However now we have a bad card on our hands. We tried every hotfix in the book to get it working to. No we cant return it or anything sadly... and its not that old of a card. Any thoughts on what to do with said card to maybe squeeze some kinda value or something outa it?

Many people just resell those for 10-25% of the original price and let other play with mentioned bios swapping, baking them and so on. I had few GPU's, didn't sell, so just scrapped them for copper, boards and gold pins :V