accessing freenas on different subnet

BirdyTheMighty

Can anyone help me with this i got a problem accessing my freenas on a different subnet.

-Freenas is on a second modem with a different address (192.168.2.1)

-My PC is connected to the first modem with a different address(192.168.1.1). It is also connected to the second modem. So the wifi card is connected to the first modem and  the Ethernet is connected to the second modem where the nas is connected to.
-I can access the freenas when i disconnect the wifi  but not when its connected. However the weird thing is if i access the freenas with the wifi disconnected then reconnected it will still work until i restart.

soo help anyone?

lives on

BAKABT

Your best option here would probably be to get all of your devices onto one network. Are you using a 2nd router as a makeshift switch?

6 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Your best option here would probably be to get all of your devices onto one network. Are you using a 2nd router as a makeshift switch?

dunno what you mean(not a guru in network). For me to get all in one network i would need a really long Ethernet cable from my pc to modem.

The reason why its on the a separate network is my main pc wifi is capped at 144Mb/s(on 2.4)for some reason. I suspect its faulty as it does not even detect 5Ghz, or it could be something wrong with windows. There is no option in advance properties in adapter settings for 802.11 ac even though its 802.11ac(ASUS PCE-AC56 802.11ac) and so is my modem 802.11ac, which some how equates to only 10MB/s transfer rate. Ethernet gives me 100MB/s transfer speed. Ipconfig also displays it has a radio frequency for 5Ghz so yeah dunno whats going on.

lives on

BAKABT

Can you set the 2nd router to AP mode? It should disable the DHCP server and make FreeNAS visible on the primary network.

On 6/14/2020 at 1:26 AM, Windows7ge said:

Can you set the 2nd router to AP mode? It should disable the DHCP server and make FreeNAS visible on the primary network.

no that didnt work, but i fixed the problem myself. I just switch around the interface metric in the adapter setting so my wifi card is now on 2 and my ethernet on 1. If youre wondering why i manually set it is because if i leave i on automatic it hangs for a long time before responding

EDIT: doesnt work the other way around -_-

lives on

BAKABT

30 minutes ago, BirdyTheMighty said:

no that didnt work, but i fixed the problem myself. I just switch around the interface metric in the adapter setting so my wifi card is now on 2 and my ethernet on 1. If youre wondering why i manually set it is because if i leave i on automatic it hangs for a long time before responding

EDIT: doesnt work the other way around -_-

Do you communicate with the FreeNAS server via hostname or IP?

45 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Do you communicate with the FreeNAS server via hostname or IP?

I would assume its hostname or ip. Everything was done and setup to whatever freenas set it to

ehhh.. i'll just connect it to the main modem and deal with the slow wifi transfer speed

lives on

BAKABT

12 minutes ago, BirdyTheMighty said:

I would assume its hostname or ip. Everything was done and setup to whatever freenas set it to

ehhh.. i'll just connect it to the main modem and deal with the slow wifi transfer speed

If you connect via hostname that could be an issue related to Windows. If you connect using IP it may be more reliable. Do you access the server through File Explorer?

3 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

If you connect via hostname that could be an issue related to Windows. If you connect using IP it may be more reliable. Do you access the server through File Explorer?

yeah pretty much though the network tab on windows

lives on

BAKABT

6 minutes ago, BirdyTheMighty said:

yeah pretty much though the network tab on windows

Do you know the IP of the FreeNAS server?

Have you tried mapping it as a network drive?

3 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Do you know the IP of the FreeNAS server?

Have you tried mapping it as a network drive?

yeah i can do that. the problem is i can't access it while the wifi card is connected, but once i disconnect it and just leave the Ethernet on its fine.

lives on

BAKABT

soo right now i an access the nas with the wifi card off. It could just be a windows thing

Untitled.thumb.jpg.13ec12cb748d9194be4ecff4b026c02e.jpg

lives on

BAKABT

4 minutes ago, BirdyTheMighty said:

yeah i can do that. the problem is i can't access it while the wifi card is connected, but once i disconnect it and just leave the Ethernet on its fine.

I'm still not sure how you have that setup. Does one connect to the 192.168.1.0 network and the other to the 192.168.2.0 network? Or do they both connect to the same network?

Sometimes defining the server by IP address can yield a more reliable connection than relying on hostname. If you typing into the navigation bar "//192.168.2.X" where X is the fourth octet of your server IP test if it will let you connect both with the two networks connected and/or only a singular.

6 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I'm still not sure how you have that setup. Does one connect to the 192.168.1.0 network and the other to the 192.168.2.0 network? Or do they both connect to the same network?

Sometimes defining the server by IP address can yield a more reliable connection than relying on hostname. If you typing into the navigation bar "//192.168.2.X" where X is the fourth octet of your server IP test if it will let you connect both with the two networks connected and/or only a singular.

i can easy access the nas web interface address with no problem at 192.168.2.20 while the wifi card is on which is at the address 192.168.1.1. But i cant access the nas drive while both is on.

ss.png.6ee07b67757f70112c520e593d8f8bb0.png

lives on

BAKABT

3 minutes ago, BirdyTheMighty said:

i can easy access the nas web interface address with no problem at 192.168.2.20 while the wifi card is on which is at the address 192.168.1.1. But i cant access the nas drive while both is on.

This 2nd router that the FreeNAS server connects to. Are you using it as an AP, or are you using it as a switch?

16 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

This 2nd router that the FreeNAS server connects to. Are you using it as an AP, or are you using it as a switch?

i got no idea man, just pluged in the modem and hope for the best, as  i said i know jack about network lol.

lives on

BAKABT

23 minutes ago, BirdyTheMighty said:

i got no idea man, just pluged in the modem and hope for the best, as  i said i know jack about network lol.

You used the word Subnet correctly so I'm under the impression you know something. :D

This second Router that I assume the FreeNAS server connects to. Replace this with a network switch. This should put everything on the same Subnet and eliminate all the issues you're having.

15 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

You used the word Subnet correctly so I'm under the impression you know something. :D

This second Router that I assume the FreeNAS server connects to. Replace this with a network switch. This should put everything on the same Subnet and eliminate all the issues you're having.

Yes, if you are also using that router as an acces point (for wifi) you can try to put it on AP mode but since you said that you tried and it didn't work you can also just turn off dhcp, give it a static lan ip on the same ip range as the first router and move the ethernet port that connects to the first router from the wan port to a lan port. 

If you tell us your router models we might be able to help more.

4 minutes ago, mtz_federico said:

Yes, if you are also using that router as an acces point (for wifi) you can try to put it on AP mode but since you said that you tried and it didn't work you can also just turn off dhcp, give it a static lan ip on the same ip range as the first router and move the ethernet port that connects to the first router from the wan port to a lan port. 

If you tell us your router models we might be able to help more.

I was thinking of recommending this (configure the router as a switch) but my own success with doing so is also limited.

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I was thinking of recommending this (configure the router as a switch) but my own success with doing so is also limited.

I have done it before and depending on the router settings it is not very hard

27 minutes ago, mtz_federico said:

I have done it before and depending on the router settings it is not very hard

I was working with a janky old router with outdated firmware. That was probably the issue from the get-go.

You could try to change one of the routers subnets to match the other one's

well im back at work soo im gonna leave it for now. As of now i just reconnected the nas to my main modem and i will use a long as ethernet cable if i want to transfer data instead of using the wifi(avg transfer rate on that thing is 30MB/s)

lives on

BAKABT