not enough watts

Bobskos

my pc is a old dell pre built and i just got my first graphics card (a gtx 460 from my uncle) and it needs 2 6 pin pcie power cables, but my pc doesnt even have 1. so i looked around and saw that you could do sata power to 6 pin power, but my psu is only 300 watts and the card that i have needs at least 160 watt so i dont want to risk it. i am young so i cant really buy expensive new parts. 

do you think you could recommend a cheap 400w - 450w power supply for me 

thanks

Edited by Bobskos
it sounded demanding

what is the model of the dell? some can fit standard power supplies, some cannot.

What country are you buying in?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, Bobskos said:

my pc is a old dell pre built and i just got my first graphics card (a gtx 460 from my uncle) and it needs 2 6 pin pcie power cables, but my pc doesnt even have 1. so i looked

You'd probably be better off just trying to sell or trade the 460 for a really cheap 750ti or something. Might have some fake cards on ebay/aliexpress for hte 750ti.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

I would advise again'st asking people to do stuff for you. If you asked for suggestions you may get a better result then requesting people do work on your behalf. BUT here is ONE . NOW know this. I am NOT recommending this PSU or saying anything about its quality or performance but in this market is is hard to find hardware. 

Spoiler

i7-6700k OC'd 4.5Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1070 SC

4 minutes ago, Axeonelite said:

I would advise again'st asking people to do stuff for you. If you asked for suggestions you may get a better result then requesting people do work on your behalf. BUT here is ONE . NOW know this. I am NOT recommending this PSU or saying anything about its quality or performance but in this market is is hard to find hardware. 

I mean, it’s asking the same thing just worded different. And you don’t have to be a dick, just don’t post anything.

DA17EBE8-7B91-4349-AB85-88715274D8C8.jpeg

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

6 minutes ago, Bobskos said:

do you think you could find a cheap 400w - 450w power supply for me 

To add on to what Axeonelite said. If you don't have a lot of money, and are relying on your parents, I'd suggest one of two things. Look at getting some side-job to make a few bucks, or explain the situation to your parents if they are paying for it (and no, this doesn't mean trying to talk them into one of the most expensive ones).

You need to make sure you get a power supply from a reputable place. ( IE: Corsair, EVGA, Antec, NZXT, etc). And not some weird fishy off-brand power supply just because it's the cheapest. It doesn't mean that you need to buy a Platinum 80+, but this is something you'd be better researching. Because you need to find a reputable website to buy from (newegg, amazon, etc. unless you want to go the route of "used" and get one from ebay") and read reviews, etc.

Buying a cheap power-supply can cause a lot of issues, and you can potentially put your entire PC at risk if something goes wrong. As I said, no it doesn't mean "Hey dad, I need a Platinum 80+ multi-rail PSU". It just means be cautious. Because buying one of those PSUs from somewhere like Wish, aliexpress, could mean that you get something fake / NOT dependable.

10 minutes ago, Axeonelite said:

This is a request for a recommendation though.

10 minutes ago, Bobskos said:

it is an inspirion 660 in u.s.

please quote us so that we can see your responses.

looks like the inspiron 660 can use standard ATX power supplies.

this should work quite nicely:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3hkwrH/corsair-power-supply-cp9020102na

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

14 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

I mean, it’s asking the same thing just worded different. And you don’t have to be a dick, just don’t post anything.

DA17EBE8-7B91-4349-AB85-88715274D8C8.jpeg

I think my comment was the nice way of wording it. Please don't confuse me, I am aware this is a lot of gatekeeping in this community and I do not wish to be a part of it. I apologize profusely if my comment was taken that way. But he did specifically ask " DO you think you could find X part for me" That was not asking for a recommendation that was asking us to do the work for him which would not educate but indulge. Again sorry if I was mistaken in this manor and I will avoid posting in this topic again if I am causing trouble. 

Spoiler

i7-6700k OC'd 4.5Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1070 SC

21 minutes ago, oorty said:

To add on to what Axeonelite said. If you don't have a lot of money, and are relying on your parents, I'd suggest one of two things. Look at getting some side-job to make a few bucks, or explain the situation to your parents if they are paying for it (and no, this doesn't mean trying to talk them into one of the most expensive ones).

You need to make sure you get a power supply from a reputable place. ( IE: Corsair, EVGA, Antec, NZXT, etc). And not some weird fishy off-brand power supply just because it's the cheapest. It doesn't mean that you need to buy a Platinum 80+, but this is something you'd be better researching. Because you need to find a reputable website to buy from (newegg, amazon, etc. unless you want to go the route of "used" and get one from ebay") and read reviews, etc.

Buying a cheap power-supply can cause a lot of issues, and you can potentially put your entire PC at risk if something goes wrong. As I said, no it doesn't mean "Hey dad, I need a Platinum 80+ multi-rail PSU". It just means be cautious. Because buying one of those PSUs from somewhere like Wish, aliexpress, could mean that you get something fake / NOT dependable.

i was looking at some EVGA ones because it wouldnt take too long to earn enough money to get it and is more than enough power/wattage for the card. : )

4 minutes ago, Bobskos said:

i was looking at some EVGA ones because it wouldnt take too long to earn enough money to get it and is more than enough power/wattage for the card. : )

Ah, well in that case. You could look for something similar to this EVGA: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=100-BR-0450-K1

450 Bronze 80+ would do pretty much what you need. Decent quality, for $49 USD / £39

You'll just have to find something similar elsewhere since the one on EVGA's site appears out of stock.