Suggestions?

TristenM

How do we feel about the

Thermaltake Smart Pro 850-Watt Modular Power Supply

its currently on for 199.99$ in my local area and one of the few available in store for pick up. 

I'll save you the trouble of getting roasted and potential hurt by a lot of other people in this forum.  Despite Brand affiliation if depends a lot on what kind system you're running. As long as yoy're not goi g to stress it and hurt your components because of trying to draw too much power in a inefficient way (which would be hard in a general use/gaming rig.) you should be okay. Generally the saying still stands even in PC Parts you get what you pay for, and for that price I think you would get a solid experience. 

Spoiler

i7-6700k OC'd 4.5Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1070 SC

Just now, Axeonelite said:

-snip-

I’ve bought some used parts for relatively inexpensive,

its an 

i5 3570k

16gb ddr3 ram (4x4gb)

And either my 660ti or r9 270

ASrock extreme4 mobo

hoping to learn over clocking with the cpu/mobo and am trying to get a grasp on what wattage I’ll need as over head especially if I’m OCing, but as

@spartaman64 said this specific PSU seems over priced. 

Wattage VS Voltage. OC is a long journey to learn. But for your build that is more then enough wattage. It IS without a doubt overprices for the wattage but I didn't want to question if you had again a brand affiliation or a specific reason for picking that unit. But any 850 watt should have plenty of overhead for you. 

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, TristenM said:

I’ve bought some used parts for relatively inexpensive,

its an 

i5 3570k

16gb ddr3 ram (4x4gb)

And either my 660ti or r9 270

ASrock extreme4 mobo

hoping to learn over clocking with the cpu/mobo and am trying to get a grasp on what wattage I’ll need as over head especially if I’m OCing, but as

@spartaman64 said this specific PSU seems over priced. 

That psu is indeed massively overpriced. A good 500w unit is plenty for your needs.

1 minute ago, Axeonelite said:

Wattage VS Voltage. OC is a long journey to learn. But for your build that is more then enough wattage. It IS without a doubt overprices for the wattage but I didn't want to question if you had again a brand affiliation or a specific reason for picking that unit. But any 850 watt should have plenty of overhead for you. 

Going to slowly plunge into it..

the CPU is not obsolete, thankfully

but has good forums online for what people have safely done / ran for long periods of time. 

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

That psu is indeed massively overpriced. A good 500w unit is plenty for your needs.

Even with wanting to overclock the cpu?

Just now, TristenM said:

Yeah you don't really have a high wattage system. However the cpu is kinda obsolete in todays world for gaming as well quadcores don't cut it anymore.

1 minute ago, TristenM said:

Rule of thumb to go with anything in life: "Buy the BEST you can afford". If you buy a higher wattage you can always move it into another system. Just never go under especially when trying to push hardware. 

Spoiler

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Yeah you don't really have a high wattage system. However the cpu is kinda obsolete in todays world for gaming as well quadcores don't cut it anymore.

I got the whole setup mentioned above minus the GPU for 150$ CAD. 

Its going to be plenty for the games I play, plus a good learning opportunity rather than buying a newer K model intel chip and blowing it up not knowing what I’m doing OCing,

i do truly appreciate everyone’s feedback and help here 

Rule of thumb to go with anything in life: "Buy the BEST you can afford". If you buy a higher wattage you can always move it into another system. Just never go under especially when trying to push hardware. 

Totally fair, the reason I was looking at the 850w was to upgrade down the line anyway. 

Another friend of mine is selling me her PC and it’ll need a beefier PSU for what I’m putting into it,

but thank you for your help mate 

4 minutes ago, jaslion said:

I wouldn't agree with such a cold hard statement. The world of technology is so variable especially for each use case. He may only have that system and need / want to get the best out of it. Especially that processor has been tested by time and was has a big community (even if old) surrounding it that he can get the support he needs. I encourage using hardware to the fullest. 

Just now, TristenM said:

Totally fair, the reason I was looking at the 850w was to upgrade down the line anyway. 

Another friend of mine is selling me her PC and it’ll need a beefier PSU for what I’m putting into it,

but thank you for your help mate 

No problem mate. Never stop learning. Continue to push your knowledge and your hardware and just have fun with it along the way. We'll be here if you need help :)

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Axeonelite said:

I wouldn't agree with such a cold hard statement. The world of technology is so variable especially for each use case. He may only have that system and need / want to get the best out of it. Especially that processor has been tested by time and was has a big community (even if old) surrounding it that he can get the support he needs. I encourage using hardware to the fullest. 

No problem mate. Never stop learning. Continue to push your knowledge and your hardware and just have fun with it along the way. We'll be here if you need help :)

That’s what I love about our community,

I’ve found a Corsair 550w CX-M

80+ bronze semi modular for 109.99$

this should give me enough overhead for case / case fans, cpu cooler(hyper 212 evo), HDD and GPU; right?

Plus of course the over clocking 

6 minutes ago, TristenM said:

I got the whole setup mentioned above minus the GPU for 150$ CAD. 

Its going to be plenty for the games I play, plus a good learning opportunity rather than buying a newer K model intel chip and blowing it up not knowing what I’m doing OCing,

i do truly appreciate everyone’s feedback and help here 

Oh yeah more of a warning if you do put a better gpu in there to not expect too much from it in new games.

Just now, TristenM said:

That’s what I love about our community,

I’ve found a Corsair 550w CX-M

80+ bronze semi modular for 109.99$

this should give me enough overhead for case / case fans, cpu cooler(hyper 212 evo), HDD and GPU; right?

Plus of course the over clocking 

That's still 30% above the price it should be but about as good as it will get now with the lack of psu's. It's more than fine for your needs.

Should be fine. May I ask where you're located? You're saying the USD symbol but I feel like better value is still out there in the United States market. **EDIT** from the last post I seem to have had a mental lapse about the PSU shortage. I agree with the market conditions that may be the best you can find besides used local hardware, maybe facebook marketplace or craigslist. 

Spoiler

Should be fine. May I ask where you're located? You're saying the USD symbol but I feel like better value is still out there in the United States market. 

West coast of Canada,

Was looking at bestbuy for the 850w

and Newegg.ca is showing the 550w at 109$

6 minutes ago, Axeonelite said:

For today's gaming climate it has been proven that a quad core doesn't cut it as games just simply need more than 4 cores even the 6 core i5's (the ones without hyperthreading so the 8000 and 9000 series) already have issues in a couple games due to running out of cores and being pegged at 100%. That i5 is plenty for other stuff. I use less to do digital design at another place and it works just fine.

Just now, TristenM said:

West coast of Canada,

For canada that's better still above what's normal but probably best you'll be able to get.

Just now, TristenM said:

West coast of Canada,

That would explain it. Again get the best you can afford. If you want new hardware only and the 850 is in your price range go for it. It'll give you room to grow with your hardware. 

Spoiler

Just now, jaslion said:

For today's gaming climate it has been proven that a quad core doesn't cut it as games just simply need more than 4 cores even the 6 core i5's (the ones without hyperthreading so the 8000 and 9000 series) already have issues in a couple games due to running out of cores and being pegged at 100%. That i5 is plenty for other stuff. I use less to do digital design at another place and it works just fine.

I mean, on my clapped out duo core i3 I was still playing LoL at stable 80 frames with a GeForce GTX 240.

this i5 system is my back up that I got to learn how to OC and tinker with.

I’ve got an i7 3770 3.4ghz

but am in the process of migrating it out of its current case and upgrading the mobo & GPU 

Just now, TristenM said:

I mean, on my clapped out duo core i3 I was still playing LoL at stable 80 frames with a GeForce GTX 240.

this i5 system is my back up that I got to learn how to OC and tinker with.

I’ve got an i7 3770 3.4ghz

but am in the process of migrating it out of its current case and upgrading the mobo & GPU 

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

This is simply a false statement. I would suggest you not fill his head with such BS. I have seen first hand from experience and various youtube videos if you are gaming even older i3's and i5's can still tread water. Maybe not the best experience but they are certainly not outdated and obsolete by any means. Please don't encourage the toxic upgrade cycle  so prevalent in the hardware space. His processor will handle it fine.  at this point you're more in the GPU bottleneck space but even then don't worry about that. If you're playing league and likewise games hell even valorant has been shown to run on the FIRST i3 fine. 

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

For canada that's better still above what's normal but probably best you'll be able to get.

Damn covid, I mean obviously horrible situation no doubt about it, but very hard to find PSU at good stock / price 

This is simply a false statement. I would suggest you not fill his head with such BS. I have seen first hand from experience and various youtube videos if you are gaming even older i3's and i5's can still tread water. Maybe not the best experience but they are certainly not outdated and obsolete by any means. Please don't encourage the toxic upgrade cycle  so prevalent in the hardware space. His processor will handle it fine. 

No need to get heated with each other,

i appreciate all perspectives and the help I’m receiving, fortunately I’m not completely dense when it comes to other aspects of components.

power, wattage & voltage just is foreign to me and honestly the biggest part of what I don’t fully understand yet with PCs, but I’ll get there.