How to build an orientation device

ConstantColby

Hi All, 

This is my first dabble into trying to build my own little gadget.

I want to build like a 12 sided dice, and use a microchip that can tell me what is the exact orientation of the dice. So essentially telling me what number did the dice roll on.

Since I am new to this whole new world, I am not even certain what terminology to use.

Would such a microchip be a 3-axis accelerometer or a gyroscope?

And if I want to use it with Arduino or Raspberry Pi (not sure which is more suitable), will there be compatibility issues that I need to look out for?

Appreciate all the help and guidance.

Thank you!

You'll want a 3-axis accelerometer for this application, and assuming you're building this all into the die you'll probably want to use an Arduino since they're available in smaller sizes. This die probably won't be a fair die unless you spend a long time balancing it but I assume this is more for fun than practicality.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

1 minute ago, BobVonBob said:

You'll want a 3-axis accelerometer for this application, and assuming you're building this all into the die you'll probably want to use an Arduino since they're available in smaller sizes. This die probably won't be a fair die unless you spend a long time balancing it but I assume this is more for fun than practicality.

Thanks for the advice. I was just looking into it and it seems that an accelerometer is the way to go.

Are there any compatibility issues for Arduino that I need to take note of when searching for an accelerometer? Are there any like resolution / accuracy ratings?

2 hours ago, ConstantColby said:

Thanks for the advice. I was just looking into it and it seems that an accelerometer is the way to go.

Are there any compatibility issues for Arduino that I need to take note of when searching for an accelerometer? Are there any like resolution / accuracy ratings?

Accuracy shouldn't be too big an issue, you only need to differentiate 12 faces that differ by quite a bit. Make sure the accelerometer is rigidly affixed and you shouldn't have problems.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

On 6/8/2020 at 9:28 PM, ConstantColby said:

So essentially telling me what number did the dice roll on.

No to dissuade you from your idea, but if you don't need to have this built in, you could accomplish this with a camera and some machine vision. My guess is with some Python, OpenCV (or other library), and a RPi w/ camera module, you could use a normal die and build a small rig to view the rolling area.

Just a thought. 

Additionally, depending on the size of the die, you could use micro NFC tags (like this) to mark the value of each side (remembering to tag the value on the opposite if you're reading what faces up) and then build a mat for rolling the die on.