USB 3.1 Header help

Hey there,

new to the forum, I recently built my first pc and I used this Aorus b450 board with a Ryzen 5 3600x. I built it in the NZXT h510i case and the front IO on that case has one usb 3.0 and then one usb c port, however, my mobo does not have a usb 3.1 header to connect the usb c port. I’m curious as how I could get the usb c port hooked up. Doing some research, it looks like I could use this to my one usb 3 header on my mobo and then connecting something like this to be able to use my front panel usb c and then connecting the front panel usb 3 to the other end of the splitter. Would this work, or is what I’m talking about not possible? Thank you for any help! 

2 minutes ago, BryanNichols10 said:

new to the forum, I recently built my first pc and I used this Aorus b450 board with a Ryzen 5 3600x. I built it in the NZXT h510i case and the front IO on that case has one usb 3.0 and then one usb c port, however, my mobo does not have a usb 3.1 header to connect the usb c port. I’m curious as how I could get the usb c port hooked up. Doing some research, it looks like I could use this to my one usb 3 header on my mobo and then connecting something like this to be able to use my front panel usb c and then connecting the front panel usb 3 to the other end of the splitter. Would this work, or is what I’m talking about not possible? Thank you for any help! 

The second adapter you linked (the USB 3.0 to Type C) header is definitely what you need.

The first adapter linked is also what is needed, I just don't have experience with those specifically. So can't confirm if those work just fine.

Assuming the first adapter (splitter) works as intended, this setup will indeed work !

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

oh god usb is such a mess hahaha. I'm probably going to have to end up doing something similar. As long as those components work as advertised, you should be good.

CPU: AMD 3600X

GPU: Nvidia 3070 (planned)

motherboard: MSI B500-A PRO

memory: G Skill Ripjaws V 2x8 GB 3600Mhz CL16

PSU: EVGA B3 650@

Case: NZXT H510

wireless network adapter: intel ax200

3 minutes ago, minibois said:

The second adapter you linked (the USB 3.0 to Type C) header is definitely what you need.

The first adapter linked is also what is needed, I just don't have experience with those specifically. So can't confirm if those work just fine.

Assuming the first adapter (splitter) works as intended, this setup will indeed work !

Okay thank you! Glad to hear I’m on the right path. 

1 minute ago, rapidkillerx said:

oh god usb is such a mess hahaha. I'm probably going to have to end up doing something similar. As long as those components work as advertised, you should be good.

I know right? I didn’t look into this before I got my mobo, but hopefully this work around will in fact work. 

1 minute ago, rapidkillerx said:

Allegedly the 'U' in 'USB' stands for 'Universal'. Somehow I doubt this!

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

45 minutes ago, minibois said:

Allegedly the 'U' in 'USB' stands for 'Universal'. Somehow I doubt this!

Yea universal my ass

How many type A's do they have at this point 😂

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

51 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Yea universal my ass

How many type A's do they have at this point 😂

let's count with USB guys!

1.0.. 1.1.. 2.0! 3.0! no wait, 3.1 Gen 1.. 3.1 Gen 2.. No wait, 3.2 Gen 1.. 3.2 Gen 2.. 3.2 Gen 2x2.. USB 4.0??

Pro tip: if you need to learn to count, don't take USB, Windows or Apple as an example.

2 minutes ago, minibois said:

if you need to learn to count, don't take USB, Windows or Apple as an example.

By their books that's the way to do it 😂

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: