Potential cable melting?

Hi! I was wondering if it’s a good idea to stash the rear exaust fan cable in the motherboard “IO shroud” (don’t really know how to say it - picture below)? Is it possible that the cable might get melted because it is right next to the heatspreader? Sorry for asking dumb questions but this is my first build and I really don’t want to screw it up. Thanks a lot!

image.jpg

image.jpg

maybe the Verge was right in saying cables need to "breathe" jkjk

No, it's going to be fine. But I would take the motherboard out and put in the CPU, Cooler and RAM first. It's going to be more annoying inside of the chassis. 

The insulation of the wires should be rated for at least 85 degrees Celsius ... there's electrical safety standards and all that crap which require high melting temperatures, low smoke, some wires have to be self extinguishing and so on

Heatsink shouldn't be hot enough to begin melting the wires but even if they do melt ... the heatsinks is grounded or floating (not grounded or not connected to anything)

If the wire melts worst case scenario you get 12v shorted to ground... the power supply will either detect the short and shut down (unlikely) or keep pumping energy, until either the wire gets to hot and melts like a fuse and breaks the short circuit, or the fan connector on the motherboard melts/breaks.... or i guess the wire gets so hot that it desolders itself from the fan (unlikely)

The wire a fan has it thin, so most likely it's gonna break first, before fan headers on motherboards will die.

2 hours ago, Konrad_K said:

No, it's going to be fine. But I would take the motherboard out and put in the CPU, Cooler and RAM first. It's going to be more annoying inside of the chassis. 

It’s a pretty small case and realy easy to work in from what I can tell (Cooler Master Q300L). Why I haven’t put in the CPU yet is because it is currently beeing shipped to me, and I really couldn’t wait for it any longer :) so I decided to pre-route everything and put the GPU and CPU afterwards. 

1 hour ago, mariushm said:

The insulation of the wires should be rated for at least 85 degrees Celsius ... there's electrical safety standards and all that crap which require high melting temperatures, low smoke, some wires have to be self extinguishing and so on

Heatsink shouldn't be hot enough to begin melting the wires but even if they do melt ... the heatsinks is grounded or floating (not grounded or not connected to anything)

If the wire melts worst case scenario you get 12v shorted to ground... the power supply will either detect the short and shut down (unlikely) or keep pumping energy, until either the wire gets to hot and melts like a fuse and breaks the short circuit, or the fan connector on the motherboard melts/breaks.... or i guess the wire gets so hot that it desolders itself from the fan (unlikely)

The wire a fan has it thin, so most likely it's gonna break first, before fan headers on motherboards will die.

I actually found a much better way to hide it - in between the rear fan and the shroud that’s covering my IO there’s a little gap perfect enough for the remaining cable to be neatly tucked away. Thanks so much to all @Konrad_K @mariushm @Lurick @Elements6007