2x4gb combo not working on Dell Optiplex 380 after bios update

so i bought a sff dell optiplex 380 and wanted to throw a 2x4gb 1600mhz kingston kit into it, and after doing a bios update its still not working.

does anyone have the solution to this??

PC specs:

Core 2 Duo E7500

2x2gb ddr3 1066mhz

GT 730 (i added it)

480gb ssd

I had an Optiplex 380 years back and ran into the same problem.

Back in the DDR3 days, there were low density and high density RAM modules. Intel platforms on LGA775 only supported low density ones, and what you got is probably high density as they are by far the most common and I believe any Intel and AMD platform afterward supported them. It's quite difficult to track down low density stuff, but it's still floating around. Does eBay have a presence in Argentina? I found going into anything less than a stellar computer parts store, the sales people have no idea how to even search for density differences, so you'd have to look up a product number to find out.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

could just be that the mother board doesn't support that setup. most older prebuilds such as optiplexe's or inspiron's mobos don't support a lot of configs

10 hours ago, atxcyclist said:

I had an Optiplex 380 years back and ran into the same problem.

Back in the DDR3 days, there were low density and high density RAM modules. Intel platforms on LGA775 only supported low density ones, and what you got is probably high density as they are by far the most common and I believe any Intel and AMD platform afterward supported them. It's quite difficult to track down low density stuff, but it's still floating around. Does eBay have a presence in Argentina? I found going into anything less than a stellar computer parts store, the sales people have no idea how to even search for density differences, so you'd have to look up a product number to find out.

well in argentina there's eBay but buying from there is quite difficult and definitely not cheap due to taxes and stuff. A more popular option is mercadolibre its like ebay but also has new products apart from used ones

10 hours ago, Nick Neuburg said:

could just be that the mother board doesn't support that setup. most older prebuilds such as optiplexe's or inspiron's mobos don't support a lot of configs

it might be that

13 hours ago, ignaciogabriel797 said:

so i bought a sff dell optiplex 380 and wanted to throw a 2x4gb 1600mhz kingston kit into it, and after doing a bios update its still not working.

does anyone have the solution to this??

PC specs:

Core 2 Duo E7500

2x2gb ddr3 1066mhz

GT 730 (i added it)

480gb ssd

you could try rolling back the bios if it doesn't work with that bios version but worked before.

That said, that's a really old system, and you'll be hard pressed to run much on it, as even "web-based" software is pretty resource heavy.

Just now, Kisai said:

you could try rolling back the bios if it doesn't work with that bios version but worked before.

That said, that's a really old system, and you'll be hard pressed to run much on it, as even "web-based" software is pretty resource heavy.

yeah I'll try doing a rollback, I'm running linux on it because it's lighter and runs well on old systems

• 7 months later...

Just in case anyone is still playing with OptiPlex 380. 8G RAM works on my computer. Just make sure you have the right memory, updated BIOS (A07) and 64bit version OS. Cheers!