Solved: 2080 Super low utilization and low fps with GTA V

Hi everyone, I hope everyone's staying safe.

Simply put, my RTX 2080 SUPER can't play GTA 5 respectfully at any settings, let alone the Nvidia recommend "optimized" settings. which given the specs, makes absolutely no sense!

On 1080 I can get somewhere between 24-44 fps with an average of 33. No Mods whatsoever.

Here is the rundown:
AMD Ryzen 9 3950X liquid cooled
64 gigs of RAM @ 3200 C16
Game running on a non-OS NVMe at the beginning,thinking that might be the problem, I uninstalled it and installed it again on OS drive (both launcher and game on the same drive) no change whatsoever.
2080 Super running on latest driver, just stress tested it to make sure I'm not losing my mind. Temps barely went above 72C, no throttling. Normal MSI Afterburner profile, nothing crazy.
Everything is updated,, even the bios

Game Settings:

https://imgur.com/a/rhktFNA

Stats during in-game benchmark:
CPU utilization barely exceeding 10-18% @ 4.23 GHz, although about 8 cores working harder than the others, still not maxed out.

RAM @ 13 GB stable (20%)

GPU is recognized. 3D utilization never exceeds 10-20%. Copy never exceeds 5%. Video encode/decode both 0%. Overall Utilization around 19%. Dedicated GPU memory usage is around 6.9-7Gigs. GPU memory @ 7.1Gigs. Shared GPU memory 0.2/32 GB stable.

There's something seriously wrong here. I see others on Youtube playing at higher resolutions and much higher frame rates
During the opening/loading screen, it's a beautiful 250 fps.. other than that it's utter crap.
My power management is set on maximum performance. I honestly don't know what else to do.
I can play something like No Man's Sky on 4K full Ultra settings with 50-55 fps. And with Fortnite with all settings maxed out at Epic I can get 57-60 fps since my screen is capped at 60. and I ask for nothing more.

This makes absolutely no sense. Anyone got any ideas? Please do share as I'm beyond frustrated rn. Thanks.

Are you using single channel memory? Sometimes the difference between single and dual is about 30 FPS.

Edit: I also noted your scaling in advanced graphics settings. Changing it to your value on same graphics settings lowered my FPS from 100+ to 25-40ish on a 2080TI.

11 minutes ago, Anxious Hairball said:

Are you using single channel memory? Sometimes the difference between single and dual is about 30 FPS.

Edit: I also noted your scaling in advanced graphics settings. Changing it to your value on same graphics settings lowered my FPS from 100+ to 25-40ish on a 2080TI.

I am very new to this.. after many years of savings,, this is basically my first PC build, so I honestly have no idea.

I am using Corsair CMW64GX4M4C3200C16W Vengeance RGB PRO 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4-25600) C16, on a MSI Prestige X570 Creation Motherboard.

And I honestly didn't understand your second point 😅 sorry for the inconvenience.

14 minutes ago, Anxious Hairball said:

Changing it to your value on same graphics settings lowered my FPS from 100+ to 25-40ish on a 2080TI.

what do you mean by that?

5 minutes ago, hazzaaa3 said:

4x16GB

You're not using single channel memory, you're using quad channel. :) 

As for the second part, in your 4th screenshot your frame scaling is set to "5/2 (x2.500)". I have set it to "off", and I just tested with your setting. FPS dropped from 100+ to 25-30 and sometimes even 17. 

12 minutes ago, Anxious Hairball said:

You're not using single channel memory, you're using quad channel. :) 

As for the second part, in your 4th screenshot your frame scaling is set to "5/2 (x2.500)". I have set it to "off", and I just tested with your setting. FPS dropped from 100+ to 25-30 and sometimes even 17. 

Holy crap i just turned it off and it jumped to 67-80 in general, very few times it was 100-110, with around 54 on the big explosion scene at the end. Dude Thank you so MUCH!!! OMG!

I'm VERY new at this and I don't know what half those settings mean.

now I'm getting a bit greedy, can I push the settings a bit more?

3 minutes ago, hazzaaa3 said:

Holy crap i just turned it off and it jumped to 67-80 in general, very few times it was 100-110, with around 54 on the big explosion scene at the end. Dude Thank you so MUCH!!! OMG!

No problem. :)

Frame scaling AFAIK is basically down scaling, the game renders at a much higher resolution and then scales to your monitor's native resolution, thus reducing aliasing (jagged edges).

You can turn up MSAA if you're playing on 1080p, otherwise IMO it doesn't matter much. It will eat some of your GPU though. 

24 minutes ago, Anxious Hairball said:

Also check the "Nvidia PCSS" shadows option, IMO it's the most realistic option. 

dude I can't thank you enough!!! This is amazing.

I tried it on 1440 and the quality is unbelievable.. AMAZING.. I will try to tweak the settings for 4K but I'm very happy with 1440 around 60 fps.

Can you push it to 4K above 60 fps with the ti?

1 hour ago, hazzaaa3 said:

Can you push it to 4K above 60 fps with the ti?

I play on 1080p, and the max I would go is 2K. Higher resolutions doesn't really bother me that much since I'm not playing on a big screen. 

Seeing other games like Anno 1800 struggle when the city density increases at 1080p, I think I'll just stick with it for now. :P 

Glad to see you playing GTA over 60 FPS now BTW. 

8 minutes ago, Anxious Hairball said:

I play on 1080p, and the max I would go is 2K. Higher resolutions doesn't really bother me that much since I'm not playing on a big screen. 

Seeing other games like Anno 1800 struggle when the city density increases at 1080p, I think I'll just stick with it for now. :P 

Glad to see you playing GTA over 60 FPS now BTW. 

I got a 32 inch monitor about 20 inches away from me 😅 I built this for video/photo editing. and a friend got me excited about playing video games on it. haven't turned on that PS4 since :D  and I sincerely thank you for making that possible 🙏