Ryzen 7 3800x new build. Temperature and clock query.

Hi All,

A long time lurker and I finally had my dream machine built 3 days ago. I have to apologize in advance if this has been in the discussion previously. Tried searching and found inconclusive information. My parts are as follows:

1. Ryzen 7 3800x

2. HyperX Predator 16GB x 2 kit at 3200mhz CL16 on XMP profile 1 @ 3200mhz CL16

3. MSI Carbon X570 Wifi Pro (i know not the best but we are running out of computer parts here in Malaysia)

4. 1TB Aorus NVMe Gen 4 

5. 1TB Kingston a400 Sata drive for Steam games

6. Aorus P850watt Gold PSU

7. ROG Strix 2080ti @ stock

8. NZXT H510i with those LEDs and some device at the back maybe for powering the strips. 2x 120mm fan (top and rear case) for exhaust 

9. Cooler Master Mirage 240L AiO. pump connected to CPU_Pump and the fans are connected to CPU_Fan headers respectively. Both running at all default setting in PWM mode. Radiator is front mounted with the 2 included fans installed in pull-through the radiator configuration. 

I have updated the motherboard to the latest beta BIOS version as posted on MSI support page. Prior to doing that, could not even get the system to POST while on XMP. My questions as follow:

1. Currently on stock/default setting for the CPU, i can only get 4.4GHz single core and 4.150GHz all core boost while running Cinebench R20. Ryzen Master shows idle temp at 38C while load temp at 78C with the AIO. Peak voltage at 1.35V. is this okay? On my old i5 9400f, highest i hit was 71C with Hyper 212 Evo cooler. 

2. For the first time in 20 years, I tried overclocking. in BIOS i changed multiplier to 43. Boot fine with XMP and hold 4.3GHz all core. However, temps hit 95C while running Cinebench R20. is there something wrong with my AiO? 

Thanks in advance for your input. 

27 minutes ago, Imannudein said:

Hi All,

A long time lurker and I finally had my dream machine built 3 days ago. I have to apologize in advance if this has been in the discussion previously. Tried searching and found inconclusive information. My parts are as follows:

1. Ryzen 7 3800x

2. HyperX Predator 16GB x 2 kit at 3200mhz CL16 on XMP profile 1 @ 3200mhz CL16

3. MSI Carbon X570 Wifi Pro (i know not the best but we are running out of computer parts here in Malaysia)

4. 1TB Aorus NVMe Gen 4 

5. 1TB Kingston a400 Sata drive for Steam games

6. Aorus P850watt Gold PSU

7. ROG Strix 2080ti @ stock

8. NZXT H510i with those LEDs and some device at the back maybe for powering the strips. 2x 120mm fan (top and rear case) for exhaust 

9. Cooler Master Mirage 240L AiO. pump connected to CPU_Pump and the fans are connected to CPU_Fan headers respectively. Both running at all default setting in PWM mode. Radiator is front mounted with the 2 included fans installed in pull-through the radiator configuration. 

I have updated the motherboard to the latest beta BIOS version as posted on MSI support page. Prior to doing that, could not even get the system to POST while on XMP. My questions as follow:

1. Currently on stock/default setting for the CPU, i can only get 4.4GHz single core and 4.150GHz all core boost while running Cinebench R20. Ryzen Master shows idle temp at 38C while load temp at 78C with the AIO. Peak voltage at 1.35V. is this okay? On my old i5 9400f, highest i hit was 71C with Hyper 212 Evo cooler. 

2. For the first time in 20 years, I tried overclocking. in BIOS i changed multiplier to 43. Boot fine with XMP and hold 4.3GHz all core. However, temps hit 95C while running Cinebench R20. is there something wrong with my AiO? 

Thanks in advance for your input. 

“Binned” 3800x May not be binned enough. Could also be a paste issue though not very likely. 4.3 may be too much for your chip.  The issue with new chips is getting the heat out of cpu as much as it is disappearing heat once it’s gotten out.  Better paste may help.

Im wondering if they’re saving the really good bins for 3800xt at this point. 

the pro carbon is known for not always having the strongest VRM.  Maybe make sure there’s good airflow to it at minimum.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

@Bombastinator thank you for the reply. I have re-install the AiO using Arctic MX4 thermal paste. Got the temp down by 2C i think. could be nothing. 

9 hours ago, Imannudein said:

load temp at 78C with the AIO. Peak voltage at 1.35V. is this okay

Yes it is 

9 hours ago, Imannudein said:

tried overclocking. in BIOS i changed multiplier to 43. Boot fine with XMP and hold 4.3GHz all core. However, temps hit 95C while running Cinebench R20. is there something wrong with my AiO? 

Check your voltage

And check your soc voltage

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

45 minutes ago, Imannudein said:

@Bombastinator thank you for the reply. I have re-install the AiO using Arctic MX4 thermal paste. Got the temp down by 2C i think. could be nothing. 

2c isn’t much.  About what might be expected going from low to mid tier thermal paste.  Implies paste isn’t the issue.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

So after further testing, gaming and video rendering, i concluded that what i have is normal. peak CPU temp while on adobe premier was 78C. on RDR2, 1080P all on Ultra, CPU peaked at 56 to 59C. Just gonna have to live it I guess. 

1 minute ago, Imannudein said:

So after further testing, gaming and video rendering, i concluded that what i have is normal. peak CPU temp while on adobe premier was 78C. on RDR2, 1080P all on Ultra, CPU peaked at 56 to 59C. Just gonna have to live it I guess. 

These are above average temps

They are really good 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: