BSOD when installing Windows 10 on new system

Hi all!

I recently decided to upgrade my system - not to anything earth shattering, but hopefully to allow me to play some decent games on 1080p with high FPS.

System build is:

Gigabyte B450M DS3H motherboard - F50 Bios version (updated to support 3rd Gen Ryzen)

Ryzen 3 3300x

Asus Arez RX580 8GB

Cooler Master 500W PSU

2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance CMK16GX4M2A2133C13

Samsung 840EVO 120GB SSD

Installed in a BitFenix Prodigy M

Everything is brand new except the RAM which I bought second hand and the SSD which I am bringing over from my old system.

I got everything installed and put the drive in from my old machine and it booted into Windows first time, but as I wanted a nice clean install I decided to reinstall Windows using the USB boot option for Windows 10 install.

Installation program loads, I choose the version and drive location then start. It gets to somewhere between 5%-30% of the second step ("Getting files ready for installation") and then I get a BSOD. The error I was getting most of the time was "MEMORY MANAGEMENT".

• I tried a different SSD - PNY CS900 240GB brand new which I had bought for another project, but still got the same error.
  • I thought it was the RAM, but have run memtest86 on both sticks individually and find no errors.
  • I tried installing Windows from a different USB stick, but still getting the same error.
  • I tried underclocking the RAM (getting desperate!) and this time got a "CACHE MANAGEMENT" error.
  • The BIOS was already at the latest version (F50) so I tried rolling back to the previous version (F42h) but this time got a "PFN LIST CORRUPT" BSOD error.
  • Updated to the latest BIOS again (F50) and am now getting "IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL".

Next step is to return the motherboard-CPU bundle I bought and hope that a replacement fixes this, but would rather just get this sorted if possible.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! This is beyond me to know what to try next!

Thank you!!

Try overclocking the RAM, Jayztwocents had this PC that would crash unless the RAM was OCed.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

Hi TheJooomes - Any suggestions on how much to overclock by? I've never ocerclocked before - do I just ramp up the RAM frequency?

I enabled XMP profile and changed the speed to 2400Mhz but made no other changes (as I don't really know what else to tweak to OC RAM) but this time got the following BSOD:

"PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA"

I had a look online and got some config settings from others that have the same memory. I got it up to 2866Mhz and made it into the install screen as normal but got a BSOD at the same point (around 10% into the "Getting files ready for installation" part) and this time got this error message again: "IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL"

computer parts i don't buy second hand... i can buy on sale from stores.. but never second hand... unless i know the guy i buy it from... 

Have ordered some new RAM as all roads seem to be pointing to it being a RAM issue - fingers crossed thats all it is!

• 1 month later...