why websites do this?

Hello I want to buy a course on udemy, i checked the price yesterday and it was 14€. Today i went on the website and i found out that the course now costs 5€ more and i was like wtf (but yeah prices changes) but then i opened a new private window and i found out that the price was lower by 2€ so i was shocked!  image.thumb.png.d505f61e440841f1e64df5fb8c960bc7.pngthen i tried to open a new window with tor and i found a different price image.thumb.png.ccf18ee61918e9400fae71fd314d2266.png then i saw that the coupon code was different so i tried to change it but "the coupon code is not valid for this course" image.thumb.png.d63fc8ab5d7d7feecbd99a4043847768.png the bad thing is that the instructor always get 9€ or something like that and the website takes the rest. this is a scam 

i can't buy it on the tor window because udemy says that the page is not protected.
Edit: my friend see that the course is at 14€. is this legal? the course

try to clear the browser cookies and try again. or use a different browser

10 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

try to clear the browser cookies and try again. or use a different browser

the price was still 19.99€ so i made a big thing. i created a new account, bought the course as a gift and i sent it to my account. i made all of this for 6.99€. But at the end of the month i will donate them (+ other money)

Short answer - money! It's a common strategy to make your product seem discounted to give this sense of urgency when buying. Though it's really weird that they're changing the price so much. I can excuse this when they have different prices for different geographical locations because of differences in buying power, but it falls apart if users can notice it so easily. 

26 minutes ago, deathfrankcore said:

Hello I want to buy a course on udemy

If you'd google around a bit, you'd notice that Udemy has always been more of a scam than anything else. They are deliberately constantly messing around with the prices and claiming this or that is on sale, just to get people to buy stuff when they think they're getting a good deal. It's all a fucking scam.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

If you'd google around a bit, you'd notice that Udemy has always been more of a scam than anything else. They are deliberately constantly messing around with the prices and claiming this or that is on sale, just to get people to buy stuff when they think they're getting a good deal. It's all a fucking scam.

in real stores it's illegal to do that, in Italy during spring sales there are a lot of fines for this problem (they higher the price and then they say it's 20% of discount but the price is the same as the old one)

10 minutes ago, deathfrankcore said:

the price was still 19.99€ so i made a big thing. i created a new account, bought the course as a gift and i sent it to my account. i made all of this for 6.99€. But at the end of the month i will donate them (+ other money)

good thinking. I don't think it's worth donating to someone who's trying to scam you. you probably bought the course for it's actual real value.

1 minute ago, deathfrankcore said:

in real stores it's illegal to do that, in Italy during spring sales there are a lot of fines for this problem (they higher the price and then they say it's 20% of discount but the price is the same as the old one)

It's illegal in most countries. Alas, on the Internet almost anything goes. Personally, I recommend people to stay away from Udemy -- there are far better sites for pretty much anything.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, boggy77 said:

good thinking. I don't think it's worth donating to someone who's trying to scam you. you probably bought the course for it's actual real value.

yeah i prefer to donate to other things. from last month me and my 2 friend decided to donate every month to some charities, we are not rich but even a penny can help (i think)

update: they sent me this email : 
"ciao Francesco

thanks for contacting us and sorry for the confusion.

Udemy's goal is to help students find the right course at the right price, so it can sometimes happen that the same course has different promotions.

For example, as a tool to encourage new students to attend courses, we often offer promotions that offer a one-off discount for signing up. Already present students, however, may see a different sale when they log into their Udemy account. In addition, because Udemy is a global company, our marketing team can launch various promotions targeting different types of students, regions and markets.

Remember that we will honor the best price for any course purchased up to 30 days after the initial purchase date. So, if you were to see a lower price for the course you purchased in the last 30 days, you just need to contact us with the exact title of the course in question and adjust the price.

Here is a one-off discount code that you can use to receive the best price currently available for all eligible courses in your cart" 
 the good part is this "Udemy's goal is to help students find the right course at the right price" , "our marketing team can launch various promotions targeting different types of students, regions and markets." that's not true because when i logged in on the private window the price was lower, even if i was the same student in the same region and in the same market. "Remember that we will honor the best price for any course purchased up to 30 days after the initial purchase date" this means that a lot of students asked a refund after finding the same course at a lower price. the code that they sent me lowers the price of a  random course from 19.99€ to 17.99€ which is still more than my friend 13.99€. i like their effort but that's still not okay 

• 4 weeks later...

changing price depending on person has been around even since before the internet. it's especially prevalent when buying property or booking flights.

16 hours ago, rikupone said:

changing price depending on person has been around even since before the internet. it's especially prevalent when buying property or booking flights.

They still do this in Italy. Ice cream for us 3€ ice cream for tourists 50€

3 hours ago, deathfrankcore said:

jesus that's terrible

4 hours ago, deathfrankcore said:

38 minutes ago, rikupone said:

jesus that's terrible

If you're paying €50 for an ice cream, you've clearly gone to the wrong location. :P From my own experience in Italy, I've found that outside the big cities the food was often much better, and even cheaper too.

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

Some courses are good. Others are absolutely terrible. 

They do sales very often as said above for the reasons above. 

Things go on sale at least twice a month for most classes.