Graphene: The Nano-sized Material With A Massive Future

Jozi

Sorry to break it to you guys. 

http://gizmodo.com/5995046/graphene-has-a-fatal-flaw

"The result? Imperfect sheets of graphene—which essentially means most of them—have about half the strength of pristine samples of the material."

So instead of being 100x the strength of steel, it's only 50x?  I still see reason for hype :P  Besides, its mechanical properties aren't the most interesting thing about it to me, but its electrical properties and potential use in integrated circuits and transistors.  Even if it turns out to be too brittle to use in structural applications, that was only a small part of its potential.

Graphene is a one atom thick layer of carbon, arranged in a hex-lattice.  Interesting stuff.  It's self-healing too, meaning if there is a graphene sheet with holes in it and it is bombarded by carbon atoms, they naturally fall into place in a hex-structure and fill in the hole.  Cool stuff.  It's shows great promise in integrated circuits and people are working on their compatibility with CMOS and digital information.

Self healing, Huh ? That means that soon, the PC cases might have Graphene finish on top, so scratches can disappear. What about that.

Another thing. Graphine is CHEAP, and It's 1000 times more conductive than silicone. Sounds like Graphine Thermal Paste to me :D. What do you think ? :)

Look at this. I'm amazed. Read all of the uses please. http://gizmodo.com/5988977/9-incredible-uses-for-graphene

AMD FX-8350 // ASUS Radeon R9 280X Matrix // ASUS M5A97 Pro // Corsair Vengance 8GB 1600MHz // Corsair RM850 PSU //  WD Green 2TB // Corsair H60 // Cooler Master Elite 430 // KBParadise V60 MX Blue // Logitech G602 // Sennheiser HD 598 + Focusrrrrite 2i2 + MXL V67 // Samsung SyncMaster 245BW 1920x1200 // #killedmywife  #afterdark  #makebombs #Twerkit      "it touches my junk"   linus 2014

Guys. Watch this video. IBM wants to start making Graphine transistors. They have proven that the Graphine transistors can reach 100-150 GHz. Go to 7:37.

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/multimedia/2011/sep/29/how-to-make-graphene

Btw Linus should definitely add this topic to the next live stream. :)

AMD FX-8350 // ASUS Radeon R9 280X Matrix // ASUS M5A97 Pro // Corsair Vengance 8GB 1600MHz // Corsair RM850 PSU //  WD Green 2TB // Corsair H60 // Cooler Master Elite 430 // KBParadise V60 MX Blue // Logitech G602 // Sennheiser HD 598 + Focusrrrrite 2i2 + MXL V67 // Samsung SyncMaster 245BW 1920x1200 // #killedmywife  #afterdark  #makebombs #Twerkit      "it touches my junk"   linus 2014

Guys. Watch this video. IBM wants to start making Graphine transistors. They have proven that the Graphine transistors can reach 100-150 GHz. Go to 7:37.

yeah that would be awesome , it's electricity properties are just amazing 

Is this the stuff that is repelled by both magnetic polarities because a floor covered in magnets and a board that won't touch it would be pretty damned fun.

Oh and p.s if anyone takes this idea and uses it (having a magnetised floor and magnetised board of opposite polarities also counts, or anything else involving magnets and hoverboards.) then I shall expect compensation in the form of travel to the location and beer, the beer would probably be best after I have broken myself trying to balance myself upon a magnetic field....

There are a few things that matter when it comes to batteries.  Capacity (per weight and size), how fast it can discharge, how long it sustains a charge, and how many recharge cycles it can withstand, since you can never restore a battery 100% to its original state and get every molecule back in place, all batteries eventually degrade...  Capacitors can store a lot of energy and charge/discharge very quickly, but they also lose their charge very fast.  DRAM operates on capacitors, that's why when you shut off power to your computer all information in the RAM is lost, capacitors hold electricity but it drains out in a split second, it can't hold onto a charge like batteries can.

Does this work the same way as thermodynamics? I.E. something that gains charge quickly also will lose it quickly?

I don't really know a lot about electricity--I haven't gotten there in school yet (doing biology right now).

[spoiler=My Current PC]AMD FX-8320 @ 4.2 Ghz | Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk II | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | 8GB Adata XPG V2 Silver 1600 Mhz RAM | Gigabyte 3X Windforce GTX 770 4GB @ 1.27 Ghz/7.25 Ghz | Rosewill Hive 550W Bronze PSU | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Samsung Evo 250 GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | ASUS VS239H-P | Razer Deathadder 2013 Partlist

LTT Build-Off Thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35226-the-ltt-build-off-thread-no-building-required/

That would be interesting, would kick out some serious computing power but what about the energy consumption and heat?

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

That would be interesting, would kick out some serious computing power but what about the energy consumption and heat?

It's amazing, but if you watch the whole video, you'll see that the guy says that the chips will consume less power, and run cooler. Thats amazing. 0_0

It's amazing, but if you watch the whole video, you'll see that the guy says that the chips will consume less power, and run cooler. Thats amazing. 0_0

I would have but the internet is being a whore again, out of my control.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Yes heat comes from electrical resistance; graphene is far more conductive than silicon and so it has far less resistance, therefore they barely give off any heat for the amount of operations they perform compared to silicon.

Go IBM :D

Question that immediatly pops up in my mind: how much graphene is there?

As long as there is Carbon, there is a possibility to make graphene, wich is with almost anything. Including your body.

CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X, Mobo : X79-UD3, Memory : 4x4GB Vengeance Black Memory 1600MHz, GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix, Case : Switch 810 Matte Black, Storage : 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, PSU : Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze, Displays : 3x Asus 1080p Screens, Cooling : Corsair H100i, Keyboard : Logitech G710+, Mouse : Madcat Cyborg R.A.T.7, Sound : Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, Logitech Z-5500, HMD : Oculus Rift CV1

In that case, very interesting indeed. Didn't know it was a form of carbon. Of course, being widely abundant in the universe doesn't always mean being abundant on earth (just take a look at helium, for example).

Nothing is lost, nothing is created, everything is transformed

CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X, Mobo : X79-UD3, Memory : 4x4GB Vengeance Black Memory 1600MHz, GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix, Case : Switch 810 Matte Black, Storage : 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, PSU : Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze, Displays : 3x Asus 1080p Screens, Cooling : Corsair H100i, Keyboard : Logitech G710+, Mouse : Madcat Cyborg R.A.T.7, Sound : Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, Logitech Z-5500, HMD : Oculus Rift CV1

Self healing, Huh ? That means that soon, the PC cases might have Graphene finish on top, so scratches can disappear. What about that.

Another thing. Graphine is CHEAP, and It's 1000 times more conductive than silicone. Sounds like Graphine Thermal Paste to me :D. What do you think ? :)

Look at this. I'm amazed. Read all of the uses please. http://gizmodo.com/5988977/9-incredible-uses-for-graphene

Well it needs to be bombarded with carbon atoms.  I'm not sure how practical the "self-healing" is at a macro level, like how long it would take for a scratch to be repaired or if special equipment is required, I just thought it was interesting to note.  At the very least it might mean that you could send in your laptop to a carbon bombarding machine lab or something for a touch up on the casing even if it doesn't quite repair itself the next day :P

IBM has made broadband radio mixers which are analog devices, but nothing digital/CMOS compatible yet... further improvement needs to be done to introduce a bandgap to graphene since it is not a natural semiconductor, and a high on/off ratio found in semiconductors like silicon is required for digital information.  Bilayer graphene is one solution to this that is being explored.

IBM has made broadband radio mixers which are analog devices, but nothing digital/CMOS compatible yet... further improvement needs to be done to introduce a bandgap to graphene since it is not a natural semiconductor, and a high on/off ratio found in semiconductors like silicon is required for digital information.  Bilayer graphene is one solution to this that is being explored.

While not directly graphene, IBM could use a carbon nanotube (CNT).  As CNT's are made up of single atom wall, it essentially is graphene made in a tube form.  The benefit of the hexagonal structure (looking like armchairs \_/ or zig-zags /\/\) can allow the tubes to be either a semiconductor or electrical conduates (see http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/05/130501145146.htm ).

0b10111010 10101101 11110000 00001101

Well it needs to be bombarded with carbon atoms.  I'm not sure how practical the "self-healing" is at a macro level, like how long it would take for a scratch to be repaired or if special equipment is required, I just thought it was interesting to note.  At the very least it might mean that you could send in your laptop to a carbon bombarding machine lab or something for a touch up on the casing even if it doesn't quite repair itself the next day :P

Yeah, but it will be very anoying to have to take the case/laptop to a shop that has that special equipment. It would be awesome if you could just apply a little amount of heat to the surface. And by little amount, I mean rubbing the surface. :D

I hope Linus will talk about this in the next live !

Well, it wasn't just discovered now, it's been around for a while.  Research on it progresses, slowly but steadily :)

There are other materials that might replace silicon as well... Molybdenite for example http://actu.epfl.ch/news/first-molybdenite-microchip/

Lockheed Martin Achieves Patent for Perforene™ Filtration Solution, Moves Closer to Affordable Water Desalination

BALTIMORE, March 18, 2013 – Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] has been awarded a patent for Perforene™ material, a molecular filtration solution designed to meet the growing global demand for potable water.

The Perforene material works by removing sodium, chlorine and other ions from sea water and other sources.

“Access to clean drinking water is going to become more critical as the global population continues to grow, and we believe that this simple and affordable solution will be a game-changer for the industry,” said Dr. Ray O. Johnson, senior vice president and chief technology officer of Lockheed Martin. “The Perforene filtration solution is just one example of Lockheed Martin’s efforts to apply some of the advanced materials that we have developed for our core markets, including aircraft and spacecraft, to global environmental and economic challenges.” "

Source : http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/news/press-releases/2013/march/lockheed-martin-achieves-patent-for-perforene-filtration-solutio.html

One of the many applications of that material !

Single layer of graphite is called graphene just write something with a pencil on a paper stick a tape on it and remove it and you have got graphene, yeah its that simple.

Sony Vaio Pro 13 CPU:Haswell Core i5 4200U RAM: 4 GB GPU: HD4400 Storage: SSD Pci-e 128GB (Its really fast), External 1TB Seagate Expansion Drive Weight: 1.06kg (made of carbon fiber) 

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (4.4.2 Omnirom) 

You all really don't see the point of the technology not beiing used : Politics and Economics if we all would swap OG bateries for these new ones it'll be disasterous for some big companies and it will also be the end of the Petrol industry for cars . Untill we really run out of Oil etc. then we will be going to change to another technology pure cause of money .

Interested in Business and Technology