10Gbe Switch rabbit hole

Go to solution Solved by brwainer,

Mikrotik CSS326-24G-2S+RM $139 USD- https://mikrotik.com/product/CSS326-24G-2SplusRM

Beyond that it would help to know what country you are asking about, and what retailers are available in your country/region.

Hello to everyone. This pandemic time determined me to do more work at home and sadly my old NAS kicked  the bucket and now I want to step up the game a bit and implement 10Gbe only to get faster speeds between my workstation and NAS (the new nas will be made from old PC with FX processor and also increase size with a rackable server case). Having the backup made on the NAS was a nightmare. Pulling and writing large files to the poor machine (may rest in peace) took almost forever and now i need to take it up a notch. I want to get a line between my NAS  and PC but the problem is the next one: right now i have the modem +router in the room with the PC and it use a coaxial line for now ( in few years I will get a fiber) and the coaxial is placed inside a PVC pipe pre-routed in concrete walls getting me an almost straight line to the room I want to move the nas and all the network stuff. Due the fact that I want to keep the coaxial line to be able to use it for TV, I'm forced to use fiber optic, CAT can't fit thru the PVC pipe and to get it thru walls is a lot of work and  unaesthetic. So I'm looking for a switch that have 2SFP+ 10Gb and few 1Gb RJ ports. Has anyone any option at an affordable price? In my country 10Gbe RJ45 equipment is at a premium price, but a friend refurbished 2 servers with SFP+ NICs so I can get them from him and I have a connection that can get me fiber optic for a really cheap price.

8 minutes ago, brwainer said:

Mikrotik CSS326-24G-2S+RM $139 USD- https://mikrotik.com/product/CSS326-24G-2SplusRM

Beyond that it would help to know what country you are asking about, and what retailers are available in your country/region.

Thank you for your response. The country is Romania. And to give you a glimpse that very mikrotik is around $420 w/o TAX. We have grate internet speeds (1Gb) but all the equipment that has above 1Gb capability is overpriced AF.......

EDIT: found the same at a lower price and I'm really thinking going for it. Thanks again for your time

2 minutes ago, KrYpToCiD said:

Thank you for your response. The country is Romania. And to give you a glimpse that very mikrotik is around $420 w/o TAX. We have grate internet speeds (1Gb) but all the equipment that has above 1Gb capability is overpriced AF.......

Mikrotik is a Latvian company, and aren’t both Romania and Latvia in the EU? Please ignore my US ignorance if it’s not simple. Anyway, can you order from Eurodk.com?

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

1 minute ago, brwainer said:

Mikrotik is a Latvian company, and aren’t both Romania and Latvia in the EU? Please ignore my US ignorance if it’s not simple. Anyway, can you order from Eurodk.com?

Well yeah. Solve it anyway, as wrote in the edit above. The thing is Romania is the most corrupted country in Eastern Union due being part of URSS block and every store wants

(comunist tradition ) to make more money with less work so they bump the prices to the sky. And most people like this way because they get loans to buy the newest Iphone/Samsung and cool cars 😃 . Long story short, in all transactions is a third party that takes a slice of pie and ordinary people are the one to pay. So yeah....

Stop with that bullcrap about Romania, you're full of shit.

Nothing stops you from buying that switch from Amazon UK or other EU stores. Technically UK is not in EU anymore, but you don't pay customs fees for packages under 150 euros and even if you do pay, the customs is less than 3-5% typically.

Here it is on Amazon UK at 126 pounds (155$) : https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mikrotik-CSS326-24G-2S-network-Managed-Ethernet/dp/B08437SXTM/

Here's a model sold by Euro DK through Amazon for 111 pounds: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cloud-Smart-Switch-326-24G-2S-RM/dp/B0723DT6MN/

Probably less at checkout due to difference in VAT (20% in UK, 19% in Romania, so at checkout the price is recalculated) and it probably will cost you 5-10 pounds to ship.

You can probably also order straight from Microtik or look at their distributor list and buy from any country that ships to Romania (or UE) ... a lot of them do ship for reasonable fees.

You also have

8 x 1g + 2 x 10g for 140 gbp : NETGEAR 10-Port Gigabit/10G Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (GS110MX) - with 2 x 10G/Multi-gig, Desktop/Rackmount, and ProSAFE Lifetime Protection: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

16 x 1g + 2 x 1g sfp + 2 x 10g sfp+ for 170 gbp : D-Link 20-Port Gigabit SmartPro Stackable Switch Including 2 10G SFP+ Ports DGS-1510-20, Black: D-Link: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories