Ryzen 5 3600 cooling

Go to solution Solved by HippY,

I am in the exact same boat, core temp reports around 60 C° temp when I am just watching a 1080p stream and web browsing, which is outragous.

What I see is the voltage is really high (1.4V when watching a stream) and the CPU is boosting all over the place rapidly, so it might be a cooler issue (I will change it if I see a sale or have funds, its a bit small) but it can be a boosting issue, check these numbers.

I will try to find more information on this behaviour

I have recently got a Ryzen 5 3600 CPU and with the stock cooler it hits 95+ celsius on warzone and other titles  it also reaches 70c at idle which is a little bit uncomfortable and does a weird temp spice where it would be at 80c and then jump to 90c and then slowly climb temp while spiking. So i am thinking of upgrading why cooler to liquid cooling but i'm not sure what size or cooler to get.

Remount your cooler. That is not normal for the stock cooler. Stock temps should max out around 85C under stress tests.

Questions to consider before you blame the stock cooler.

1. Are there background processes running when you are using the CPU which is using CPU power and leaving you little for the game?

2. Is the CPU Stock cooler properly wired into the motherboard and power supply? Is it correctly mounted?

3. Is your BIOS version the latest as you prob will need the latest to enable fan speed control. Your CPU Cooler's fan RPM may be at idle speed and not max when you are playing the games.

4. Is the CPU stock cooler broken or imperfect? Do check for imperfections and if it is, get another one

Try to re-mount the cooler. There is no sticker on the ryzen 5 stock cooler is there? 😜

I have remounted the cooler 3 times now and replaced the thermal paste and didn't see a difference. I screw in the cooler as much as the screws will let me. And have the latest bios update for the MSi tomahawk. 

55 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Remount your cooler. That is not normal for the stock cooler. Stock temps should max out around 85C under stress tests.

I have remounted the cooler 3 times now and replaced the thermal paste and didn't see a difference. I screw in the cooler as much as the screws will let me. And have the latest bios update for the MSi tomahawk. 

1 hour ago, GiftedNovaHD said:

Questions to consider before you blame the stock cooler.

1. Are there background processes running when you are using the CPU which is using CPU power and leaving you little for the game?

2. Is the CPU Stock cooler properly wired into the motherboard and power supply? Is it correctly mounted?

3. Is your BIOS version the latest as you prob will need the latest to enable fan speed control. Your CPU Cooler's fan RPM may be at idle speed and not max when you are playing the games.

4. Is the CPU stock cooler broken or imperfect? Do check for imperfections and if it is, get another one

45 minutes ago, Logi Bear said:

BIOD updated? Chipset driver updated? Something is very wrong with your cooler settings or BIOS voltage since 95 is insanity even on the stock cooler.

I updated the bios around a week ago and the voltage was around 1.4ish.

35 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

BIOD updated? Chipset driver updated? Something is very wrong with your cooler settings or BIOS voltage since 95 is insanity even on the stock cooler.

I updated the bios around a week ago and the voltage was around 1.4ish. i have just updated the chipset drivers too and the cpu temp spikes are still happening.

I am in the exact same boat, core temp reports around 60 C° temp when I am just watching a 1080p stream and web browsing, which is outragous.

What I see is the voltage is really high (1.4V when watching a stream) and the CPU is boosting all over the place rapidly, so it might be a cooler issue (I will change it if I see a sale or have funds, its a bit small) but it can be a boosting issue, check these numbers.

I will try to find more information on this behaviour