Weird internet issue.

Hey everyone, hoping you guys might be able to help me as my ISP and I are a bit stumped atm.

So for some reason using something like speedtest shows about double the amount of download speed I am supposed to have, but my ISP sees the correct download speed (upload is fine on both ends).

This came about as I've been having some internet issues recently and was hoping it was my ISP and not my new motherboard, however with this odd difference it's becoming more clear that it's probably my motherboard.

I have disabled quite a few "offload" settings and it seems to have mostly fixed my internet issues, tho not completely as I still get some odd lag here and there when playing games or watching Twitch. It's as if my internet just stops working for a few seconds.

Hopefully someone here are able to help, or at least have some suggestions that I can try. Can unfortunately not test with another PC as my laptop doesn't have an ethernet port.

Motherboard is Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE

Speedtest is showing 500Mbps.

What CPU do you have?

My 3700X can only use 900mbits of my 1000mbits download rate because it gets tanked at 100 % when downloading on steam.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 minute ago, Stahlmann98 said:

What CPU do you have?

My 3700X can only use 900mbits of my 1000mbits download rate because it gets tanked at 100 % when downloading on steam.

That's unrelated to actual bandwidth. Steam compresses the game so it uses less bandwidth, so your CPU needs to decompress the download in real time. Apparently 900-1000Mbps is the fastest your 3700X can decompress steam's download.

With a normal speedtest, it's not a matter of CPU resources.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

That's unrelated to actual bandwidth. Steam compresses the game so it uses less bandwidth, so your CPU needs to decompress the download in real time. Apparently 900-1000Mbps is the fastest your 3700X can decompress steam's download.

With a normal speedtest, it's not a matter of CPU resources.

Thats what i meant but failed to formulate the right way 😅.

When runnin speedtests i get 1000Mbps, its just the decompression bottlenecking my downloads on steam.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

33 minutes ago, Graverage said:

I have disabled quite a few "offload" settings and it seems to have mostly fixed my internet issues, tho not completely as I still get some odd lag here and there when playing games or watching Twitch. It's as if my internet just stops working for a few seconds.

I find issues like these to be more router related than issues with the computer NIC. How old is the router provided by your ISP?

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

29 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I find issues like these to be more router related than issues with the computer NIC. How old is the router provided by your ISP?

My router is a few years old by now, at least 4 years.

6 minutes ago, Graverage said:

My router is a few years old by now, at least 4 years.

Yea I would be suspicious about that thing then. ISP provided routers are typically cheapy made, even if they're manufactured by industry leaders like Cisco. I've told this story a few times on the forum before. But I had a conversation with the technical support team for my ISP when I was having issues of internet periodically going down. And the guy straight up admitted yea, these routers are not great for reliability and these issues will pop up after one year of service. And for good reason, cheaply manufactured devices that run 24/7 on end, it's about what you would expect. If I were you, I would see if you could get a replacement router first and see if that resolves your problems. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

I will try that. Thank you for the quick reply.