Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Control 2 PC's with single UPS

scottiecb19

Hi All,

Hope you're all keeping safe and well, wherever in the world you are.

I'm in the UK, and I have a PowerWalker VI 2200 LCD/UK IEC UPS 1200W. It's powerful enough to power my two PC's, but I also want it to power down both PC's in the event of a power outage. I have connected the UPS to one of the PC's and have installed the accompanying software on both PC's, but I cannot get the second PC to 'see' the UPS. In wanting the UPS to power down both systems, I appreciate I have to get both systems to see the 'shutdown command' from the UPS, whether this is directly from the UPS or the second computer obtaining it from the first computer. Regrettably I cannot see how to get this to work.

I did wonder about a 1 input 2 output USB cable, but all are either charging cables or you're looking at a KVM switch, which is as good as having no switch at all.

So I turn to you good folk to help me out here, if you could. Maybe I'm trying to achieve the impossible but even with my limited knowledge of these thing, I would have thought it would be possible.

If it helps, I have a direct network connection between the two machine (as both have a 2.5G connection) as well as the one to the router, not sure if this would assist in a solution.

Many thanks to you all. 

You can use a software called Network UPS tools. In this software you configure one PC as the master and one PC as the slave. The UPS is connected to the master. Whenever there is a power event, the master sends predefined messages to all the slaves configured. The slaves then trigger a shutdown or some other action.

This requires some effort, but works well.

That's great, but wow it looks complex. If this is the only solution then I'll work through it, some how, as it is better than the alternative. I do wonder though if there is an easier solution, hardware or software?