estimate the system resources of a server

hello there. 

i'm a back-end developer working on a webinar project and i wanted to know what is minimum and ideal resource requirement of a server that can host multiple live streams for around 1000 clients at the same time.

if anyone have any experience with this kind of stuff ,i would appreciate your guidance ..

and sorry for my bad English.

What bitrate is the video? Multiply that by a thousand that thats a reasonble esitmate for the bandwidth needed.

How much do you need to process the data, are you encrypting it? 

Are you buying a server, or using the cloud? Id probalby use cloud for dev, then you can easily buy the box size you needed.

Also Id look into make the program handle clustering well, esp if you plan to grow.

21 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What bitrate is the video? Multiply that by a thousand that thats a reasonble esitmate for the bandwidth needed.

How much do you need to process the data, are you encrypting it? 

Are you buying a server, or using the cloud? Id probalby use cloud for dev, then you can easily buy the box size you needed.

Also Id look into make the program handle clustering well, esp if you plan to grow.

average of 600kbps of data rate per user.

although networking part is not a problem... the thing is i don't know how much processing is needed per session.the data needs to be compressed and encoded at the server.(with something like h264 and aac lc). 

is these processes GPU intensive or CPU intensive? can modern CPUs/GPUs encode something like hundreds of concurrent video file encoding? 

1 hour ago, mohammacl said:

average of 600kbps of data rate per user.

although networking part is not a problem... the thing is i don't know how much processing is needed per session.the data needs to be compressed and encoded at the server.(with something like h264 and aac lc). 

is these processes GPU intensive or CPU intensive? can modern CPUs/GPUs encode something like hundreds of concurrent video file encoding? 

Do you need to have a different stream for every user? Its probably best to encode it once and pass that to everyone if you can.

You can do encoding on gpus, you probably want to use nvenc on nvidia gpus, look up the specs on the cards for max, but its often something like 600fps at 1080p h264 max, so that would be 10 60fps streams or 20 30fps streams at once.