Migrating Os for SSD upgrade.

Go to solution Solved by BlueChinchillaEatingDorito,
2 minutes ago, Sasas said:

I currently have HDd 1Tb in my laptop but it make my laptop slow. So I want to upgrade to 120gb m2 slot SSD as I have m2 slot available. But since currently I am using 227gb of disk space. And I have one partition C and other for recovery.

Everything I installed was with by default path.i.e,in C:/Program Files/ so if I am using minitools software to transfer OS to SSD only.

Will that fit or I need to match up to 227gb.

If you want to clone your drive, you would have to remove files (back them up somewhere else) and uninstall programs until you meet the max capacity of your SSD. Either way, I would just recommend you to start with a fresh install of Windows. You'll probably spend less time starting from scratch than trying to get your current install to fit. 

I currently have HDd 1Tb in my laptop but it make my laptop slow. So I want to upgrade to 120gb m2 slot SSD as I have m2 slot available. But since currently I am using 227gb of disk space. And I have one partition C and other for recovery.

Everything I installed was with by default path.i.e,in C:/Program Files/ so if I am using minitools software to transfer OS to SSD only.

2 minutes ago, Sasas said:

If you want to clone your drive, you would have to remove files (back them up somewhere else) and uninstall programs until you meet the max capacity of your SSD. Either way, I would just recommend you to start with a fresh install of Windows. You'll probably spend less time starting from scratch than trying to get your current install to fit. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

227GB is bigger than 120GB it will not fit on the SSD if you clone it, you can remove files to clone the drive or you can get a bigger SSD. Another option would be to install a fresh Windows install on the 120GB then just transfer what you need from the 1TB HDD to it.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

I got the point. I can see in users folder taking around 200gb the most of my drive .So I need to get a bigger SSD.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2020 at 1:11 PM, Sasas said:

Backup data to a cloud before cloning an old HDD. Use Veeam and cloud storage such as G Suite or Backblaze. Free drive C in order to fit the capacity of the SSD drive.

You could use Clonezilla to make a disk-to-disk clone. Once finish restoring data from the cloud.