Am I getting bottlenecking from this build?

AaronG 21

I have a r5 1600 and a rx Radeon 480 4gb and 8 Gb ddr4 3200mhz, I have noticed drops in FPS, my gpu goes from 100 to 0, or for example if my gpu is at 30% usage my cpu is aswell. Is this normal? What I can do? 

no bottlenecking, but both cpu and gpu may have trouble keeping up in newer games, especially if you have background tasks running

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

8 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

no bottlenecking, but both cpu and gpu may have trouble keeping up in newer games, especially if you have background tasks running

Is funny you said that Bc when I play over powered games like modern warfare, I get constant FPS and my gpu usage goes to 100 and good temps but when I go to cs go or fortnite my FPS sometimes drops and my gpu usage goes up and down, I’m trying to figure out the problem 😞

1 minute ago, AaronG 21 said:

Is funny you said that Bc when I play over powered games like modern warfare, I get constant FPS and my gpu usage goes to 100 and good temps but when I go to cs go or fortnite my FPS sometimes drops and my gpu usage goes up and down, I’m trying to figure out the problem 😞

cs:go and fornite are very cpu bound, meaning when there's action on the screen, the framerate drops. This is true for any cpu, even if you upgrade, it's just those drops are less pronounced. I'd look at upgrading to a used ryzen 2700x for around $100 or wait it out a bit and see if your motherboard supports ryzen 3000.

My recommendation right now is to just not update, those games will continue to act the way they do with a cpu upgrade. You're better off just waiting for a more calculated upgrade.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

40 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

cs:go and fornite are very cpu bound, meaning when there's action on the screen, the framerate drops. This is true for any cpu, even if you upgrade, it's just those drops are less pronounced. I'd look at upgrading to a used ryzen 2700x for around $100 or wait it out a bit and see if your motherboard supports ryzen 3000.

My recommendation right now is to just not update, those games will continue to act the way they do with a cpu upgrade. You're better off just waiting for a more calculated upgrade.

Gotcha, thank you for the help, I have another question, would overclocking help? I heard it does, i was thinking on overclocking, and upgrading my ram, I have 8 GB (4gb x2) dual channel, but I have 4 slots, so I wanted to upgrade to 16 Gb and buy another 4gb x2. What would you recommend? 

1 hour ago, AaronG 21 said:

Gotcha, thank you for the help, I have another question, would overclocking help? I heard it does, i was thinking on overclocking, and upgrading my ram, I have 8 GB (4gb x2) dual channel, but I have 4 slots, so I wanted to upgrade to 16 Gb and buy another 4gb x2. What would you recommend? 

First gen ryzen doesn’t overclock well. While overclocking could help smoothing out those lows, you’re unlikely to see a huge improvement, this is why many people run their cpu at stock without overclocking.

Increasing ram speed could help, not adding more ram. So you’d be looking at replacing the ram you see. However you might want to check what ram speed you’re running right now, since you might me throwing money to the wind if you’re upgrading 2933mhz to 3000mhz.

What I want to emphasize is that dips in game performance are normal. Throwing money at a problem will eventually solve it, but that money could be saved up for a larger upgrade. 

When I was in your situation, I invested money into a freesync monitor, which smoothed out the frames and made those drops more bearable. You have a lot of options, I’m not 100% informed on what your build is and what you can afford to improve, so do some research and you’ll be better informed when the day comes.