Strange Tearing while gaming

Ren-
Go to solution Solved by Ren-,

Update: Turns out it was the Previous GPU was the issue, apparently i hadn't tried playing since the new one...
Sorry for wasting time. 

So I have no Idea if this is actually a CPU issue, but i can't think of anything else it could be.
before i get into the issue, I'll list the contents of my Build for Reference.

• FX-8370 @4GHz
  • 32GB RAM @1866MHz
  • GTX 1660 Super
  • Fairly Generic LG 60Hz Display

With that out of the way I shall explain my issue.
For a while now, I've had issues of extreme visual tearing while playing any Game, no matter what Framerate the game is running at. I thought it was that my GPU was poop, so I got the 1660S, but things didn't change.
So I'm wondering what everyone else thinks it could be.

(Also, if there's any other information you would like me to add, just go ahead and ask)

Edited by Ren-
Added Display

Traditionally tearing is a frame rate issue because frames produced doesn’t synch up with frames shown. You’ve got an older cpu with a gigantic amount of memory and a reasonably strong gpu.  Does your monitor do synch?  What kind of frame rates do you get?  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Traditionally tearing is a frame rate issue because frames produced doesn’t synch up with frames shown. You’ve got an older cpu with a gigantic amount of memory and a reasonably strong gpu.  Does your monitor do synch?  What kind of frame rates do you get?  

It's an LG Fairly Generic 60Hz display. I have tried Limiting Frames to 60, even as low as 45. but my system is able to output up to about 100 when playing.

3 minutes ago, Ren- said:

It's an LG Fairly Generic 60Hz display. I have tried Limiting Frames to 60, even as low as 45. but my system is able to output up to about 100 when playing.

Without sync max frame rate doesn’t matter as much as mininmum frame rate.  If your max is 300 but your minimum is 40 you’ll still get Some tearing at 45.  Though probably less of it.  Capping max frame rate often raises minimum frame rate because it gives the device more time to fill the frame buffer, but if the frame buffer is small enough or there is some other problem it may not help.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Without sync max frame rate doesn’t matter as much as mininmum frame rate.  If your max is 300 but your minimum is 40 you’ll still get Some tearing at 45.  Though probably less of it.  Capping max frame rate often raises minimum frame rate because it gives the device more time to fill the frame buffer, but if the frame buffer is small enough or there is some other problem it may not help.

and.... you've lost me.
Oh, update, Lisplay is LG 24M47VQ

Max frame rate doesn’t matter much..  minimum frame rate is the money one for tearing problems.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Max frame rate doesn’t matter much..  minimum frame rate is the money one for tearing problems.

oh. i get you. so how would i improve the minimum?

29 minutes ago, Ren- said:

oh. i get you. so how would i improve the minimum?

Dunno .  I don’t even know if it’s even the problem.  Maybe find out what it even is to start

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Dunno .  I don’t even know if it’s even the problem.  Maybe find out what it even is to start

@Bombastinator How would I confirm/deny if it is that??

It might be worth borrowing a mate's monitor which has V-Sync/G-Sync and turning that on to sync your FPS to the monitor's max frequency. If that doesn't solve the issue then you know it's related to your hardware, not the display.

44 minutes ago, Ren- said:

@Bombastinator How would I confirm/deny if it is that??

Minimum fps?  Use an app.  How did you find out max was 100fps?  My point is if your minimum fps is terrible it’s going to tear anyway so we fix that issue and see if it still tears.  If it’s tearing because of halts or really I consistent fps that will show too.  If on the other hand your minimum is ABOVE 45 then it’s clearly something else. @Consilium’s method may be faster.  With that one you swap from minimum fps to max, and if tearing goes away with synch, problem solved.

ha... haha... you assume I have friends... FeelsBadMan

4 minutes ago, Ren- said:

ha... haha... you assume I have friends... FeelsBadMan

?

6 hours ago, Consilium said:

It might be worth borrowing a mate's monitor which has V-Sync/G-Sync and turning that on to sync your FPS to the monitor's max frequency. If that doesn't solve the issue then you know it's related to your hardware, not the display.

^ this assumes that i have friends

Try reducing graphic settings and get as much fps ingame as possible, see if that improves it. Maybe you get small drops to 60fps or lower that cause this. 
Otherwise you could try , i think its called adaptive sync , in nvidia control panel. See if that works. 

On 5/26/2020 at 3:55 PM, Ren- said:

^ this assumes that i have friends

rip

• 3 weeks later...

Update: Turns out it was the Previous GPU was the issue, apparently i hadn't tried playing since the new one...
Sorry for wasting time.