My 3200 mhz memory only runs at 2133 mhz

So I recently swapped out the fans in my system: shouldn't have been too much of a problem, but it messed up a lot of stuff on my system. Wouldn't boot, CPU cooler wouldn't work so the CPU would go above 70°C at idle, hard drives weren't being seen in Windows once it would boot, CPU wouldn't run at the frequency that I set it at, etc. I managed to fix all of those problems except for one: my Patriot Viper 3200 sticks (four 4 gig sticks, for a total of 16, if it matters) won't run at 3200. I've tried enabling an A-XMP profile that's set at 3200, as well as manually setting it to 3200. It always defaults back to 2133.

I have a Ryzen 5 2600, an MSI Gaming Plus Max B450 board, and the aforementioned ram sticks. Any suggestions? I'll be glad to give any more information.

Edited by MyMachineSucks
Adding information

Simson970 had the a similar problem, I think it might be the ram because he also had Patriot Viper 3200 Memory. I'm guessing your not dumb but have you tried updating the bios?

Sounds quite a lot like a mounting pressure problem, causing bad contacts.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, GenPit said:

Simson970 had the a similar problem, I think it might be the ram because he also had Patriot Viper 3200 Memory. I'm guessing your not dumb but have you tried updating the bios?

I wouldn't think that would be the issue because it worked before I changed the fans out. Made no sense to me, but I could always give that a go. Can't hurt.

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Sounds quite a lot like a mounting pressure problem, causing bad contacts.

Mounting pressure as in a motherboard screw being too tight?

18 minutes ago, MyMachineSucks said:

Mounting pressure as in a motherboard screw being too tight?

Cooler screw, being too tight or too loose perhaps 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

10 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Cooler screw, being too tight or too loose perhaps 

And that could affect how fast my memory can clock? I mean, I've seen weirder things, but that's definitely weird.

Try running it at 2933.

Case: Thermaltake W100.CPU:  AMD Ryzen 9 7950x . CPU Cooler: Artic 420 aio. Motherboard: MSI Tomahawk B550. Memory: 32 gigs of DDR4 6000 G-Skill CL30.Graphics = XFX Merc 319 7900xtx. Main Drive = Sabrent Rocket Plus 4, m.2. Storage Drive = 8 tb Seagate Barracuda. PSU = Platinum 1300 watt. OS: Windows 10 Professional 64. Monitor: Samsung G, 2560x1440 @ 240hz. Sound System: Logitech Z-5300 5.1 (bought new by me in 2003). Mouse: Razr. Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Blue led. Printer: HP Envy 5660.Desk: 96” x 30” butcher block on rusted and clear-coated 2”x2” legs, built by owner.

3 minutes ago, Kwikgta said:

Try running it at 2933.

I tried running it at 2400 and 2933 last night. Defaulted back to 2133. I'll give it another go in around 20 minutes, when I get home 

1 minute ago, MyMachineSucks said:

I tried running it at 2400 and 2933 last night. Defaulted back to 2133. I'll give it another go in around 20 minutes, when I get home 

Ok. Also want to mention that Ryzen tends to do better with 2 sticks than four due to the memory controller. I'm running two 8 gig DDR4 3600 sticks @ 3800 with 14-16-16-36 timings.

Case: Thermaltake W100.CPU:  AMD Ryzen 9 7950x . CPU Cooler: Artic 420 aio. Motherboard: MSI Tomahawk B550. Memory: 32 gigs of DDR4 6000 G-Skill CL30.Graphics = XFX Merc 319 7900xtx. Main Drive = Sabrent Rocket Plus 4, m.2. Storage Drive = 8 tb Seagate Barracuda. PSU = Platinum 1300 watt. OS: Windows 10 Professional 64. Monitor: Samsung G, 2560x1440 @ 240hz. Sound System: Logitech Z-5300 5.1 (bought new by me in 2003). Mouse: Razr. Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Blue led. Printer: HP Envy 5660.Desk: 96” x 30” butcher block on rusted and clear-coated 2”x2” legs, built by owner.

Just now, Kwikgta said:

Ok. Also want to mention that Ryzen tends to do better with 2 sticks than four due to the memory controller. I'm running two 8 gig DDR4 3600 sticks @ 3800 with 14-16-16-36 timings.

Yeah, I wasn't having issues before when I was running 8 gigs in a 2x4 configuration. Ran at 3200, with no issues. I think I'm going to take 8 gigs out and see if it'll run at 3200 with only two sticks in, and see what happens. I'll update it here once I see what happens.

12 minutes ago, MyMachineSucks said:

When you set the A-XMP profile does the DRAM voltage go up too? If not you may need to set that to 1.35/1.4v. Also is your BIOS up to date?

10 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

When you set the A-XMP profile does the DRAM voltage go up too? If not you may need to set that to 1.35/1.4v. Also is your BIOS up to date?

I was manually setting it to 1.4. Nothing.

I tried two things:

-Setting an XMP profile to be at 3200. That didn't work. I'll double check the voltage on the profile.

-Manually setting the DRAM frequency to 3200 and the voltage to 1.4 Volts. Nothing.

Hi. Just to give a follow up I'm having the same problems with my G-Skill Trident Z 4x8 32gb 3200mhz Ram.

I took out 2 of the rams and turns out it works on a 2x8 3200 XMP Profile 1 no sweat, but not on a 4x8.So @Kwikgta is probably right that Ryzen does better with 2 sticks.

15 minutes ago, zfBroken414 said:

Hi. Just to give a follow up I'm having the same problems with my G-Skill Trident Z 4x8 32gb 3200mhz Ram.

I took out 2 of the rams and turns out it works on a 2x8 3200 XMP Profile 1 no sweat, but not on a 4x8.So @Kwikgta is probably right that Ryzen does better with 2 sticks.

I'd still rather I get to use all 4 of my sticks at the advertised speed.

1 hour ago, schwellmo92 said:

Looks like the voltage does go up too. I'm going to try 2 sticks right now. If they both run at 3200, I'll try 3 sticks. Then 4. Maybe adding sticks like that could help me narrow it down.

Zen+ doesn't like to run 4 Dimms. 

Should have gotten 2x8 sticks instead.

You'll try 2666mhz then maybe? Tighten up maybe CL 14?

additional comment:

Then also if it is running an odd number Cas at w/e frequency you set, 2400 ect, you need to be sure CL 15 is running with "Gear Down Mode" disabled. 

Edited by ShrimpBrime
additional comment:

7 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Zen+ doesn't like to run 4 Dimms. 

Should have gotten 2x8 sticks instead.

You'll try 2666mhz then maybe? Tighten up maybe CL 14?

Well that's not really an option for me right now, and I didn't spend $40 on dimms that I won't use, so I'm going to see what I can do. I can try tightening timings and going progressively up in speed.

Okay, I tried 2x4 sticks, at 3200 CL14 and 16. Neither setting works now, despite 3200 CL16 working just fine before. I'm going to try 2933 CL16 and 14 to see what'll happen.

Edit: 2933 CL16 works. I'm going to try 3066 CL16

3066 CL16 works, as does 3200. I'm going to try the same run with 3 sticks now.

4 minutes ago, MyMachineSucks said:

Okay, I tried 2x4 sticks, at 3200 CL14 and 16. Neither setting works now, despite 3200 CL16 working just fine before. I'm going to try 2933 CL16 and 14 to see what'll happen.

Edit: 2933 CL16 works. I'm going to try 3066 CL16

3066 CL16 works, as does 3200. I'm going to try the same run with 3 sticks now.

3 sticks will force singel channel mode. Don't bother.

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

3 sticks will force singel channel mode. Don't bother.

I figured but I'm going to jump straight to 3200 because of that.

Yup. 3200 with 3 sticks works.

Actually... Rebooted into BIOS with 3 sticks and it went back to 2133, as well as the CPU being around 300 MHz lower. Reset it back to 3.8 on the CPU and 3200 on the ram, and checking now

1 minute ago, MyMachineSucks said:

I figured but I'm going to jump straight to 3200 because of that.

Yup. 3200 with 3 sticks works.

And 4 sticks no go..... ?

3 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Rebooted into BIOS with 3 sticks and it went back to 2133, as well as the CPU being around 300 MHz lower. Reset it back to 3.8 on the CPU and 3200 on the ram, and checking now

Copy/pasted my edit

3 sticks went back to 3200 just fine. Trying 4 now.

12 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

With all 4 sticks set at 3200, the computer will try to turn on 5 times, which is how many times I have it set to where it'll try the new settings. If it doesn't work after 5 tries, it goes back to the old settings. It's the 4th stick that's causing it to not be able to hit 3200. Trying all 4 at 2666. That works, and so does 2800. 3066 is where the computer starts to do the 5 boot cycle thing I mentioned, and it went back to 2133.

What's also interesting is that I have 4 LEDs for debug: CPU, DRAM, VGA, and BOOT. Because the issue that the ram is what we're dealing with, I'd expect the DRAM light to turn on, but the CPU light is the one that's on before it shuts off.

12 minutes ago, MyMachineSucks said:

Rebooted into BIOS with 3 sticks and it went back to 2133, as well as the CPU being around 300 MHz lower. Reset it back to 3.8 on the CPU and 3200 on the ram, and checking now

Copy/pasted my edit

I'd shut it down. Put all 4 in. 

Give cmos a good 30 second clearing via pin jumpers.

Then try the OC again, but start at much lower frequency. 

Would enable XMP, but drop frequency manually to 2933mhz (you say is not good right??)

So then you find and alter these settings.

2933mhz

XMP enabled. 16-18-18-18

memory voltage 1.410v (can try as high as 1.45v with good case flow)

Gear Down Mode - Disable it

Power Down Mode - Disable it

CPU SOC voltage 1.1250v

If this posts, work your way up the frequency incrementally, IE: 3000mhz, 3133mhz, 3200mhz ect. Perhaps some extra voltage will kick the IMC in the nuts hard enough to agree with this, often times the memory voltage increase helps, but that depends if they scale at all. If 1.45v won't do 3200mhz all 4 sticks, you're going to be stuck finding a lower frequency, or running just 2 sticks.

I understand you want to run the sticks, you spent the money, but you're doing the research and learning after the purchase. Next time might be best to inquire instead of trying to be cheap, you've got about 100$ worth of memory there with 4 sticks, could have spent that on just 2 and had better experience. 

But again...... 3200mhz is a heavy OC on the memory controller that supports 2933mhz 16gb on 2 sticks of memory. 

GL!

3 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I'd shut it down. Put all 4 in. 

Give cmos a good 30 second clearing via pin jumpers.

Then try the OC again, but start at much lower frequency. 

Would enable XMP, but drop frequency manually to 2933mhz (you say is not good right??)

So then you find and alter these settings.

2933mhz

XMP enabled. 16-18-18-18

memory voltage 1.410v (can try as high as 1.45v with good case flow)

Gear Down Mode - Disable it

Power Down Mode - Disable it

CPU SOC voltage 1.1250v

If this posts, work your way up the frequency incrementally, IE: 3000mhz, 3133mhz, 3200mhz ect. Perhaps some extra voltage will kick the IMC in the nuts hard enough to agree with this, often times the memory voltage increase helps, but that depends if they scale at all. If 1.45v won't do 3200mhz all 4 sticks, you're going to be stuck finding a lower frequency, or running just 2 sticks.

I understand you want to run the sticks, you spent the money, but you're doing the research and learning after the purchase. Next time might be best to inquire instead of trying to be cheap, you've got about 100$ worth of memory there with 4 sticks, could have spent that on just 2 and had better experience. 

But again...... 3200mhz is a heavy OC on the memory controller that supports 2933mhz 16gb on 2 sticks of memory. 

GL!

I did do a CMOS clear with the jumpers last night and tried changing some stuff, and that didn't change anything. I think 3000 is just the max of what this board can handle with 4 sticks, which I'm okay with. I was getting 3000 just fine, so I'm giving 3066 with a 1.45 voltage a go. 

Edit: 3066 wouldn't work, so I'm going to just run it at 3000. Better than 2133, and at least it's in the realm of 3200, so I'm willing to sacrifice 200 MHz for the full 8 gigs extra.

4 minutes ago, MyMachineSucks said:

I did do a CMOS clear with the jumpers last night and tried changing some stuff, and that didn't change anything. I think 3000 is just the max of what this board can handle with 4 sticks, which I'm okay with. I was getting 3000 just fine, so I'm giving 3066 with a 1.45 voltage a go. 

Edit: 3066 wouldn't work, so I'm going to just run it at 3000. Better than 2133, and at least it's in the realm of 3200, so I'm willing to sacrifice 200 MHz for the full 8 gigs extra.

Yea that's about how it works unfortunately. 

Otherwise, the badass kit I have 16gb 8x2 G.Skill B-Die 3600mhz 16-16-16-16 is only 130$ new right now.