[ XMP ] Black screen, no POST

Hey all,

I seem to be out of luck with any attempt with an XMP overclock and I'd like to talk about a solution.

The Problem

For any attempted XMP overclock, my PC will sustain power (including all lighting, fans (default to full RPM), and the water pump) but it will not POST. It will hang with a black screen. Attempts to reboot warm will give the same result, while cold reboot achieves POST with the option for F1 Setup to BIOS. Please also note: A stable non-XMP CPU overclock past 5.0 GHz can be achieved.

Specs

Motherboard: Asus Prime Z270-AR

CPU: i7-7700K (stock settings for XMP testing, Voltage at AUTO, stock Multiplier)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 4x8GB 3200 MHz

Previous XMP Attempts

CPU:
    - I've kept the CPU at stock settings for the XMP profile.

RAM (with stock timings ) :

- 3200MHz / @3.502 Volts

- 3200MHz / @Auto Voltage

- 3000MHz / @3.502 Volts

- 3000MHz / @Auto Voltage

Please let me know what you think! If you have a solution, questions, or suggestions, fire away! I will provide more information upon request (I wasn't sure what else is needed).
Thanks as always!

solution would be don't use XMP.

i had a similar issue but was getting BSODs, disabled XMP and have had 0 issues since doing it.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Make sure all the mem timings are set according to the profile. Set them manually if not.

1 minute ago, Arika S said:

solution would be don't use XMP.

i had a similar issue but was getting BSODs, disabled XMP and have had 0 issues since doing it.

As true as this is, I'm hard pressed to just leave a full 1.067 GHz on the table.

3 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

Make sure all the mem timings are set according to the profile. Set them manually if not.

I'll try this out right away!

21 minutes ago, TRITIUMNITR0X said:

I'll try this out right away!

I had a similar issue with my 4133mhz from G.skill when I enable the xmp in the bios, I had to underclock my memory to 4000mhz to get it working, so I would suggest to set the memory timings/speed manually first and if that doesn't solve ur issue, you can try underclokcing ur ram to 3100mhz instead and try again, 

hope this helps, keep me updated !

I have an update! The XMP profile finally worked.

After trying different settings / clearing CMOS over and over, it seems that flashing the BIOS opened a new avenue to allow the system to XMP more recent memory. In addition to the memory, I was also able to overclock the CPU to 5.0GHz and overclock both 1080Ti's in SLI, achieving a +25 FPS gain in Heaven Benchmark after all things were said and done.

As an addendum, I should note that both before and after the BIOS flash, I was completely unable to manually overclock the memory, even with the recommended speed, timings and voltage given by the XMP profile. I suppose the XMP profiles contain much more intricate settings than previously assumed.

I'd definitely consider this a success. Thanks @Super panda @aDoomGuy @Arika S for the help!