Ryzen 3900x not boosting

Hello,

I recently upgraded my Ryzen 7 1700x to a Ryzen 9 3900x but have been seeing problems with my boost clock. I am using an Asus Prime x370 Pro mobo on latest bios and the max frequency my cpu will hit is about 4.2Ghz even though it says it will reach 4.6Ghz. I have read that the motherboards VRM may have something too do with it however I am not sure. Basically, is there a bios setting I can change or do I need to upgrade to a new mobo to see full boosts. btw, I am using the included cooler that came with it.

Thanks!

4.6ghz is idle with single core boosts. 

best thing to do is be sure chipset drivers are installed and update the bios. Chipset drivers first.

12 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

4.6ghz is idle with single core boosts. 

best thing to do is be sure chipset drivers are installed and update the bios. Chipset drivers first.

Thanks! I just updated that and its getting close to 4.3 now but still cant hit the max on single threaded benchmark. Am i just misunderstanding something or is that right? *EDIT: I am using task manager to get speed.

2 minutes ago, That_Random_Nerd said:

Thanks! I just updated that and its getting close to 4.3 now but still cant hit the max on single threaded benchmark. Am i just misunderstanding something or is that right? *EDIT: I am using task manager to get speed.

Task manager is an average.  Get yourself the good stuff . . . get yourself some HWiNFO.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

4 minutes ago, nick name said:

Task manager is an average.  Get yourself the good stuff . . . get yourself some HWiNFO.  

Thank you so much! between using HWinfo and updating chipset, seeing it hit advertised single core performance! Now I just gotta get ram oc'd to the rated 3200Mhz instead of its current 2133MHz

4 minutes ago, That_Random_Nerd said:

Thank you so much! between using HWinfo and updating chipset, seeing it hit advertised single core performance! Now I just gotta get ram oc'd to the rated 3200Mhz instead of its current 2133MHz

No problem.  Come check back with any other questions.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

13 minutes ago, That_Random_Nerd said:

Are you running those single thread benches with SMT on or off? Try turning it off. I don't get boost at all during single thread because it appears to split the load between two threads... I figure with SMT off this wont happen.

Just now, aDoomGuy said:

Are you running those single thread benches with SMT on or off? Try turning it off. I don't get boost at all during single thread because it appears to split the load between two threads... I figure with SMT off this wont happen.

I was just running in CPUZ, not sure what SMT is. My knowledge of computers is much more in coding side of things.

2 minutes ago, That_Random_Nerd said:

I was just running in CPUZ, not sure what SMT is. My knowledge of computers is much more in coding side of things.

Simultaneous Multi Threading. You have 12 processing cores in your CPU but SMT effectively turn them into 24. Disable in BIOS.

1 minute ago, That_Random_Nerd said:

You don't need to disable SMT (Hyper threading).   

1 minute ago, aDoomGuy said:

Simultaneous Multi Threading. You have 12 processing cores in your CPU but SMT effectively turn them into 24. Disable in BIOS.

Do I want this disable just for benchmarking / stress testing or do i want this disabled on the time for gaming/coding/video editing

Just now, That_Random_Nerd said:

Do I want this disable just for benchmarking / stress testing or do i want this disabled on the time for gaming/coding/video editing

I've heard for gaming it may be beneficial to turn off but I dunno. Just try to run your benchmark and see if there is a difference and then enable it again. I was gonna try this but couldn't be bothered. Most demanding real world applications these days take advantage of SMT.

Just now, aDoomGuy said:

I've heard for gaming it may be beneficial to turn off but I dunno. Just try to run your benchmark and see if there is a difference and then enable it again. I was gonna try this but couldn't be bothered. Most demanding real world applications these days take advantage of SMT.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, That_Random_Nerd said:

You don't want to disable it.  It can't be done without a reboot so the small gains you might find in some games will eventually reveal that disabling it isn't worth the hassle.  

1 hour ago, aDoomGuy said:

Then why would you make the recommendation to begin with?  Don't try to help with things you don't understand.  And I don't mean that to be rude -- it just isn't something that ends up being useful, helpful, or productive to anyone involved.  

SMT disabled only improves per core IPC by a couple percent and lowers temps just a tad.

When disable HT on Intel, there are greater gains in per core IPC because it runs different than AMD's SMT. (In short) And lowers temps nicely.

7 hours ago, nick name said:

Then why would you make the recommendation to begin with?  Don't try to help with things you don't understand.  And I don't mean that to be rude -- it just isn't something that ends up being useful, helpful, or productive to anyone involved.  

Read what I said again, I asked him to try it. I didn't recommend him to run his PC with it disabled, did I? 

I don't think the stock cooler can do any real crazy overclocking. You might need a better cooler for that. 

Also I just read that your MOBO is a 300 series. You may need a new one as well. From what I have heard is you need a pretty good board for the R9 cpu's. A 300 series board probably isn't enough. 

4 hours ago, aDoomGuy said:

Read what I said again, I asked him to try it. I didn't recommend him to run his PC with it disabled, did I? 

It wasn't my place to say anything to begin with.  My apologies.