Upgrading an obsolete PC.

Go to solution Solved by fordy_rounds,

Not only is it going to be very very slow (I'm running an Athlon II x2, which is later than this, and it's crap—most of the games in my small Steam library won't run, though that's also partially because I don't have a decent GPU), but it might not even support the instruction sets that newer software might need. There have been a lot of amd64 extensions created since that CPU was made. Not all software uses them, but any software that does may well not work properly, or might not be as fast as it should be, not just because the CPU is so slow but because of having to do things with slower methods.

I hope that makes sense.

I'd scrap it or sell it. (That being said, anyone interested in buying an Athlon II x2 220 system? J/k, I'm not quite ready to sell that pos yet.)

I have  a hp compaq i got in 2007, its  an athlon 64 x2. now i moved way past that and upgraded to a ryzen 5 2600 and decent rx 580 gpu with an 8gb stick of ram. i am undecided on what i should do with the hp compaq now that i have my computer. i was thinking on upgrading to to have playable performance on simple games like csgo and dota by uprading its ddr2 memory up to 8gb which is its maximum and adding a gpu that doesnt require external psu power since the hp compaq has a specialized psu and mother board that cant be removed from the case and therefore unupgradable. should i go through with this? considering how cheap ddr2 memory is and comparing it to my 8 gig ryzen pc. i believe these games can be playable.  give me advice my comrades.

i wanna give the hp compaq to my cousin since because he is alone in quarantine and this could be his only source of fun.

Not really worth maybe as a media center for the living room with a cheap used passiv gpu but for gaming that cpu is not really useable anymore (except retro games maybe) 

Uh, no. I wouldn't bother. Let it go.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

i only wanted to upgrade the hp compaq to dota 2 and csgo minimum requirements. would i be better off making an entry level pc? i very liquid right now and i dont have enough money to build an entirely new pc. cheap ddr2 memory is probably the only reason why wanna upgrade this hp compaq

Just now, ninjasensei said:

i only wanted to upgrade the hp compaq to dota 2 and csgo minimum requirements. would i be better off making an entry level pc? i very liquid right now and i dont have enough money to build an entirely new pc. cheap ddr2 memory is probably the only reason why wanna upgrade this hp compaq

The cpu is dogshit sry for that Word but its true ^^ Newer Versions of csgo will stutter and dota 2 needs a bit of cpu power aswell the 2 cores of your compac are as fast as 1 modern core 

I'd package the processor and gpu (if has one) and send it to Shrimpy. The rest is trash. (Kidding)

its okay. it really is dog shit and overclocking is out of the question. it goes hot even on idle and you cant even switch coolers because of the form factor.  maybe im just too sentimental as this computer has served me well during its time.

D

4 minutes ago, ninjasensei said:

Don't. Not worth the money you spend on it. If you're gonna upgrade it, get the entire line: mainboard, CPU, RAM and GPU, maybe the PSU if it's underrated for the power usage. Costs a bit more, makes the machine much better responsive.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

1 minute ago, ninjasensei said:

its okay. it really is dog shit and overclocking is out of the question. it goes hot even on idle and you cant even switch coolers because of the form factor. 

OK then we can seriously send it to Shrimpy and he'll benchmark the crap out of it after a proper de-lidding. Gpu too.

Not only is it going to be very very slow (I'm running an Athlon II x2, which is later than this, and it's crap—most of the games in my small Steam library won't run, though that's also partially because I don't have a decent GPU), but it might not even support the instruction sets that newer software might need. There have been a lot of amd64 extensions created since that CPU was made. Not all software uses them, but any software that does may well not work properly, or might not be as fast as it should be, not just because the CPU is so slow but because of having to do things with slower methods.

I hope that makes sense.

I'd scrap it or sell it. (That being said, anyone interested in buying an Athlon II x2 220 system? J/k, I'm not quite ready to sell that pos yet.)

Edited by fordy_rounds
"might be as fast" should have been "might not be as fast"

i totally agree, this pc is too far gone and its time to put it to rest. i thought really thought adding more ram and a GPU could make a difference and prolong its usefulness.