No Post / Display (READ)

Freejay
Go to solution Solved by Freejay,

UPDATE :))))

I took out cmos battery, switched to displayport, cleaned all dust from Graphics card + eraser on pins, Used both sticks of ram (cleaned w eraser as well) and booted successfully to the UEFI screen after waiting around 5 secs. idk which one was the actual issue but in the event someone stumbles upon this in the future definitely try this. Thanks everyone for the help!

**Sorry in advance if someone has already posted this particular issue but I couldn’t find a search feature on mobile and the megathread was no help.

Hello all:

I just built a fresh PC, Ryzen 2600 + Rx 570 on ASrock B450m Hdv R4.0 board and EVGA 450 BR PSU and cant get it to display for the life of me. With GPU in, I get no display, no beeps. No GPU, I still get no display, but this time 5 beeps. Ive reseated my cpu, removed RAM, verified PSU is functioning and still nothing. Was really excited for this build and now I’m losing hope. 

Any fixes? Discord pointed me to here.

Running no GPU with this system will not be possible since the 2600 does not have an integrated GPU. As for why the PC doesn't give a display signal when the GPU is installed is very strange...

Just to make sure:

Have you checked all the connections on the motherboard (CPU power and 24 pin connector) and GPU that they are seated properly?

When just having power connected to the system is there any LEDs that light up?

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hey, your Ryzen 2600 doesn't have onboard graphics so that's not gonna give you video without the GPU installed. But I don't think either of those is where the problem is coming from. Your CPU and GPU combined are rated at about 820Watts in use, so probably ~575Watts at idle. Your PSU is only able to give them 450Watts at max load. So, I'd start there.

-pp

1 minute ago, Propanepapi said:

Your CPU and GPU combined are rated at about 820Watts in use, so probably ~575Watts at idle.

The Ryzen 2600 has a TDP of 65W and the RX 570 has a TDP of 120W. I dont know where you got those numbers... When the system is idle the components will use a fraction of their rated TDP.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

42 minutes ago, Uptivuptiz said:

-snip-

TDP is basically the point of wattage draw at which the chip is at it's "hottest". It is not how much wattage the chip draws.

As for the numbers out there, I'm seeing them kind of different all over the place. The original numbers I posted were from a test bench system's overall watt usage at load.

So, the ones I posted were wrong!

However, I am seeing about an average of 150Watts at load on the CPU and 225W at load on the GPU. That's still 375Watts on just 2 components. I take that 150Watts away from the 370Watts I found for the CPU before and you're left with 220Watts for the test bench usage.

That's still 595Watts at load on a 450Watt PSU. And when a system first boots, it tends to run everything at max power until the BIOS loads and stabilizes everything.

-pp

1 minute ago, Freejay said:

-snip-

Nah you don't have to worry about that guy. That's an old floppy drive power cable.

I just sent another post in, I think it's the PSU under powering the system by 145Watts now.

-pp

Also PcPartPicker told me the PSU would be able to support the system. If this isnt the case, what wattage PSU should I be aiming for?

PCpartPicker list

12 minutes ago, Freejay said:

-snip-

I would shoot for 650Watts. Just get one with a good return policy and try it.

-pp

I really want to have this PC as fast as possible and the fastes PS I can get shipped is a 600w. Would 600 still work?

1 hour ago, Propanepapi said:

However, I am seeing about an average of 150Watts at load on the CPU and 225W at load on the GPU. That's still 375Watts on just 2 components. I take that 150Watts away from the 370Watts I found for the CPU before and you're left with 220Watts for the test bench usage.

Can you link to a site that displays these numbers?

Look at this article from Anandtech. The powerdraw of the 2600 is only 78W under full CPU load.

Power (Package), Full Load

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 hour ago, Freejay said:

I really want to have this PC as fast as possible and the fastes PS I can get shipped is a 600w. Would 600 still work?

I think there has been some misinformation here. The power supply that you already have is fine for the system that you have built. There is no way it can draw 595W even at full load.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 hour ago, Freejay said:

As @Uptivuptiz said, your PSU wattage is fine, I would be surprised if your build went over 300w at load.

I would advise ignoring @Propanepapi 

For your issue, only install 1 stick of RAM, the GPU and that's it (do this outside of the case, without the HDD).

What did you try aside from removing the GPU?

Edited by wkdpaul

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

4 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

As @Uptivuptiz said, your PSU wattage is fine, I would be surprised if your build went over 300w at load.

I would advise ignoring @Propanepapi 

I assume you wanted the cpu installed as well, which still gave me no beeps but fans spinning.

EDIT: Removed CPU + fan  and unplugged cpu connector from mobo. no spins no beeps.

6 hours ago, Propanepapi said:

TDP is basically the point of wattage draw at which the chip is at it's "hottest". It is not how much wattage the chip draws.

As for the numbers out there, I'm seeing them kind of different all over the place. The original numbers I posted were from a test bench system's overall watt usage at load.

So, the ones I posted were wrong!

That's still 595Watts at load on a 450Watt PSU. And when a system first boots, it tends to run everything at max power until the BIOS loads and stabilizes everything.

-pp

no LOL, his psu is adequate for the build. at the very least, it would post. 595w...................................

58 minutes ago, Freejay said:

I assume you wanted the cpu installed as well, which still gave me no beeps but fans spinning.

EDIT: Removed CPU + fan  and unplugged cpu connector from mobo. no spins no beeps.

No, you need the CPU to post.

What I meant was install the minimum : CPU, 1 stick of RAM and the GPU.

Reset the CMOS and try again.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

UPDATE :))))

I took out cmos battery, switched to displayport, cleaned all dust from Graphics card + eraser on pins, Used both sticks of ram (cleaned w eraser as well) and booted successfully to the UEFI screen after waiting around 5 secs. idk which one was the actual issue but in the event someone stumbles upon this in the future definitely try this. Thanks everyone for the help!