R5 3600 OC with stock cooler?

Hi everyone, I was wondering what kind of an overclock I could get on my Ryzen 5 3600 with the included wraith stealth cooler? Obviously, I know it won't be much at all, so my second question is, would it even be worth OCing with the stock cooler? what kind of performance increase can I expect to see? Any and all advice is appreciated, thank you.

To answer your question, it's not worth OCing Ryzen in general. What are you using this for?

OCing Ryzen is finicky and doesn't have a lot of headroom, and without the appropriate research you can/will damage the silicone in your CPU.

As far as cooling, stock coolers aren't recommended for ANY OCs. You'll need to invest in an aftermarket cooler.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

Not only is it finicky but there just isn’t much to be had to begin with even for experts.  Some find a bit more than others if they happen to have a golden chip that runs unusually cool and stable.  It’s still not much though.

Ryzen2 self over locks automatically in a microsecond fast dynamic fashion.  Most CPUs do these days. That’s what “boost” is all about.  Once upon a time one could get an up to 40% performance boost out of overclock.  These days it’s at best a quarter of that. Usually less.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Statik said:

To answer your question, it's not worth OCing Ryzen in general. What are you using this for?

OCing Ryzen is finicky and doesn't have a lot of headroom, and without the appropriate research you can/will damage the silicone in your CPU.

As far as cooling, stock coolers aren't recommended for ANY OCs. You'll need to invest in an aftermarket cooler.

This build is primarily for gaming, though I do use some photoshop occasionally. I definitely plan on upgrading my cooler further down the line but with the pandemic causing stock/pricing issues I've decided to wait until things calm down. Also, if relevant at all I'm using an X570 mobo.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Not only is it finicky but there just isn’t much to be had to begin with even for experts.  Some find a bit more than others if they happen to have a golden chip that runs unusually cool and stable.  It’s still not much though.

Ryzen2 self over locks automatically in a microsecond fast dynamic fashion.  Most CPUs do these days. That’s what “boost” is all about.  Once upon a time one could get an up to 40% performance boost out of overclock.  These days it’s at best a quarter of that. Usually less.

So what I'm hearing is don't bother trying until I have the cooling power to actually push it. Correct?

1 minute ago, RGBisKey said:

This build is primarily for gaming, though I do use some photoshop occasionally. I definitely plan on upgrading my cooler further down the line but with the pandemic causing stock/pricing issues I've decided to wait until things calm down. Also, if relevant at all I'm using an X570 mobo.

Not really.  A bigger cooler might make your cpu run ever so slightly faster all by itself, but a lot depends on the silicon lottery and how you did with that.  A bigger cooler might help or it might not help at all.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, RGBisKey said:

Do some research on OCing Ryzen 3000. It's generally not recommended, especially for gaming. It's also likely you'll actually lose performance while gaming with an all core OC.

Just now, RGBisKey said:

So what I'm hearing is don't bother trying until I have the cooling power to actually push it. Correct?

What you should be hearing is just don't do it. You're highly unlikely to get any performance gain over stock before you hit your voltage "limit", and without the proper knowledge and research before hand, which you haven't seemed to do, you can degrade the silicone in your chip and ruin it, every chip has a max safe voltage that you have to find yourself, etc, etc.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

4 minutes ago, RGBisKey said:

Partially.  It’s more like “don’t try” it’s dangerous for your machine and there isn’t much gain to be had even if you don’t break it.  Risk/reward for overclock is way way down from 15, 10, or even 5 years ago across all platforms, but it’s particularly hard on ryzen.  The 1600 overclocks ok, the 2600 does it less well, the 3600 barely does it at all.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

Not really.  A bigger cooler might make your cpu run ever so slightly faster all by itself, but a lot depends on the silicon lottery and how you did with that.  A bigger cooler might help or it might not help at all.

Gotcha. I definitely don't want to harm my cpu by trying to get some extra fps/performance

Just now, Bombastinator said:

Partially.  It’s more like “don’t try” it’s dangerous for your machine and there isn’t much gain to be had even if you don’t break it.  Risk/reward for overclock is way way down from 15, 10, or even 5 years ago.  The 1600 overclocks ok, the 2600 does it less well, the 3600 barely does it at all.

Okay I understand more now. As the cpus get better they almost tune in the overclock themselves in the form of boost

3 minutes ago, Statik said:

Do some research on OCing Ryzen 3000. It's generally not recommended, especially for gaming. It's also likely you'll actually lose performance while gaming with an all core OC.

What you should be hearing is just don't do it. You're highly unlikely to get any performance gain over stock before you hit your voltage "limit", and without the proper knowledge and research before hand, which you haven't seemed to do, you can degrade the silicone in your chip and ruin it, every chip has a max safe voltage that you have to find yourself, etc, etc.

Yeah after this I highly doubt I'll be attempting to overclock even after I upgrade my cooler. I'm brand new to CPU overclocking as this chip is the first I've ever had that is capable of it. I'm glad I asked before I just tried it. Thank you for you help

18 minutes ago, RGBisKey said:

Hi everyone, I was wondering what kind of an overclock I could get on my Ryzen 5 3600 with the included wraith stealth cooler? Obviously, I know it won't be much at all, so my second question is, would it even be worth OCing with the stock cooler? what kind of performance increase can I expect to see? Any and all advice is appreciated, thank you.

> Stress your system and monitor temps. Every piece of silicon is different. If you have the thermal headroom, see if you're hitting power limits. If so, then consider increasing those. Only after that, consider a manual overclock.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

Just now, RGBisKey said:

Okay I understand more now. As the cpus get better they almost tune in the overclock themselves in the form of boost

Correct.  It’s not as far reaching as a full overclock generally.  Most often lately the most one can do is enable “all core boost” which is less power efficient and creates more heat than individual core boosts, but sometimes produces more gains than the individual core boost that modern chips do by themselves.  

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Correct.  It’s not as far reaching as a full overclock generally.  Most often lately the most one can do is enable “all core boost” which is less power efficient and creates more heat than individual core boosts, but sometimes produces more gains than the individual core boost that modern chips do by themselves.  

Thank you for all you help. You possibly saved me from something disastrous