Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BSOD (thread stuck in device driver)

Hi,

I keep getting random BSOD on my computer. Currently using Ryzen 5 3400G for  graphics, 16gb RAM, 1SSD (boot), 1 HDD(everything else), 500W PSU.

Happens while gaming: Modded Minecraft, unmodded Hearts of Iron IV, Plague Inc, among others. 

Happens while Streaming to Twitch

Happens while watching Youtube, or other streaming  services (even once in the native Netflix Windows App).

I have done a fully clean install of Windows, and reinstalled all software since this started happening, hoping that would  do the  trick  (it didn't), 

I have done a clean install of the integrated graphics driver from AMD (both the most recent update, and the previous one, which is listed as "recommended")

I have updated the BIOS on the mobo.

Temps are all seemingly within what you would expect both immediately after a BSOD, and seemingly before, in the 35-40C range. 

The only thing that gives me any clue that it is about to happen, is that suddenly, only maybe 10 seconds before it BSODs, the computer will become extremely sluggish (more noticeable in games)

Please help me figure this out, I have ordered a dedicated graphics card that will be arriving tomorrow, but I have a suspicion that it may not fix the issue. 

What it the bsod code that it gives

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, TJtravel said:

Hi,

I keep getting random BSOD on my computer. Currently using Ryzen 5 3400G for  graphics, 16gb RAM, 1SSD (boot), 1 HDD(everything else), 500W PSU.

Happens while gaming: Modded Minecraft, unmodded Hearts of Iron IV, Plague Inc, among others. 

Happens while Streaming to Twitch

Happens while watching Youtube, or other streaming  services (even once in the native Netflix Windows App).

I have done a fully clean install of Windows, and reinstalled all software since this started happening, hoping that would  do the  trick  (it didn't), 

I have done a clean install of the integrated graphics driver from AMD (both the most recent update, and the previous one, which is listed as "recommended")

I have updated the BIOS on the mobo.

Temps are all seemingly within what you would expect both immediately after a BSOD, and seemingly before, in the 35-40C range. 

The only thing that gives me any clue that it is about to happen, is that suddenly, only maybe 10 seconds before it BSODs, the computer will become extremely sluggish (more noticeable in games)

Please help me figure this out, I have ordered a dedicated graphics card that will be arriving tomorrow, but I have a suspicion that it may not fix the issue. 

🤔 Have you tried running the 'SFC /scannow' command for any corrupted system files in your command prompt window? 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

13 minutes ago, TheTechWizardThatNeedsHelp said:

What it the bsod code that it gives

THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER

8 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

Have you tried running the 'SFC /scannow' command for any corrupted system files in your command prompt window? 

I have tried that a few times, Though I guess I could give it another go

2 minutes ago, TJtravel said:

On Microsoft, it says that it points at bad graphics driver or card, so that could point at a bad cpu, either the integrated gpu it the whole chip

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, TheTechWizardThatNeedsHelp said:

On Microsoft, it says that it points at bad graphics driver or card, so that could point at a bad cpu, either the integrated gpu it the whole chip

Well, I guess i'll try it out with my new GPU that is arriving tomorrow and if it still fails, I may have to RMA the CPU/GPU chip?

ye try the new gpu, and if it falls RMA the cpu

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, TheTechWizardThatNeedsHelp said:

ye try the new gpu, and if it falls RMA the cpu

I would think that should resolve it. I am curious if there is anything I could do to help prove it would be the CPU (it is still under warranty from the system builder), just to help move the process along a bit?

17 minutes ago, TJtravel said:

I have tried that a few times, Though I guess I could give it another go

Ok well, as TechWizard said, the GPU or CPU itself might be fucked, so you might have to replace it. How long have you had this computer? 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

yeah. Give them this https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/bug-check-0xea--thread-stuck-in-device-driver. Make sure they know that the problem points to a graphics failure, which means the cpu, cuz of a lack of a dedicated card. Then if the problem is fixed with the dedicated card tell them that

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

18 hours ago, BlackManINC said:

Ok well, as TechWizard said, the GPU or CPU itself might be fucked, so you might have to replace it. How long have you had this computer? 

Computer was delivered late August... 

18 hours ago, TheTechWizardThatNeedsHelp said:

Make sure they know that the problem points to a graphics failure, which means the cpu, cuz of a lack of a dedicated card. Then if the problem is fixed with the dedicated card tell them that

Thanks...

Also, just a random shot in the dark... but could it be because i'm using a VGA cable for one of my two monitors? the m/b has HDMI, DVI, and VGA outputs, and my DVI cable died, so I switched to an old VGA cable (I am planning on using DisplayPort with the new graphics card). Could a fault in the VGA port possibly be causing an issue?

No I don't think so, but my knowledge here is limited. I do know that a VGA or DVI-A cable has to be plugged in preturning on the pc, so check with a new cable if you can.

P.S. sorry for slow response

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

• 6 months later...

Hey!

I had this problem for 2 weeks and finally somehow I fixed it. So for me, the problem wasn't broken GPU or issues with the hardware, the problem was the BIOS driver. I guess you have an AsRock motherboard if so, then downgrade your BIOS drives. I had 3.70 version and I downgraded to 3.30, and the error is completely gone.

Hope this will help someone :)

• 2 months later...

On 12/9/2020 at 3:46 PM, your_money said:

Hey!

I had this problem for 2 weeks and finally somehow I fixed it. So for me, the problem wasn't broken GPU or issues with the hardware, the problem was the BIOS driver. I guess you have an AsRock motherboard if so, then downgrade your BIOS drives. I had 3.70 version and I downgraded to 3.30, and the error is completely gone.

Hope this will help someone 🙂

Downgrading the bios of my motherboard makes me lose warranty?