Internet stops working completely when my PC is plugged in.

Cactws

There has been 4 days this is happening. Internet works fine on every other device when my computer is shut down or not connected to the router via cable. But the moment I connect it, the internet simply stops working, on the PC, on my cellphone and everyone else's in the house. What is going on?

My ISP's technician came here early today and replaced the line filter, told me to call him if the problem continues so he can come back and replace the router.
Maybe he's coming tomorrow but I really don't think it's a faulty router because...

• Tried to connect my pc to the router using another RJ45 cable (three different ones).
  • Tried using another port on the router
  • Tried connecting another PC using the same cables (internet works fine)

And here's my mindf*cker:
- I tried tethering my phone to the PC via USB to try and use internet on it via the phone's wifi and the internet stops working!!!

I really don't know what is going on, it couldn't be my NIC card, right? Because even through USB tethering it makes the internet stop.
I'll post an update as soon as the technician replaces the router.
Please help me figure out.

Stupid question but have you checked your router settings? I don't know what you use but maybe there's an option for your PC to run in kind of an exclusive mode (though I have no idea why) that's the only thing I can think of dude. 

5 minutes ago, Cactws said:

There has been 4 days this is happening. Internet works fine on every other device when my computer is shut down or not connected to the router via cable. But the moment I connect it, the internet simply stops working, on the PC, on my cellphone and everyone else's in the house. What is going on?

My ISP's technician came here early today and replaced the line filter, told me to call him if the problem continues so he can come back and replace the router.
Maybe he's coming tomorrow but I really don't think it's a faulty router because...

• Tried to connect my pc to the router using another RJ45 cable (three different ones).

- I tried tethering my phone to the PC via USB to try and use internet on it via the phone's wifi and the internet stops working!!!

I really don't know what is going on, it couldn't be my NIC card, right? Because even through USB tethering it makes the internet stop.

Try different rj45 ports? maybe your connecting your pc via like some special port that just shuts down everything? 

5 minutes ago, TheWeirdSpark said:

Stupid question but have you checked your router settings? I don't know what you use but maybe there's an option for your PC to run in kind of an exclusive mode (though I have no idea why) that's the only thing I can think of dude. 

I've never messed with those settings, only to change the wifi password, but when the problem started, I reseted the router to factory default and nothing changed

4 minutes ago, abcdefghivjklmnop said:

Try different rj45 ports? maybe your connecting your pc via like some special port that just shuts down everything? 

Idk if this is possible but yeah, I tried all the other 4 ports

12 minutes ago, Cactws said:

My first thought is that there's something going on during the DHCP process. Are you even getting an IP address on your computer when everything goes down? I've run into this before where something was going on with a POS terminal that caused it to flood the router with requests. And once the router gets flooded, everything goes down. Not even the ISP would be able to remotely communicate with it. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 minute ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

My first thought is that there's something going on during the DHCP process. Are you even getting an IP address on your computer when everything goes down? I've run into this before where something was going on with a POS terminal that caused it to flood the router with requests. And once the router gets flooded, everything goes down. Not even the ISP would be able to remotely communicate with it. 

I dont understand a thing about networks. I will run an ipconfig later to see if I get and IP. I cant right now because there are people working from home. Before anything, I dont think it's the corporate vpn that's causing this because it has been more than a month of home office and the problem only showed up a few days ago.
DHCP is enabled

I'd definitely be worrying this is malware of some kind, your PC performing a denial of service attack that your router can't handle and so everything stops responding.

Have you tried looking as the LEDs on the NIC to see if they flash really fast when it goes down?  Are there any on your router and are they flashing to show activity when your PC is plugged in?

If you can make a Linux Live USB stick and boot into that, you can at least eliminate hardware as a possibility.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

4 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I'd definitely be worrying this is malware of some kind, your PC performing a denial of service attack that your router can't handle and so everything stops responding.

Have you tried looking as the LEDs on the NIC to see if they flash really fast when it goes down?  Are there any on your router and are they flashing to show activity when your PC is plugged in?

If you can make a Linux Live USB stick and boot into that, you can at least eliminate hardware as a possibility.

I don't think this is the case because I reinstalled windows while this issue was happening, not because of it, and changed nothing. I also tried in Pop!_OS and still the same.

3 minutes ago, Cactws said:

I don't think this is the case because I reinstalled windows while this issue was happening, not because of it, and changed nothing. I also tried in Pop!_OS and still the same.

That's even weirder as I can't imagine how this would remain when using a completely different OS.  I would have sworn it was a software issue.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

On 5/19/2020 at 9:57 PM, Alex Atkin UK said:

That's even weirder as I can't imagine how this would remain when using a completely different OS.  I would have sworn it was a software issue.

Hey, I was trying to set up a backup from onedrive and when the upload started, internet stopped. I paused the upload and everything was normal. So it is the upload for sure. I just don't know why because it never happened before.