Comsumer External HDD Lifespan

sczze

I have a seagte backup plus portable drive that is a few years old. It's still quite new with <100 power on hours.

I am wondering on average how long do these consumer drives last? How much can I depend on them if I decide to plug them in 24/7?

Replace the fear of the unknown with curiosity!

5 minutes ago, sczze said:

I have a seagte backup plus portable drive that is a few years old. It's still quite new with <100 power on hours.

I am wondering on average how long do these consumer drives last? How much can I depend on them if I decide to plug them in 24/7?

Well, I have one external going on 7 years (HGST), and another going on 9 (LaCie/Seagate). My parents have one that's at least 12 (Verbatim/Seagate), I think...

Power-on hours don't mean much in terms of drive life. Power-on count is probably a better indicator (I've had drives in my server with POH above 20K and POC around 100 that are still going strong).

On the flip-side, infant mortality is a thing, so basically don't count on any hard drive to turn on the next time you need to use it. Keep backups. Keep backups of backups.

Main System (Byarlant): Ryzen 7 5800X | Asus B550-Creator ProArt | EK 240mm Basic AIO | 16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-14 | XFX Speedster SWFT 210 RX 6600 | Samsung 990 PRO 2TB / Samsung 960 PRO 512GB / 4× Crucial MX500 2TB (RAID-0) | Corsair RM750X | Mellanox ConnectX-3 10G NIC | Inateck USB 3.0 Card | Hyte Y60 Case | Dell U3415W Monitor | Keychron K4 Brown (white backlight)

Laptop (Narrative): Lenovo Flex 5 81X20005US | Ryzen 5 4500U | 16GB RAM (soldered) | Vega 6 Graphics | SKHynix P31 1TB NVMe SSD | Intel AX200 Wifi (all-around awesome machine)

Proxmox Server (Veda): Ryzen 7 3800XT | AsRock Rack X470D4U | Corsair H80i v2 | 64GB Micron DDR4 ECC 3200MT/s | 4x 10TB WD Whites / 4x 14TB Seagate Exos / 2× Samsung PM963a 960GB SSD | Seasonic Prime Fanless 500W | Intel X540-T2 10G NIC | LSI 9207-8i HBA | Fractal Design Node 804 Case (side panels swapped to show off drives) | VMs: TrueNAS Scale; Ubuntu Server (PiHole/PiVPN/NGINX?); Windows 10 Pro; Ubuntu Server (Apache/MySQL)

Media Center/Video Capture (Jesta Cannon): Ryzen 5 1600X | ASRock B450M Pro4 R2.0 | Noctua NH-L12S | 16GB Crucial DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-22 | EVGA GTX750Ti SC | UMIS NVMe SSD 256GB /

TEAMGROUP MS30 1TB | Corsair CX450M | Viewcast Osprey 260e Video Capture | Mellanox ConnectX-2 10G NIC | LG UH12NS30 BD-ROM | Silverstone Sugo SG-11 Case | Sony XR65A80K

Camera: Sony ɑ7II w/ Meike Grip | Sony SEL24240 | Samyang 35mm ƒ/2.8 | Sony SEL50F18F | Sony SEL2870 (kit lens) | PNY Elite Perfomance 512GB SDXC card

Network:

Spoiler
                           ┌─────────────── Office/Rack ────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
Google Fiber Webpass ────── UniFi Security Gateway ─── UniFi Switch 8-60W ─┬─ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Veda (Proxmox Virtual Switch)
(500Mbps↑/500Mbps↓)                             UniFi CloudKey Gen2 (PoE) ─┴─ Veda (IPMI)           ╠═ Veda-NAS (HW Passthrough NIC)
╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╩═ Narrative (Asus USB 2.5G NIC)
║ ┌────── Closet ──────┐   ┌─────────────── Bedroom ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
╚═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╤═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Byarlant
   (PoE)                 │                        ╠═ Narrative (Cable Matters USB-PD 2.5G Ethernet Dongle)
                         │                        ╚═ Jesta Cannon*
                         │ ┌─────────────── Media Center ──────────────────────────────────┐
Notes:                   └─ UniFi Switch 8 ─────────┬─ UniFi Access Point nanoHD (PoE)
═══ is Multi-Gigabit                                ├─ Sony Playstation 4 
─── is Gigabit                                      ├─ Pioneer VSX-S520
* = cable passed to Bedroom from Media Center       ├─ Sony XR65A80K (Google TV)
** = cable passed from Media Center to Bedroom      └─ Work Laptop** (Startech USB-PD Dock)

Retired/Other:

Spoiler

Laptop (Rozen-Zulu): Sony VAIO VPCF13WFX | Core i7-740QM | 8GB Patriot DDR3 | GT 425M | Samsung 850EVO 250GB SSD | Blu-ray Drive | Intel 7260 Wifi (lived a good life, retired with honor)

Testbed/Old Desktop (Kshatriya): Xeon X5470 @ 4.0GHz | ZALMAN CNPS9500 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3L | 8GB Nanya DDR2 400MHz | XFX HD6870 DD | OCZ Vertex 3 Max-IOPS 120GB | Corsair CX430M | HooToo USB 3.0 PCIe Card | Osprey 230 Video Capture | NZXT H230 Case

TrueNAS Server (La Vie en Rose): Xeon E3-1241v3 | Supermicro X10SLL-F | Corsair H60 | 32GB Micron DDR3L ECC 1600MHz | 1x Kingston 16GB SSD / Crucial MX500 500GB

i wouldnt count on it lasting longer than 15 years but lifetime varies alot.

If you judge a fish based on its ability to climb trees it will go its whole life thinking its a failure.

18 minutes ago, sczze said:

Like all spinning rust, you have about 2 major opportunities for failure.

Early failure due to MFG defect, usually happens early in the life cycle, probably 3 to 6 months out of the box.

After that, the drive is likely normal and will provide reliable usage for the first 4-6 years of its life. Beyond that, every day is a blessing and the chances of data corruption rise dramatically.  You should never consider single drive storage as "reliable" for important information.  Doesn't matter if its family photos, financial records, etc.

If the "data", whatever that may be, is important to you, you should be be storing it on some kind of Mirror, or Raid setup, or be paying for some kind of cloud storage solution where they deal with redundancy for you.

Not saying you need some kind of beastly home server.  But a simple disk mirror either via computer, or NAS like device is fine.

Home PC: Apple M1 Mini, 16gb, 1TB, 10Gig-E.  Adobe CC and Ripping things + Daily stuff.

Gaming PC: Ryzen 7 5800x, 32GB, Nvidia RTX 3080Ti stuffed into a Corsair 380T.

Asgard the FreeNAS Plex Server: AMD EPYC 7443p 24 Core, SuperMicro H12SSL-CT Mobo, 256GB DDR4 3200mhz, Norco 4224 Rack Mount. 100TB+ TrueNAS Core.

Toys:

2017 Focus RS | Frozen White | Daily Driver

1989 Pontiac TransAm | GM Triple White | Heads/Cammed LT1 + T56 swap | Suspension goodies up the wazoo. | HPDE Weekend Warrior toy.

4 minutes ago, Thirdgen89GTA said:

Like all spinning rust, you have about 2 major opportunities for failure.

Early failure due to MFG defect, usually happens early in the life cycle, probably 3 to 6 months out of the box.

After that, the drive is likely normal and will provide reliable usage for the first 4-6 years of its life. Beyond that, every day is a blessing and the chances of data corruption rise dramatically.  You should never consider single drive storage as "reliable" for important information.  Doesn't matter if its family photos, financial records, etc.

If the "data", whatever that may be, is important to you, you should be be storing it on some kind of Mirror, or Raid setup, or be paying for some kind of cloud storage solution where they deal with redundancy for you.

Not saying you need some kind of beastly home server.  But a simple disk mirror either via computer, or NAS like device is fine.

When a data corruption occurs, what happens? I have not experienced data corruptions before (at least I did not know that that I did). Most of the time I have been using SSD but now I create more content. So I decided I will archive my work with HDD. (before that i only use hdd for backup). When data corruption occurs, will it repare itself (I read somewhere that i would do that but I dont know how true) or will there be an error message. 

And also if im not wrong, data corruptions happens more frequently with HDD as compared to SSD am I right?

Thank you so much!

You won't notice data corruption unit you either read, or write to the bad sectors.  Typically the system locks up while attempting to read/write the sectors because the I/O request sent to the disk is not being responded to.  

Think of the Computer as the boss, and the corrupted disk as a lazy employee.  The boss asks the lazy employee for the report, the lazy employee can't provide the report.  So the lazy employee scrambles like mad to fix, create, correct the report.  Mean while the boss is waiting, wondering where the report is.

If the disk error correction works, then after a delay, the boss gets the report.

If the disk error cannot be corrected, the lazy employee tells the boss sorry I can't give you the report.

Then if you have mirrored array, you have 1 boss and two employees doing the exact same jobs.  When one employee is lazy, the other provides the report while the lazy employee bumbles around.

Raid 5 would be 5 employee's working on a project, and each employee does their own work + a portion of each other employee's work.  When one employee is lazy, the other 4 employee's pick up the 5th employee's slack and provide a finished project.

Home PC: Apple M1 Mini, 16gb, 1TB, 10Gig-E.  Adobe CC and Ripping things + Daily stuff.

Asgard the FreeNAS Plex Server: AMD EPYC 7443p 24 Core, SuperMicro H12SSL-CT Mobo, 256GB DDR4 3200mhz, Norco 4224 Rack Mount. 100TB+ TrueNAS Core.

Toys:

1989 Pontiac TransAm | GM Triple White | Heads/Cammed LT1 + T56 swap | Suspension goodies up the wazoo. | HPDE Weekend Warrior toy.

4 hours ago, Thirdgen89GTA said:

Then if you have mirrored array, you have 1 boss and two employees doing the exact same jobs.  When one employee is lazy, the other provides the report while the lazy employee bumbles around.

Wait so if there is a bad sector, the computer will use data from the other drive(s) in the raid array. But will the sector on the bad drive remain bad? Or will the computer use the data from the other drive to repair the bad drive?

11 hours ago, sczze said:

Wait so if there is a bad sector, the computer will use data from the other drive(s) in the raid array. But will the sector on the bad drive remain bad? Or will the computer use the data from the other drive to repair the bad drive?

Yes, because one of the drives will have failed to respond in time or returned data that is different from the other drive. When the bad disk fails to read the sector, it will mark the sector bad and attempt to relocate the data to a reserve sector.

The parent RAID controller, be it Hardware, or Software will also conduct a checksum test comparing the data returned from each drive.

Filesystems like ZFS are insanely robust, even on single drive solutions.  When you add in Mirrored, or RaidZ# setups..etc.

Toys: