Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Underperforming cooler?

Pastorcasper 2.0
 Share

Alrighty, so I just upgraded to the Dark Rock Pro 4 from Be Quit, and I feel like the temps are a bit high

Heres my parts list, and the CPU is currently OC'd to 4.1Ghz. The temps under relatively same conditions are a bit better than my old Reeven chronos guard cooler, but I was expecting a lot better performance that would give me more headroom to OC. I already double checked to make sure i had enough thermal goop. im hitting about 75C when running prime95 (in-place large FFT's test), and about 40-45C under normal load. Ambient temp is about 26-27C (80F) are these temps fairly normal or is it in fact underperforming? the only two things I can think of are airflow conflicts with the cooler not drawing enough air through it, or the middle fan isnt working (I dont think this is it but I haven't been able to look to see for sure). according to HWMonitor my CPU fan is running at about 1500 rpm at both of those times. I did disable the quiet fan control option in BIOS, but I dont have anything that allows me to make a custom curve. (I just finished installing it like an hour or two ago)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

What version of prime95 are you running? I know early generation cpu's have trouble with programs that stress FPU with avx loads, such as any prime95 version past 26.6

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Scarface27 said:

What version of prime95 are you running? I know early generation cpu's have trouble with programs that stress FPU with avx loads, such as any prime95 version past 26.6

image.png.fefcb92b446e3ac5057412538f2d6c7a.png
im assuming this is 28.7? lol also, I got some Noctua NF-P14s Redux fans as new case fans for better airflow, and they seem to be running quite loudly

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Pastorcasper 2.0 said:

also, I got some Noctua NF-P14s Redux fans as new case fans for better airflow, and they seem to be running quite loudly

running at max it is quite noticeably loud, and then when just doing basic tasks they ramp up and down a lot (I dont have anything to make a custom curve), if its idling they are not very loud at all and easily drowned out

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

What's the core voltage at during load?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

What's the core voltage at during load?

image.png.057e2546d22da1c8fe09446e20572fb3.png

heres while running prime 95

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Pastorcasper 2.0 said:

image.png.057e2546d22da1c8fe09446e20572fb3.png

heres while running prime 95

Temps seem normal considering the core voltage. The DRP4 should be fine for 1.3v or maybe a bit more. The core voltage is a bit high especially considering the clock speed. Looking online, you should be able to go with higher clocks speeds with 1.2v or less for lower temps. Try that instead. 

 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

Temps seem normal considering the core voltage. The DRP4 should be fine for 1.3v or maybe a bit more. The core voltage is a bit high especially considering the clock speed. Looking online, you should be able to go with higher clocks speeds with 1.2v or less for lower temps. Try that instead. 

 

alrighty im just interested because on the be quiet site, it says that it is a 250W cooler, and im outputting about 85W at those speeds, I have taken into account the fact that their testing was likely more controlled for better results, and also the "contact plate?" is a bit big compared to my CPU, so I feel like I should be getting at least a little bit better temps than this, but it might just be a poor airflow problem. (And yea, I am hoping to get a decent OC sometime in the next week or two)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Pastorcasper 2.0 said:

alrighty im just interested because on the be quiet site, it says that it is a 250W cooler, and im outputting about 85W at those speeds, I have taken into account the fact that their testing was likely more controlled for better results, and also the "contact plate?" is a bit big compared to my CPU, so I feel like I should be getting at least a little bit better temps than this, but it might just be a poor airflow problem. (And yea, I am hoping to get a decent OC sometime in the next week or two)

TDP is not a good method of comparison when it doesn't always mean the same thing and how it's measured isn't consistent. 

As mentioned, temps seem normal considering the core voltage. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

my setup is running with the same cooler and runs like this.
case airflow means ALOT. if the cooler cant get fresh air or get rid of old air it will have issues.

 

My fan curves are not at all optimized but does stay cool with no issues.

Didnt run the stress test that long but as said the fan curves kick in and keep it all cool

 

but iam also using 2 fans on the dark rock, 2 140mm fans and 1 120mm, but in a shitty case :D

 

allthough my voltage is set to 1.335 i can se its higher in here.

 

image.png.dd154f5b1eb36f1b34ab7aabcbe11c07.png

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

TDP is not a good method of comparison when it doesn't always mean the same thing and how it's measured isn't consistent. 

As mentioned, temps seem normal considering the core voltage. 

 

1 hour ago, Ajukrezi said:

my setup is running with the same cooler and runs like this.
case airflow means ALOT. if the cooler cant get fresh air or get rid of old air it will have issues.

 

My fan curves are not at all optimized but does stay cool with no issues.

Didnt run the stress test that long but as said the fan curves kick in and keep it all cool

 

but iam also using 2 fans on the dark rock, 2 140mm fans and 1 120mm, but in a shitty case :D

 

allthough my voltage is set to 1.335 i can see its higher in here.

 

alrighty then, so I guess I have to just live with my loud fans with a weird fan curve I cant change, and try to get better airflow

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Pastorcasper 2.0 said:

 

alrighty then, so I guess I have to just live with my loud fans with a weird fan curve I cant change, and try to get better airflow

well get some good fans that arent loud.

and orient coolers in a good way, i have mine pulling air in front and buttom and out top and back. i let em run pretty slow to be less noisy. ( i have some crappy and some be quiet fans) so i let the be quiet adjust in speed and the crappy ones are static slow speed.
its not silent but neither loud as hell, the most noisy component is the small little 20mm fan in my 10 year old motherboard :D

On 5/18/2020 at 1:51 AM, Pastorcasper 2.0 said:

according to HWMonitor my CPU fan is running at about 1500 rpm at both of those times. I did disable the quiet fan control option in BIOS, but I dont have anything that allows me to make a custom curve. (I just finished installing it like an hour or two ago)

FIY: the max fan speed for be quiet fans are 1500rpm 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Ajukrezi said:

my setup is running with the same cooler and runs like this.
case airflow means ALOT. if the cooler cant get fresh air or get rid of old air it will have issues.

My fan curves are not at all optimized but does stay cool with no issues.

Didnt run the stress test that long but as said the fan curves kick in and keep it all cool

but iam also using 2 fans on the dark rock, 2 140mm fans and 1 120mm, but in a shitty case :D

allthough my voltage is set to 1.335 i can se its higher in here.

That's not the same. The 2700k runs cooler than the 3770k given the same voltage since it's less thermally dense and has a soldered ihs. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

That's not the same. The 2700k runs cooler than the 3770k given the same voltage since it's less thermally dense and has a soldered ihs. 

nope not the same but still alot closer than modern CPUs. allthough 32 and 22 nm.

but the 2700k has a higher TDP.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Ajukrezi said:

nope not the same but still alot closer than modern CPUs. allthough 32 and 22 nm.

but the 2700k has a higher TDP.

Closer than what modern cpus? That's pretty vague. As mentioned, the tdp is not a good comparison when it's so inconsistent. 

 

The thermal difference between the 3770k and 2700k is pretty massive. There were plenty of articles that made a fuss over how IvyB was so much hotter. 

http://www.motormice.com/reviews/SZ77R5/cooling.htm

https://silentpcreview.com/intel-core-i7-3770-ivy-bridge-cpu/

https://www.legitreviews.com/intel-core-i7-3770k-3-5ghz-ivy-bridge-processor-review_1914/16

Using SiliconLottery's delidding results, CompuTronix's Intel Temperature Guide explains the die vs. ihs temperature delta going from <5c to 10-25c: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/intel-temperature-guide.1488337/

 

1.35v is about as high as you can expect for air cooling on the 3770k without delidding whereas it's not hard to find 2600k / 2700k's at 1.4v or higher with humble coolers like the Hyper 212's. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

Closer than what modern cpus? That's pretty vague. As mentioned, the tdp is not a good comparison when it's so inconsistent. 

 

The thermal difference between the 3770k and 2700k is pretty massive. There were plenty of articles that made a fuss over how IvyB was so much hotter. 

http://www.motormice.com/reviews/SZ77R5/cooling.htm

https://silentpcreview.com/intel-core-i7-3770-ivy-bridge-cpu/

https://www.legitreviews.com/intel-core-i7-3770k-3-5ghz-ivy-bridge-processor-review_1914/16

Using SiliconLottery's delidding results, CompuTronix's Intel Temperature Guide explains the die vs. ihs temperature delta going from <5c to 10-25c: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/intel-temperature-guide.1488337/

 

1.35v is about as high as you can expect for air cooling on the 3770k without delidding whereas it's not hard to find 2600k / 2700k's at 1.4v or higher with humble coolers like the Hyper 212's. 

@WoodenMarker so about what temps would I be getting if I did run it at 1.35V? taking into account an avg of about 70F ambient 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Pastorcasper 2.0 said:

@WoodenMarker so about what temps would I be getting if I did run it at 1.35V? taking into account an avg of about 70F ambient 

Probably 90c or higher. 1.35v is high for the 3770k and not recommended. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Probably 90c or higher. 1.35v is high for the 3770k and not recommended. 

ooh yea thats a bit hot, how high do u think I can go for voltage while keeping cpu temps around 80C?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Pastorcasper 2.0 said:

ooh yea thats a bit hot, how high do u think I can go for voltage while keeping cpu temps around 80C?

1.3v seems to be the limit for your cooling and is about as high as most people seem to go with with the 3770k for 24/7 usage. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

1.3v seems to be the limit for your cooling and is about as high as most people seem to go with with the 3770k for 24/7 usage. 

alrighty thanks

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 3770K, it’s a hot cpu. 1.38 was my limit. That was good for 4700, 1.525 got my to 4900 for benching. Believe me, don’t listen to software because mine said 85w when my killawatt said otherwise. It’s a tough cpu to cool. The voltage you are running now gives me 4600 on my 3770K. As noted you need to move some air in that case to give your cooler a fighting chance. 90 is fine, I wouldn’t go much higher.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Frost Commander 140/ TY-143
Asus Strix B550-F Gaming | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200C14
EVGA RTX 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra | WD SN750 500GB, 1TB

Seasonic Prime GX-750 | Fractal Design Meshify C | iPPC 3K

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Closer than what modern cpus? That's pretty vague. As mentioned, the tdp is not a good comparison when it's so inconsistent. 

 

The thermal difference between the 3770k and 2700k is pretty massive. There were plenty of articles that made a fuss over how IvyB was so much hotter. 

http://www.motormice.com/reviews/SZ77R5/cooling.htm

https://silentpcreview.com/intel-core-i7-3770-ivy-bridge-cpu/

https://www.legitreviews.com/intel-core-i7-3770k-3-5ghz-ivy-bridge-processor-review_1914/16

Using SiliconLottery's delidding results, CompuTronix's Intel Temperature Guide explains the die vs. ihs temperature delta going from <5c to 10-25c: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/intel-temperature-guide.1488337/

 

1.35v is about as high as you can expect for air cooling on the 3770k without delidding whereas it's not hard to find 2600k / 2700k's at 1.4v or higher with humble coolers like the Hyper 212's. 

Damn i did not know the difference what that big between the chips, i saw sandybrigde used more power as was to be expected. but didnt know the density changed that much

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Ajukrezi said:

Damn i did not know the difference what that big between the chips, i saw sandybrigde used more power as was to be expected. but didnt know the density changed that much

The density made a big difference but probably not as much as going from soldered to thermal paste under the ihs.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×