No power going to pc

No power getting to pc

I just finished building my computer and i went to turn it on but it wont turn on. None of the fans spin up and none of the front pannel LEDs turn on. I dont know whether its my PSU that is bad or that my motherboard is a DOA. Everything was plugged in right and the psu was on. Can i have some advice. 

8 minutes ago, oSharpey said:

No power getting to pc

I just finished building my computer and i went to turn it on but it wont turn on. None of the fans spin up and none of the front pannel LEDs turn on. I dont know whether its my PSU that is bad or that my motherboard is a DOA. Everything was plugged in right and the psu was on. Can i have some advice. 

Wait so NOTHING turned on? Are you sure you plugged the PSU into an actual functioning outlet?

Check the front panel header and how you put those cables from the case. Maybe the power on switch in the front of the case isn't plugged in properly or at all.

You can check and make sure the power supply works by turning it on outside the system with the help of a simple wire or paper clip (metal) by shorting two contacts in the 24pin connector.

Connect a wire between PS_ON and COM (any COM, but one above is easiest) and power supply should start up outside the system.

ATX 20/24 - please clarify

17 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Check the front panel header and how you put those cables from the case. Maybe the power on switch in the front of the case isn't plugged in properly or at all.

You can check and make sure the power supply works by turning it on outside the system with the help of a simple wire or paper clip (metal) by shorting two contacts in the 24pin connector.

Connect a wire between PS_ON and COM (any COM, but one above is easiest) and power supply should start up outside the system.

ATX 20/24 - please clarify

I tried this and the fan did not spin up at all, I have a strong feeling the psu is dead

23 minutes ago, oSharpey said:

I tried this and the fan did not spin up at all, I have a strong feeling the psu is dead

The wire must stay between those two contacts to keep the psu on. It's not a temporary connection.

Some modern power supplies do not spin the fan unless needed, so they won't turn on the fan when they're not warm and there's nothing connected to it.

You can try connecting a mechanical hard drive, if you have any, and if the power supply starts you should hear the mechanical drive start to spin and you'd feel vibrations in the drive.

Alternatively, any household should have a multimeter around, so if you do have one, you could set the meter on DC and put the probes on COM and the other on a 5v or 12v contact and when the power supply turns on, you should see on the multimeter a reading of 5v or 12v ... that tells you the psu works.

When the psu is off, only the 5vSB should have 5v on it (between 5vSB and COM)