After installing new GPU, my PC turns on but only black screen, no access to bios.

Jacky1911

Hi, all-

My specs:

• CPU Ryzen 3 2200G
  • MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max
  • DDR4 Kingston16GB (2x8) 2666mhz
  • PSU Seasonic Focus Platinum PX 650W
  • Monitor Samsung 24" connected via HDMI
  • OS Windows 10 Pro

The system works fine, but whenever I tried to plug in a new GPU, Zotac 1080ti AMP Edition, I always get black screen, no access to BIOS.
I know to system turns on because all the fans were spinning including the CPU and GPU (although it only spin a bit then stop. What I read from the internet is that it only spin whenever its temperature reached certain degrees).
Also, the LED on the board and GPU were on. But, the MSI EZ LED debug on motherboard is on the "VGA".

It doesn't matter whether I connect monitor's HDMI cable to GPU or to onboard card, the display always turns black. The only way to "remove" this black screen is to unplug GPU from motherboard.

What I have done (while the system is running - no GPU inserted):

• Disable the display adapter (AMD Radeon Vega 8 Graphics) on Device Manager in Windows > turn off PC > insert the GPU > turn on pc > Still black screen.
  • msconfig > safe reboot (minimal) > turn off PC > insert the GPU > turn on pc > Still black screen.
  • Tried to install nvidia driver > failed, no nvidia hardware detected.
  • Unplug and re-plug the cable to make sure everything is intact.
  • Tried powering the GPU using different PCIe cable from another port in PSU.
  • Tried inserting the GPU to another slot in motherboard.
  • Tried cleaning the PCIe slot in motherboard.

I tried this GPU on my friend PC and it was working fine, although he is using WIndows 7 instead of Windows 10 (I'm not sure if it is the cause?). Unfortunately, I don't have any other GPU to test on this board.
Anyone can help me fix this? Any suggestion / thought will be appreciated because this problem has been frustrating me for the past three days.

14 minutes ago, Jacky1911 said:

Hi, all-

My specs:

• CPU Ryzen 3 2200G
  • MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max
  • DDR4 Kingston16GB (2x8) 2666mhz
  • PSU Seasonic Focus Platinum PX 650W
  • Monitor Samsung 24" connected via HDMI
  • OS Windows 10 Pro

The system works fine, but whenever I tried to plug in a new GPU, Zotac 1080ti AMP Edition, I always get black screen, no access to BIOS.
I know to system turns on because all the fans were spinning including the CPU and GPU (although it only spin a bit then stop. What I read from the internet is that it only spin whenever its temperature reached certain degrees).
Also, the LED on the board and GPU were on. But, the MSI EZ LED debug on motherboard is on the "VGA".

It doesn't matter whether I connect monitor's HDMI cable to GPU or to onboard card, the display always turns black. The only way to "remove" this black screen is to unplug GPU from motherboard.

What I have done (while the system is running - no GPU inserted):

• Disable the display adapter (AMD Radeon Vega 8 Graphics) on Device Manager in Windows > turn off PC > insert the GPU > turn on pc > Still black screen.
  • msconfig > safe reboot (minimal) > turn off PC > insert the GPU > turn on pc > Still black screen.
  • Tried to install nvidia driver > failed, no nvidia hardware detected.
  • Unplug and re-plug the cable to make sure everything is intact.
  • Tried powering the GPU using different PCIe cable from another port in PSU.
  • Tried inserting the GPU to another slot in motherboard.
  • Tried cleaning the PCIe slot in motherboard.

I tried this GPU on my friend PC and it was working fine, although he is using WIndows 7 instead of Windows 10 (I'm not sure if it is the cause?). Unfortunately, I don't have any other GPU to test on this board.
Anyone can help me fix this? Any suggestion / thought will be appreciated because this problem has been frustrating me for the past three days.

You are plugging your monitor cable into the gpu right?

25 minutes ago, jaslion said:

You are plugging your monitor cable into the gpu right?

Either into gpu or onboard card, it always gets black screen if the gpu is installed. The only way to "remove" this black screen is by removing the gpu from the board, then connecting the hdmi cable into onboard card.

7 minutes ago, Jacky1911 said:

Either into gpu or onboard card, it always gets black screen if the gpu is installed. The only way to "remove" this black screen is by removing the gpu from the board, then connecting the hdmi cable into onboard card.

You have 2 pcie x16 slots in which one are you plugging it in? Have you tried in the other one?

Just now, jaslion said:

You have 2 pcie x16 slots in which one are you plugging it in? Have you tried in the other one?

Yes, I tried both of them, none solved the issue.

Unless you can find a gpu somewhere I don't have any more advice. Part from checking in the bios that the pcie slot is not in x4 mode but at least in x8 mode.

Are you sure you have both 8 pin PCIE plugs in.  I believe that most 1080 Ti cards use all 8 pins on each cable.  Also, each cable should be dedicated and not split since you are running a single card.

Also, is there a jumper or setting in the BIOS to prioritizes eGPU over the iGPU?  

Gaming - AMD TR 3970X | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme II | G.SKILL Neo 3600 64GB | Zotac Nvidia 2080 Ti AMP | 2x Sabarent 1TB NVMe | Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1000w | Corsair K70 RGB Lux | Corsiar M65 | 2x ASUS Rog PG279Q | BenQ EW3270U | Windows 10 Pro | EKWB Custom loop

ITX - Intel i7-10700k | Asus ROG Z490-I Gaming | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200 32GB | EVGA 2080 Super| Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SSD | NZXT H1| Windows 10 Pro

HTPC - Intel i9-9900k | Asus ROG Maximus XI Code | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200 32GB | EVGA 1070 | Samsung 970 1TB | WD Blue 1TB SSD | NZXT H700  | EVGA G3 1000W | Corsair H150i | Windows 10 Pro

Servers - SuperMicro 846 | 2x 2695L V2 | 128GB | Chelsio 10Gbe | Chelsio 40Gbe | 24 x 6TB | FreeNas - SuperMicro 826 | 2 x 2695L | 128GB | Chelsio 10Gbe | Chelsio 40Gbe | 8 x 10TB | 847 24 x 1TB SSD | Windows Server 2019

Work - Dell XPS 15 9560 | i7-7700HQ | 32 GB RAM | 1TB NVMe | 4k dsiplay

Yes, there is LED on the GPU near the 2x8 pin ports which turn red when I accidentally put only 8 pin + 6 pin from PSU. But now it turns green when I put the correct 2x8 pin. I used the split cable though, but I'll try the use 2 dedicated 8 pin PCIe cable to see if it makes any different. By the way, this same PSU used to power MSI 980ti, my old gpu (now it's been sold to a stranger on eBay) which also need 2 x 8 pin PCIe cable, so I believe my PSU is still fine and capable to power this 1080ti.

UPDATE:

So, I've tried using Device Driver Uninstaller (DDU):

- Install DDU

- Reboot in safe mode

- Run DDU > I checked all options to remove NVIDIA and AMD driver > then I select Clean and Reboot

- After it's done and PC reboot, I check device manager > under display adapters > Microsoft Monitor Display

- I turn off PC > Installed GPU > It was still black screen 😰

I then tried using Team Viewer to access my pc remotely. After I set everything, with GPU still installed, I reboot the PC (still black screen).

With the system turn on with the black screen, I used Team Viewer on my phone to access it, and it worked like a charm. I check GPU-Z, my GPU is detected.

Still using Team Viewer, I decided to install latest driver from NVIDIA. The installation was successfull. Again, I check device manager > under display adapters > NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1080 Ti

Then I reboot my PC, but it still black screen...

Now I don't know what else I should do... Any advice, guys?

Either you GPU is dead or your dont supply it with enough power there is a slight chance that your mobo has faulty PCIe slots but I deem the first two scenarios as much more plausible 

On 5/15/2020 at 10:31 PM, Jacky1911 said:

tried this GPU on my friend PC and it was working fine, although he is using WIndows 7 instead of Windows 10 (I'm not sure if it is the cause?). Unfortunately, I don't

I didnt read that part.. well then its your PSU or your mobo at fault windows since you DDUed shouldnt have issues (but a fresh install couldnt hurt if you are out of options) 

Okay thanks for the answer, I think I will try one more time to unplug and re-plug in all the cable, clean all the components, and then fresh install the Windows. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Sorry if already posted, but check the bios setting and set which gpu to use (integrated or pcie) to auto or a similar setting, to make sure it detects if a gpu is installed and uses slthat instead of the igp. Also, if tou have a multi display setup and one of them is off ( say a tv), check if it posta to that instead.

4 hours ago, LauRoman said:

Sorry if already posted, but check the bios setting and set which gpu to use (integrated or pcie) to auto or a similar setting, to make sure it detects if a gpu is installed and uses slthat instead of the igp. Also, if tou have a multi display setup and one of them is off ( say a tv), check if it posta to that instead.

I've tried to locate this because I read about it in the internet when searching the solution of my issue, but I couldn't find any setting like this in the BIOS.

9 minutes ago, Jacky1911 said:

I've tried to locate this because I read about it in the internet when searching the solution of my issue, but I couldn't find any setting like this in the BIOS.

nvm, I didn't look hard enough. It found it and it was like this. Do I need to change it?

Generally leave it to auto, but test it once by setting it to disabled (ONLY IF YOU HAVE A GPU INSTALLED). If you have no gpu installed and turn it off you will have no display output and will need to reset the CMOS. You are not breaking anything by doing this.

4 minutes ago, LauRoman said:

Generally leave it to auto, but test it once by setting it to disabled (ONLY IF YOU HAVE A GPU INSTALLED). If you have no gpu installed and turn it off you will have no display output and will need to reset the CMOS. You are not breaking anything by doing this.

Ok, thanks. I'll do that next afternoon when I'm home from work and have googled how to reset CMOS just in case. It's past midnight now here, I don't think it's great idea to do it right now 😄 I'll let you know how it turns.

20 hours ago, Jacky1911 said:

Ok, thanks. I'll do that next afternoon when I'm home from work and have googled how to reset CMOS just in case. It's past midnight now here, I don't think it's great idea to do it right now 😄 I'll let you know how it turns.

UPDATE : I've tried this, still got black screen, even when I remove the gpu and connected the hdmi monitor into onboard card. I need to reset the CMOS to make it work again. I guess I'll just wait for the weekend to clean re-install my Windows 10. If it still won't work, then I'll just RMA it.

Thanks guys for trying to help me 😄

• 11 months later...

Any Update on the resolution on this issue guys. Recently stuck in similar issue with a Ryzen 2200G and Msi Nvidia GTX 1660 Super..!!