Quick: Painting a Heatsink?

fuse
Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,

I painted my bitfenix spectre pro fans and the work and sound perfect. As long as you know how to take them apart and as long as there isn't a clump of dirt on it it should be fine

Coating the fans and coating the heatsink are 2 different things.

Coating the heatsink stops it from doing its job of dissipating heat well. It shouldn't be okay to do so.

So i'm going to college next year and plan on upgradeing my rig. I plan on blacking out my rig. Literally no light (except for the blue LED in the Fractal Define XL power button), just a big black box. Here's the thing, I want to use a Noctua D14 2011 as the heatsink becuase I perfer air cooling unless I plan on watercooling my GPU as well, which I'm not this time. Simply becuase I won't have time to manage it or to diagnose if anything happens. As you should know the Noctua D14 is chromed out and it would clash with the overall theme and was wondering if it would be okay if I painted the heatsink fins black?

Edit: I'm gonna have the brown Noctua fans be the only thing that aren't black in the rig unless the black Noctua fans come out by then.

rawr!! I'm a ferret!

I don't think that is a good idea. Also, you'd have to treat the surface for the paint to stick to it. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

I don't think painting it would be very good, the spaces between the fins you most likely fill with paint, you could try it if you really wanted it, Just makes the surface is really clean

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

So i'm going to college next year and plan on upgradeing my rig. I plan on blacking out my rig. Literally no light (except for the blue LED in the Fractal Define XL power button), just a big black box. Here's the thing, I want to use a Noctua D14 2011 as the heatsink becuase I perfer air cooling unless I plan on watercooling my GPU as well, which I'm not this time. Simply becuase I won't have time to manage it or to diagnose if anything happens. As you should know the Noctua D14 is chromed out and it would clash with the overall theme and was wondering if it would be okay if I painted the heatsink fins black?

Edit: I'm gonna have the brown Noctua fans be the only thing that aren't black in the rig unless the black Noctua fans come out by then.

Get a Be Quiet! Dark Rock 2 instead as it's pretty much all black already.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

Performance > Style

"When in doubt, don't take your wallet out." - Dad

† TTCF Member †

I painted my bitfenix spectre pro fans and the work and sound perfect. As long as you know how to take them apart and as long as there isn't a clump of dirt on it it should be fine

Motherboard- P8Z77V-LK CPU- i5 3570K @4.3 RAM- 8gb of Corsair Vengence GPU- MSI 660ti Power Edition PSU- CX750M SSD- Samsung 840t HDD- 1tb of WD Black Case- Modded Bitfenix Shinobi Cooling- H80i and Bitfenix Spectre fans and Bitfenix LED fans

He's talking about the heatsink

Main Rig:

Spoiler

AMD FX 8320 @4.5Ghz  8GB Corsair Vengeance LP Blu 1600Mhz Sapphire Vapor X HD 7950 3GB 120GB Samsung 840 Evo  Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 

Corsair 600T Graphite Corsair H80i Corsair CX600 2x LG 24 inch LED @1080p Logitech G700s CM Quickfire TK (Brown)

Home Server:

Spoiler

A4 6300 @3.7Ghz 5GB Kingston/Crucial DDR3 1600Mhz 1TB WD Green 2TB Seagate Barracuda

500GB WD Blue 2x Gigabit NIC Antec 300 OCZ 500w PSU Gigabyte F2A68HM-HD2 R1.1

Coating the heatsink stops it from doing its job of dissipating heat well. It shouldn't be okay to do so.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Thank you, I just wwanted to hear other opinions before I went through with it.

Performance > Style

I obviously know that, but I'm not a benchamrk scoring freak or a maxFPS or nothing kinda person. I like style jsut as much as I like performance.

rawr!! I'm a ferret!

ive done the tower painting in white on a D14:

You can get a AIO water cooler, it's far more appealing than any heatsink.

ive done the tower painting in white on a D14:

Very nice. You didn't paint the fins but you don't see those anyway. I like it. I might try this.

You can get a AIO water cooler, it's far more appealing than any heatsink.

I don't want to buy an AIO. If I water cool I'm goon install a full loop through CPU+GPU.

rawr!! I'm a ferret!

I have personally painted the tops of many heatsinks and it had little effect on them temp wise. Just make sure you tape it up well so you only get paint were you want it.

Here is an example.

true-%20black%20120%20-%201.jpg

900x900px-LL-6da854b4__MG_6579.jpeg

900x900px-LL-daa530ca__MG_6560.jpeg

[MAINFrame Customs Shop] | [Sleeving Guide Videos] | [Sleeving FAQ]
[Project Log]:[ Katharos ]: April MotM Winner | [Project Log]:[ Xýlo Kai Chalkó ]: Working | [Project Log]:[ Aspros ]: Done - 4th Place PDX Lan |
[Reason I Live]