USB C and 3.1

Paolodema

Is It safe to plug in a USB C device into a USB A 3.1 port with an adaptor?

Are motherboard adaptors (like the one from Lian Li in the image) safe?

41WWU5bD8rL._AC_SX355_.jpg

4 minutes ago, Paolodema said:

Is It safe to plug in a USB C device into a USB A 3.1 port with an adaptor?

USB Type C is a physical connector, which can hold a whole different range of signal types.

Including the various USB signals. 2.0, 3.2 gen 1*, 3.2 gen 2* and 3.2 2x2.

But the beauty of USB, is that it's forwards and backward compatible. If your cable physically fits in your device, it will work. Of course keeping in mind, some devices will run at a lower speed (like plugging a USB 3.2 Gen 1 hub into USB 2.0 hub, will lower its speed to 2.0 standard) and some devices absolutely require a certain signal type.

So it will likely work, but you should give some more information if you want a conclusive answer. Please tell us the two devices you're connecting together and what cable you're using? 

*keep in mind these have been renamed

image.thumb.png.04342b570e58fa3e4f4230cb3ec5a5de.png

EDIT: you edited your post after I quoted your already...

Basically an adapter like that is safe to use. The Silverstone CP14 is an alternative.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, minibois said:

USB Type C is a physical connector, which can hold a whole different range of signal types.

Including the various USB signals. 2.0, 3.2 gen 1*, 3.2 gen 2* and 3.2 2x2.

But the beauty of USB, is that it's forwards and backward compatible. If your cable physically fits in your device, it will work. Of course keeping in mind, some devices will run at a lower speed (like plugging a USB 3.2 Gen 1 hub into USB 2.0 hub, will lower its speed to 2.0 standard) and some devices absolutely require a certain signal type.

So it will likely work, but you should give some more information if you want a conclusive answer. Please tell us the two devices you're connecting together and what cable you're using? 

*keep in mind these have been renamed

image.thumb.png.04342b570e58fa3e4f4230cb3ec5a5de.png

I will purchase a Logitech Streamcam (It has only USB type C connector), I need to connect It to my Mini ITX PC. My motherboard is a B450i Aorus Pro Wi-Fi that does not have USB C. My case Is NXZT H210 that has the USB C connector. I was thinking about purchasing an adaptor (external or internal like the one in the image).