Decentralized Streaming Service

babadoctor
Go to solution Solved by Alex Atkin UK,
1 hour ago, Enderman said:

It's the fact that many packets need to be sent out and received in the same order even if they are not going through the same distribution servers, the fact that they need to all arrive in advance in order to avoid buffering, the detection and resending of lost packets, thousands of clients that all need to be sent the stream, etc.

Exactly, its like the complete opposite of torrenting where random bits of the file come from different people all over the world and it doesn't matter because its not time sensitive.

How hard would it be to make a decentralized streaming service like twitch?

I was thinking that users who are closer to each other would share bandwidth and that would potentially lower latency.

Any ideas?

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

It's like, very hard...........................

LTT has been working on floatplane for years, with a team of people, who have a lot of experience in programming and content delivery systems and all kinds of stuff.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

52 minutes ago, Enderman said:

It's like, very hard...........................

LTT has been working on floatplane for years, with a team of people, who have a lot of experience in programming and content delivery systems and all kinds of stuff.

What would be the difficulties?

I can't imagine it's any different than regular torrenting, but with some minor modifications to how peers and seeders are chosen and some fixes to improve latency

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

40 minutes ago, babadoctor said:

What would be the difficulties?

I can't imagine it's any different than regular torrenting, but with some minor modifications to how peers and seeders are chosen and some fixes to improve latency

It's the fact that many packets need to be sent out and received in the same order even if they are not going through the same distribution servers, the fact that they need to all arrive in advance in order to avoid buffering, the detection and resending of lost packets, thousands of clients that all need to be sent the stream, etc.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

Exactly, its like the complete opposite of torrenting where random bits of the file come from different people all over the world and it doesn't matter because its not time sensitive.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7