Please i need help..

Almighty_Big_Man

I don't know if this is the right place to ask. honestly iv'e never left anything on any type of blog or forum before. i just got my first SSD drive. its a Samsung 860 EVO and im trying to figure out how to get windows 10 from my HDD to the new SSD. if anyone could shine some light that would be amazing! thank you!

2 minutes ago, Almighty_Big_Man said:

I don't know if this is the right place to ask. honestly iv'e never left anything on any type of blog or forum before. i just got my first SSD drive. its a Samsung 860 EVO and im trying to figure out how to get windows 10 from my HDD to the new SSD. if anyone could shine some light that would be amazing! thank you!

What specifically do you mean, do you want to transfer all of your files and Windows from your HDD to the SSD or are you referring to the Windows still being activated if you were to install a fresh install on the SSD?

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

4 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

What specifically do you mean, do you want to transfer all of your files and Windows from your HDD to the SSD or are you referring to the Windows still being activated if you were to install a fresh install on the SSD?

I think OP wants to transfer his OS to the SSD, which would require some sort of OS cloning software if I am not mistaken. With the amount of hassle that can sometimes cause (in my experience), I would just end up doing a fresh install on the SSD.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X GPU: Reference 5700XT (Asus) Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X470-F RAM: Corsair 32GB Vengeance 3600Mhz PSU: Corsair RM850X White

Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB Storage: 500GB WD SN750 M.2, 4TB Samsung EVO SSD Case: NZXT H500i White

Keyboard: Asus ROG Strix Flare (MX Red) Mouse: Corsair Sabre RGB

I'm trying to transfer everything over from the HDD to SSD. i was given these hard drive to help me start building a pc and now that ive upgraded everything else i just got an SSD and am trying to move OS and everything off that hard drive to SSD

Macrium Reflect usually does a good job.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

2 minutes ago, Almighty_Big_Man said:

I'm trying to transfer everything over from the HDD to SSD. i was given these hard drive to help me start building a pc and now that ive upgraded everything else i just got an SSD and am trying to move OS and everything off that hard drive to SSD

You will need to use a cloning software such as Macrium Reflect or Aomei Partition Assistant. It is also best to do it in a portable OS such as Winpe. But Macrium Reflect is my go to, it's easy to use and generally doesn't have a problem as long as the HDD is good. If it has bad sectors or any sort of issues however it can be a real pain, and you may need to use a raw copy program, that does sector by sector.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

i tried Macrium Reflect. idk if i did something wrong in the process but i couldnt get it to boot windows. i even unplugged old harddrives and made sure it was set to boot from ssd.

i was told these hard drive are really old... so it may not work?

Just now, Almighty_Big_Man said:

i tried Macrium Reflect. idk if i did something wrong in the process but i couldnt get it to boot windows. i even unplugged old harddrives and made sure it was set to boot from ssd.

Sometimes macrium reflect will need to run a boot fix on the drive before it will work. It should have a boot fix option in macrium but it is only available in a portable OS. You can also try doing the clone with Aomei, I usually use Aomei if Macrium doesn't work and it can usually get it done correctly and it doesn't need to have the boot fixed.

1 minute ago, Almighty_Big_Man said:

i was told these hard drive are really old... so it may not work?

Please remember to quote who you are trying to respond to so we know when you reply. If the drives are really old and have bad sectors and or errors then they may not work, it's usually best when upgrading a computer or building a new one to do a fresh install of Windows. You should try Aomei first and if it still doesn't work then do a fresh install on the SSD.

I'll try aomei. now one more question, how do i format the ssd lol ive used Macrium Reflect and cloned it just didnt work so now it has all that on it.

1 minute ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Please remember to quote who you are trying to respond to so we know when you reply. If the drives are really old and have bad sectors and or errors then they may not work, it's usually best when upgrading a computer or building a new one to do a fresh install of Windows. You should try Aomei first and if it still doesn't work then do a fresh install on the SSD.

sorry ill reply i didn't notice it.

Just now, Almighty_Big_Man said:

I'll try aomei. now one more question, how do i format the ssd lol ive used Macrium Reflect and cloned it just didnt work so now it has all that on it.

Again, please remember to use the quote feature so we can see when you respond. You can format it in a Windows installer or if you can still boot into the older HDD, you can use disk management or diskpart in CMD to format it.

1 minute ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Again, please remember to use the quote feature so we can see when you respond. You can format it in a Windows installer or if you can still boot into the older HDD, you can use disk management or diskpart in CMD to format it.

ok! thank you for the help i really appreciate it!

1 minute ago, Almighty_Big_Man said:

ok! thank you for the help i really appreciate it!

No problem, let us know how it goes!