How to choose a monitor: What information to know, and where to find it.

SolarNova

Might I ask what some retailers mean by LED panels? For instance I am currently trying to find a new monitor and came across this Samsung Odyssey G5 LS32AG520PU it's a datasheet and it refers to a LEDLCD panel but I have no clue what it means?

On 2/24/2024 at 12:46 PM, FLYXTARD said:

Might I ask what some retailers mean by LED panels? For instance I am currently trying to find a new monitor and came across this Samsung Odyssey G5 LS32AG520PU it's a datasheet and it refers to a LEDLCD panel but I have no clue what it means?

That refers to the backlight that shines through the LCDs to allow you to actually see the image.

Modern LCDs use LED backlights instead of the old Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamps (CCFL)

Any display advertised as LED, is in fact LCD, and all new* LCD displays advertised are LED lit, be them edge lit, 'back' lit, or using full array local dimming (FALD).

*I dont think CCFL LCD are made anymore anywhere....maybe some obscure small Chinese vendor, similar to those crappy cheap CRTs still being made.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |