Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Network Scheme [HELP]

WotanZend

Hello all,

Im new at this forum and i would like to salute you all before hand.

I'm thinking about buying the UniFi Security Gateway Pro, but i have some doubts that i want to clarify, and if possible i would like some expertise opinion.

I have an ISP router/modem at the moment (Thomson tg789vac v2), and my ISP provider tell me i can´t remove it. The only thing i can do is to colocate it in bridge mode, and they tell me it will work, so the Thomson tg789vac v2 in bridge mode and the Unifi Security Gateway Pro defining all the rules and being the main router. Thing here is, it will work?

Other thing is about Wi-Fi. UniFi Security Gateway Pro does not provide Wi-Fi, so im thinking in buying the Unifi AC Pro (pack of 3 to cover a large area). It will work when connected with the Ubiquiti UniFi Security Gateway Pro? And what about Wi-Fi? Can i set it up on the Unifi AC Pro?

So the thing will be:

Internet -> Thomson tg789vac v2 (Bridge Mode) -> UniFi Security Gateway Pro -> Switch -> Unifi AC Pro (Pack of 3) in different locations configured as acess point with cable coming from the Switch.

Can someone tell me i'm doing it right?

Thank you all very much in advance.

4 minutes ago, WotanZend said:

Thing here is, it will work?

It should work fine this way.

4 minutes ago, WotanZend said:

Other thing is about Wi-Fi. UniFi Security Gateway Pro does not provide Wi-Fi, so im thinking in buying the Unifi AC Pro (pack of 3 to cover a large area). It will work when connected with the Ubiquiti UniFi Security Gateway Pro? And what about Wi-Fi? Can i set it up on the Unifi AC Pro?

Yea that will work, you need a switch, probably want a poe switch. Id get nanoHDs aswell, there newer and better.

lso id go UDM pro over the usg pro, much faster, simmilar price, and built in controller.

That will work, but its a bad time to buy a USG or USG-Pro, they are likely to be discontinued any day now.

If you need it right now, look into a Dream Machine or Dream Machine Pro, if you can wait a little bit Ubiquiti is releasing a direct replacement for the USG called the UXG. Should have been in Early Access by now, but Covid seems to have delayed it. https://community.ui.com/questions/Introducing-the-UniFi-Next-Gen-Gateway-Product-Line-Starting-with-UXG-Pro-/732dd4dd-10bf-463c-8622-382d77702872

13 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

It should work fine this way.

Yea that will work, you need a switch, probably want a poe switch. Id get nanoHDs aswell, there newer and better.

lso id go UDM pro over the usg pro, much faster, simmilar price, and built in controller.

Thanks for the fast reply. I will check if my switch´s are POE in first hand.

nanoHDs aswell? What do you mean? Instead of the AC PRO?

About the UDM Pro its not an option in terms of money right now.

13 minutes ago, Scheer said:

That will work, but its a bad time to buy a USG or USG-Pro, they are likely to be discontinued any day now.

If you need it right now, look into a Dream Machine or Dream Machine Pro, if you can wait a little bit Ubiquiti is releasing a direct replacement for the USG called the UXG. Should have been in Early Access by now, but Covid seems to have delayed it. https://community.ui.com/questions/Introducing-the-UniFi-Next-Gen-Gateway-Product-Line-Starting-with-UXG-Pro-/732dd4dd-10bf-463c-8622-382d77702872

Didn't know that. Maybe i can wait a bit more, but do you think the prices will be the same? Thanks.

2 minutes ago, WotanZend said:

nanoHDs aswell? What do you mean? Instead of the AC PRO?

yup, instead of the ac pro

2 minutes ago, WotanZend said:

About the UDM Pro its not an option in terms of money right now.

Whats the price difference, From what I see its 300 for the usg pro, and 400 for the udm pro. Well worth that extra 100.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

yup, instead of the ac pro

Whats the price difference, From what I see its 300 for the usg pro, and 400 for the udm pro. Well worth that extra 100.

Does the UDM Pro gives bandwidth statistics per device, and in general? Where are people browsing, etc?

Just now, WotanZend said:

Does the UDM Pro gives bandwidth statistics per device, and in general? Where are people browsing, etc?

I think it does.

What do you want to know about browsing? You can get a good feel, but with most sites being https, you won't know everything.

Just now, Falcon1986 said:

The UDM/Pro is like having the USG, POE switch and Cloud Key all in one.

What "large area" do you need to deploy 3 UAP-AC-Pros?

I don't think It has a poe switch, just a gigabit 8 port switch.

8 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I think it does.

What do you want to know about browsing? You can get a good feel, but with most sites being https, you won't know everything.

What is being consumed in facebook, youtube. I'm not interested in what people are watching. Just the Download/Upload rates.

8 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

The UDM/Pro is like having the USG, POE switch and Cloud Key all in one.

What "large area" do you need to deploy 3 UAP-AC-Pros?

Thanks for your reply,

About 1500m2/1600m2

7 minutes ago, WotanZend said:

What is being consumed in facebook, youtube. I'm not interested in what people are watching. Just the Download/Upload rates.

yea you should be fine there. 

What speeds do you have from your isp?

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

yea you should be fine there. 

What speeds do you have from your isp?

500/100 Mbps

Just now, WotanZend said:

500/100 Mbps

How many users do you expect? My guess is that you won't have to monitor bandwith too much with that speed

IDK your exact building layout, but you might want more aps if you see heavy usage or lots of users.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

How many users do you expect? My guess is that you won't have to monitor bandwith too much with that speed

IDK your exact building layout, but you might want more aps if you see heavy usage or lots of users.

Between 30/50. It really depends. Yeah, probably will need more AP´s, i will just check out if 3 are enough. If not i can really expand that.

Thank you all for the help. I will post again when i have it all setup. Cheers.