Will a 13 inch macbook pro run Logic Pro X well?

Hi,

I am looking into getting a new laptop for starting my 3rd year of university in September. I have been drawn to the macbook pros as they seem to be a popular choice among students and this would also give me access to the apple exclusive software that I have never been able to use as I only have ever owned windows PCs. I am aware that I could get a more powerful system with the money that would be spent on a macbook however I already have a good gaming PC that I do the majority of my heavier load tasks on and have no interest in gaming on the go as I do still live at home and not in student accommodation/dorms. Other than the software that I would gain access to I also like the idea of the compatibility between a macbook and my iPad Pro (2018) that I use for my sketching.

The main apple exclusive software that I have always wanted to own is Logic Pro X as I am spending my spare time recording guitar and I would like to take it to the next level to create full tracks. Due to the music production software still being relatively new to me I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on which macbook would be best suited for my needs. I am currently deciding between the 13 inch macbook pro (2020) and the 16 inch macbook pro (2020). I will link both options below so that the specs can be seen.

Macbook 1:

https://www.apple.com/uk-edu/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro/13-inch-space-grey-2.0ghz-quad-core-processor-with-turbo-boost-up-to-3.8ghz-512gb#

Macbook 2:

https://www.apple.com/uk-edu/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro/16-inch-space-grey-2.6ghz-6-core-processor-512gb#

I would like to be able to use multiple plugins simultaneously which was my main worry about the 13 inch version as I am unsure if this model could handle it. I am still a student so saving money is always good but I would rather pay more now and not regret my purchase in a few months.

Thanks in advance for any help

I would just get the base model 16 and never look back.

It's much more refined than the 13, and more powerful than the top end 13 for about the same price.

That laptop will easily last you 10 years no problem and run anything you want.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

I would just get the base model 16 and never look back.

It's much more refined than the 13, and more powerful than the top end 13 for about the same price.

That laptop will easily last you 10 years no problem and run anything you want.

Ok thanks a lot, I was just unsure as it is obviously more convenient to have the smaller form factor of the 16 inch version however I wasn't sure if it was worth the trade off in performance

14 minutes ago, Peter Boyle said:

Ok thanks a lot, I was just unsure as it is obviously more convenient to have the smaller form factor of the 16 inch version however I wasn't sure if it was worth the trade off in performance

With the 16 being slimmer and having smaller bezels it's actually not a huge laptop, it can easily fit in any backpack.

Although the 13 would perform fine, I think I would regret not having a larger screen and extra power a few years from now.

Ideally apple would have released a 14" macbook similar to the 16, but instead they just replaced the keyboard on the old 13.

I have a 5 year old XPS13 which I'm planning to upgrade now for those exact two reasons, screen a bit too small and not enough power.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 hours ago, Enderman said:

With the 16 being slimmer and having smaller bezels it's actually not a huge laptop, it can easily fit in any backpack.

Although the 13 would perform fine, I think I would regret not having a larger screen and extra power a few years from now.

Ideally apple would have released a 14" macbook similar to the 16, but instead they just replaced the keyboard on the old 13.

I have a 5 year old XPS13 which I'm planning to upgrade now for those exact two reasons, screen a bit too small and not enough power.

Ok, thanks for the help!

8 hours ago, Enderman said:

Do have to say the 16” is a LOT bigger than the 13”. If you put my 16” next to my lass’ Air it’s stupid. Plus it actually takes effort to carry in one hand 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

4 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Do have to say the 16” is a LOT bigger than the 13”. If you put my 16” next to my lass’ Air it’s stupid. Plus it actually takes effort to carry in one hand 

It's like an inch longer and two inches wider, still one of the most portable 15" size laptops, I guess he could go to an apple store to compare if he wants.

MacBook Pro 16-inch review A typing power-house image 15

16-inch-MacBook-Pro-Top-Features-Butterfly-vs-Magic.jpg?quality=82&strip=all

Spoiler

19 minutes ago, Enderman said:

It's like an inch longer and two inches wider, still one of the most portable 15" size laptops, I guess he could go to an apple store to compare if he wants.

It just feels a lot bigger like in the first shot it looks giant. I’m happy with mine tbh but just something to consider 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

12 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

Yeah this was one of my worries when it came to using it at university as it would be harder to carry around

12 hours ago, Enderman said:

I would go into stores and compare however in the UK (or Scotland at least) all the apple stores are closed due to the Covid-19 lockdown :(

Just now, Peter Boyle said:

I would go into stores and compare however in the UK (or Scotland at least) all the apple stores are closed due to the Covid-19 lockdown :(

Right... :(

Spoiler

11 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

It just feels a lot bigger like in the first shot it looks giant. I’m happy with mine tbh but just something to consider 

Yeah it does look massive in that image but I guess I will have to either see after the lockdown ends if the 16" is too large. Im sure it would be fine but it is a lot of money to spend and risk not getting the right model for me

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Right... :(

Either way, even if I have to wait until this is all over the info/opinions you have all provided has helped a lot :)